PDA

View Full Version : 17 year cicadas

gpriddy
03-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Just wondering what everyone on the east coast are telling their customers regarding the 17 year cicadas?

Maryland dept of agriculture says: "Cicadas will not significantly affect most large, healthy trees. Small trees, however, can be more seriously damaged by the female egg-laying which can cause browning, breakage, and scarring on affected branches. Property owners and managers can reduce damage to smaller trees by pruning them lightly or not at all the season before emergence. Damaged twigs may be pruned out following cicada activity. Small shade and ornamental trees can be protected by covering them with cheesecloth or finely woven netting to prevent females from laying eggs in the twigs. To avoid potential damage, consider delaying this winterís pruning of landscape materials until after egg-laying stops next June. In heavily infested areas, commercial growers should be prepared to delay planting new deciduous trees and shrubs until the fall or spring following cicada emergence."

How have you changed your spring services?

Jackman
03-11-2004, 01:05 PM
I have not mention anthing to my customers in reguards to the 17 year Cicadas. I remember the 17 year Cicadas back in 79 and 96 or 7 didnt notice any tree or shrub damage just lots of dead Cicadas and shells. Is it a little too early for them to return I had figured 2013?

gpriddy
03-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Maryland nurserymen association have said that it would be huge for md, va, pa, oh, tn, ky, nj. I would assume that it would be for ny as well. check with your dept of ag and see. they say that this years generation will generate 1,000,000 per acre in a 4 to 6 week window...that is HUGE.

D Felix
03-12-2004, 08:41 AM
As I understand it, the cicadas come around certain areas, not everywhere. So some places will have them one year, others will not. The next year the areas that didn't have them may.

I think we are due for them this year... Let's see.... I was, um, 8 when the last round came. No wonder I don't remember them!

Dan