PDA

View Full Version : Beware Lesco and Symbiot

PRGN1
03-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Just to let you know Lesco and symbiot have teamed together. what this means is that only a select few will be able to get rock bottom pricing .Symbiot only allows so many in a certain market area.If your competitor is a Symbiot partner they can buy products at much lower prices.To top it all off last year Lesco gave a 3% refund back to all Symbiot partners. My self i do 99%of my purchchasing with Lesco . But not any more !!! Called Lesco tonight told them to come a pick there product up.Called another company will have new product delivered on Monday. I will personally boycott Lesco and any other company affiliated with Symbiot. Any respones would be greatly appreciated.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-11-2004, 07:24 PM
what is symbiot never heard of them?
have any more info?

PRGN1
03-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Symbiot is a landscape buying group. Try www.symbiotnetworks.com

airborne1
03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
sounds to me like skull and bones network.

ProMo
03-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I quit buying from lesco a while back thy want 145 dollars for 2.5g of roundup pro and I found a different fert supplier that has the same product 40 bucks cheaper

Tony Clifton
03-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Why didnt you stop buying from Lesco sooner, they sell to Trugreen etc at even better prices then Symbiot partners get. Its a volume thing, the more a company buys, the better pricing they get.

turf78
03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Wake up man this started 12+ months ago. Lesco has set prices for Symbiot menbers.........how does that hurt you?

PRGN1
03-12-2004, 06:49 PM
When your direct competition can buy at 10 to 20% less than I can.They can offer better pricing. IM in a very price competitive market so price is very important.Yes you can beat them with a higher quality service.But dealing with window shoppers price does come first. Turf 78 do you happen to be a Symbiot partner?

turf78
03-12-2004, 08:11 PM
10 to 20% is a big number. 2 to 5% I can see. Do what you have to do. The group price is no way close to the big guys. Again the "team up" started over a year ago. Lets all charge the same price as the gas stations do, whether you are a supplier or applicator.

sodzilla
03-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I just got a Home Depot ad in our paper today. There in the lawn care section was Lesco fertilizer for sale. They even had it mixed with deminsion. I guess I never noticed it before. Has Home Depot always had Lesco fert or is this new?

Puttinggreens
03-12-2004, 11:43 PM
I saw some 24-5-11 last spring in Home Depot, $1 or 2 above Trashco though.

PRGN1
03-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Sample price for one case 2.5 gal. x 2 for momentunm my price at Lesco 184.75. Symbiot price 154.00 . That is around a 15% savings.It all dependes on how much buying power you have with Lesco.

tremor
03-13-2004, 09:58 AM
PRGN1,

Prepare to boycott all of the following Green Industry suppliers.

John Deere
Husqvarna
Ariens
Tanaka
Gravely
Stens (check with your mechanics!)
Hustler
Caterpillar
Ditch Wicth
FMC
etc

Better not bid any snow either.

Meyer
Fisher
Western

Take care selecting trucks too. Between the 3 Symbiot Partners I deal with, I've observed them driving Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Hino, & Mitsubishi.

Rumor has it some even shave with Gillette razors, so stock up on Shick.

See for yourself.

http://www.symbiotnetworks.com/marketing/sln/p3List.php

Maybe joining Symbiot would be an idea? They offer some nice networking solutions. And then you needn't grow your business the hard way to arrive at the $100,000.00+ per year purchase incentive arena.

PRGN1
03-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Tremor, I agree should join Symbiot but they only alow so many in each market area. yes my market area is sold out .The only reason im using lesco as a example because i know some of there pricing from symbiot. Yes it will be very diffcult to boycott all companys with symbiot. But in the future i will look elsewhere if possible.

turf78
03-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Sample price for one case 2.5 gal. x 2 for momentunm my price at Lesco 184.75. Symbiot price 154.00 . That is around a 15% savings.It all dependes on how much buying power you have with Lesco.

Bad info on the $154.00, it is higher.

earth works inc.
03-15-2004, 02:20 PM
what is wrong with local landscape companies joining an organization that helps you compete with the larger companies
in todays market.

I personally have benefited by joining symbiot for the past two years. Discounts, rebates and bidding on national accounts.

Maybe more time should be spent trying to be more competitive than making inaccurate statements.

greenworldh20
03-15-2004, 02:38 PM
well said, earthdude!!!

i have been a symboit member for 2 years now...the benefits outway the fee i paid to join...our rebate alone from john deere landscapes was 6x our fee!!!

increased buying power, good web chats, and other benefits...what more do you want?

are people afraid of change?

brian

PRGN1
03-15-2004, 06:52 PM
Never said Symbiot was a bad deal,If you happen to be a Symbiot partner great!! You are able to receive great pricing from a lot fo companys.Nothing wrong with that. The problem is Symbiot only has so many partnerships per market area.In my market area there are only three partnerships allowed,so there are a lot of us locked out.Lets use Lesco as a example we have 100 customers and only 5 can be a symbiot partner . so you have 5 with great pricing and 95 with so so pricing? Not much sense in that? As far as the momentum price I posted earlier that was the price I was giving by a symbiot rep. right or wrong not sure? But hopefully I can trust the symbiot rep with his pricing? Earthworks what do you pay for momentum being a symbiot partner? just wondering.. thanks

tremor
03-16-2004, 09:31 AM
PRGN1,

With all due respect, I think there is an underlying issue at work here that motivated this thread.

And why should you ever trust any person who is already breaching a confidentiality trust in a manner that is both unprofessional & self defacing? This person who has broken an existing trust *owes* you an accurate disclosure?

The wobbly train has now left the tracks.

It is what it is.

Steve

earth works inc.
03-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Prgn1 - not really sure what we paid last year for momentum. We were buying it bulk. seems to me that we average around 15 to 20 percent off regular prices.

sorry you did not get in at the beginning.

my leco rep always shakes his head when my prices come up on his screen.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-17-2004, 02:54 PM
thier really is no one by me that is a meber. The one that is the closest to me is 20miles away.

earth works do you enjoy it? Is it hard to meet the requierments?

Jason

ollie212@tds.net
03-17-2004, 04:22 PM
What i would like to know is how long of you LCOs that are symbiot been in business? I have been in business for well we are starting our 12 year.. I have been purchasing at lesco for 10 of those years. i to know longer buy from lesco about 2 years ago that started.. Reason for it I used to get my bag salt from them as i was stnading in line to pay for 1 of my 3 semi loads of salt i take. A man next to me was buying 5 palletts to my 22 that day. kidding he says to me did the charge me to much. I looked down and found out he was paying .30 less a bag then I . I said wait a minute was does he get .30 less then me . The lesco rep says he is a symbiot member. i have been purchasing product from u for 10 years fert. mowers, salt and anything else i need. I buy more salt then most of the people buying from them i know this because i was told by the lesco rep.. Wait im penelized because im not a symbiot member my choice.. and my prices are equal to anyone in my area matter of fact i one who says in tired of guys trying to drive the market down. I ***** becasue i bid 50.00 for a lawn and a guy gets it for 30.00 I know use another local dealer for our mower purchases we buy our salt from conserv FS and fert. and any thing else we need.. They treat us right . I was in lesco the otherday we have one of their older vipers still .. and we needed blades so i had to get them from there. only thing we buy from there. The lesco rep said what can i do to get your business back and i said nothing.. If you buy big you should get the low prices not because you belong to some assoctions.. I feel your pain.. 10 years of detication to lesco shot ..

ollie212@tds.net
03-17-2004, 04:27 PM
sorry for my spelling errors.. its my typing skills that suck ..i really can spell cant type

GREEN OASIS
03-29-2004, 01:22 AM
thank you for this thread >>>>
especially prgn 1
i looked into symbiot 2 weeks ago and became a partner based on post info and the real facts of landscape partners.>>>..
I had been operations manager and vice president of a LCO
untill last fall when i ventured on my own with great success>>>>
now as a sized down customer base with fast anticipated growth i am able to count on best material pricing available to me and focus on quality applications and customer satisfactio/ new sales/////
once again thank you all for bringing this thread up////

gt_racer50
03-29-2004, 08:01 PM
ProMo Lawn Services, where did you find the roundup at that price,please share.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-28-2004, 03:11 PM
any new joiners?

turf hokie
11-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Joined in July, love it never looked back. I got in after only being in business for 4 mos. They look at a lot of things before they let you in.

It allows me to compete with the big companies when I need to and it allows me to put more to the bottom line.

I don't do work cheaper just b/c my material is cheaper. I get what the market bears.

turf hokie
11-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Look to Shemin's for the cheapest Round-up prices, it is their loss leader. Cheaper than I get from Symbiot.

HydroRI
11-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Ok, I thought I had my mind made up to go with the Lesco program for next year but after reading this I don't know what to do.

Heres where I stand, I am a new business specializing in Hydroseeding & fertilizing programs. All the lawns I have Hydroseeded since August I got 90% as fert. customers and picked up some more here and there. So going into next season I will have roughly 15 fertilizing accounts. The only thing I have bought from Lesco is my Fert. spreader. I also deal with a local nursery who uses Lebanon turf products at a cost Lower than Lesco. I figured if I stuck with lesco eventually my price bracket would come down and I would get better pricing. Am I figuring this right? Where do I stand as a new customer? Any Suggestions??

TSM
11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Hydro, 15 accounts aint gonna use much product as you know

i happen to like lebanon products.

I'd say buy at the lower price now from your nursery connection.
Once you build up your customer count you can always go into lesco at that time to see if they will cut you better prices.

MrBarefoot
12-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Because of this thread, I too have joined the Symbiot network.

Thanks PGRN1 for spreading the word about this organization.

TSM
12-24-2004, 01:33 PM
now for the bad news.......
i was in lesco getting prices and in walks a landscape contractor from the area that I know very well. He is a symbiot member.
we get to talkin and he asks me what price i'm being quoted for a certain fert product and I tell him.
turns out i'm getting the product for .10 less per bag than his symbiot pricing.

DUSTYCEDAR
12-24-2004, 01:42 PM
oh well i kept my money and figured that with the volume i buy i will save on my own
i have found several suppliers that want my biz and have made me good deals on the products i use

MrBarefoot
12-24-2004, 01:56 PM
I am aware that I may pay more for a few things, but I am very confident that I will get getting more for the money I spend since I buy a variety of things from Lesco.

Before I became a member, I did some math and I would have come out ahead 17% if I was a member at the beginning of 2004.

CVNL
12-24-2004, 05:02 PM
FYI I am a Symbiot partner... I am a very progressive company, and I am seeing my business explode... I think you all need to take a look at our industry.. If we don't have a better edge, we are never going to grow.. I hope to hit 1.5 mil in sales soon. It has been a long hard road, but it is getting easier.. I have busted ass for many years making this go. Symbiot is not bad. Look into joining, before your biggest competitor does. They will put you out of business.. Just like Wal-Mart did to all the mom and pop shops. Either grow with the industry or get washed by the side.. Any one interested in any info let me know. A great organization....

out4now
12-24-2004, 07:14 PM
CVNL your PM option is turned off so :

At first I thought they were discussing Simplot that was misspelled. I've never heard of Simbiot till now. I looked at their website but details are sketchy. $750 a year for the purchase power is that right? How much of a discount are you really getting? Once I leave school and return to the field " if I return to this industry and that is a big if " It would be nice to know about it. May even use in a mock up class project. Thanks :waving:

PR Fect
12-28-2004, 09:45 PM
FYI I am a Symbiot partner... I am a very progressive company, and I am seeing my business explode... I think you all need to take a look at our industry.. If we don't have a better edge, we are never going to grow.. I hope to hit 1.5 mil in sales soon. It has been a long hard road, but it is getting easier.. I have busted ass for many years making this go. Symbiot is not bad. Look into joining, before your biggest competitor does. They will put you out of business.. Just like Wal-Mart did to all the mom and pop shops. Either grow with the industry or get washed by the side.. Any one interested in any info let me know. A great organization....
Jacob, is not EZ-Grow Fertilizer distributer from your area? They have their products down here in the valley. Can you not get a good price from them?

CVNL
12-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Jacob, is not EZ-Grow Fertilizer distributer from your area? They have their products down here in the valley. Can you not get a good price from them?

PR Fect - I do not use EZ-Grow products.. I buy my fertilizer bulk, for my store. I do not do applications. I do use some fert in my hydro-seed mix, and also when seeding and sodding.. I do not know what your prices are for EZ-Grow, but I pay an average of $350/ton for pre packaged fert in 50# bags
10-10-10 12-12-12 and a variety of other mixes. Those are my two most common uses for landscaping.. Lime is dirt cheap.. I pay an average of $40 a ton for that pre packaged in 50# bags. All bags come with my logo and store name on them. I can get any mix I want.... I would love to talk to you more about some of your products. I am always interested in gaining sources, and sharing mine. We do have a wholesale distribution business, and can get a lot of products for landscapers at; at least 60% savings... Being so close, shipping would be a snap.. Very cheap.. We have over 5,000 products. I am mainly using Symbiot as a networking tool, and for products I do not have a factory connection for. Fuel will come at a huge savings through Symbiot for me, as well as machine purchases. Through Symbiot, I can offer Health coverage to my employees through a co-op type program with over 8,000 employees. If you have ever looked into health coverage, the more employees, the cheaper you can get it. Good benefits attract better employees, and enable you to keep them for more Than a few seasons. There are a ton of other things I found Symbiot to be useful for..

DUSTYCEDAR
12-30-2004, 03:30 PM
if they can help your biz grow why not look into them

lawn king
02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
We joined the symbiot group today! The way i see it,we have worked very hard for decades and if we can save and grow by joining this group,we should join! I'm sorry for those of you that have been locked out,but this membership will improve our company in many ways! We have no intentions of reducing prices,the money we save will be invested back in the company for new trucks and equipment.

upidstay
02-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Home Depot has been selling Lesco, at least here in CT, for a few years now. Usually in 25lb bags, and pretty limited selection. usually their lower quality blends to.
Lesco has been doing the volume pricing thing for a while. The more you buy, the better the prices you get. We do alot of athletic fields, so we buy 3-4 pallets at a clip. We obviously get a better price than the guy buying 15 bags at a clip. Do you charge the same amount to fertilize/1000' to the guy with 2500' or 250,000' ? No, you give them a volume discount.
As for Symbiot and them teaming up, we are in an age of mega-corporations. So much for anti-trust laws. SBC buying AT+T, Sears and KMart, pretty soon everythin g will be s couple of companies