PDA

View Full Version : How have your bids been going so far?

geoscaper
03-11-2004, 08:09 PM
I know it's still early, but I was wondering how other lcos bids have been going. I try to contact my customers early in the season before the mad rush begins. The thing that I hate about the industry the most is someone who calls on April 15 and expects the work to be done on April 22. Have you been getting a lot of calls so far? Do people seem to be holding on to their wallets closer?

sgallaher
03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
So far I have been getting about half of the jobs that I have bid on. Have several jobs out now waiting to hear back from the customer. The phones have been ringing steady but wouldn't mind it to pick up more soon.

D Felix
03-12-2004, 08:44 AM
I know we've gotten a couple of smaller bids, but the one really, really big one went to some one else. That wasn't too big of a surprise, didn't expect to get a $900k job our first time out (no, that's not a typo).

If I ever get some time, I'll start a thread on that bid....

Dan

landscapingpoolguy
03-12-2004, 02:37 PM
I have been running into alot of Tire Kickers/Price Hunters.. ...People are definately holding onto there money more this year, but its still early, also people dont liek to hear that grass service prices went up, but so did gas.

ksss
03-12-2004, 08:41 PM
This time of the year sucks. Everyone is anxious to fill their calenders with work so everything goes cheap. I still have snow on the ground so I am not too excited yet. I am getting a little worried about diesel prices.

kris
03-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by D Felix
I didn't expect to get a $900k job our first time out (no, that's not a typo).

If I ever get some time, I'll start a thread on that bid....

Dan

Id love to hear about it Dan .. I'm envious of the stories I hear in the States about 1M residential jobs.... just sold a residential here for 145k. Pretty happy about that one.
We are booking up nicely. The big home and garden show is next week and we always get lots of leads from it. Im excited about our booth this year. We will leave it partly unfinished showing a work in progress sort of theme. Equipment etc will be left in. Our 40 year reputation as a Greenhouse operation stands on its own but we still get people saying ... "Oh I didn't know you did landscaping" We are really starting to focus on changing that perception. Never had any kind of budget for advertising the landscape side of it and now we are starting to feel we need to if it's to grow the way we want. Don't get me wrong we get plenty of business from walk ins to the greenhouse / garden centre but we are looking to double our construction business in the next 2-3 years.
Sorry for the ramble...when I hear a 900k construction job my ears perk up.

Meadowbrook
03-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey...thats not a bad idea, the whole 'work in progress' thing. Maybe when I get a few grand saved up that I can afford to do that, I just might use your idea, thanks :D

Chris

kris
03-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Chris... we get a heck of a deal on our booth. We rent the organizers of the show hundreds of tropical plants and the "feature booth" in the best spot of the show is part of the deal. Our stone supplier delivers pavers and retaining wall right to our booth and picks it up after the show for no charge (we pay for any cut stone). It will take us approx. 90 man hours to build it and we'll have 7-9 guys tearing it down on the Sunday night in about 3 hours time.

Meadowbrook
03-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but since I've never used a booth, what do they normally cost? I know that different areas have different prices, but just kinda give me a rough idea. Thats nice that your stone co. comes and picks up the 'unused' materials for free, how'd you ever get them to do that? The majority of the places around here are $$ hungry. Just let me know whatcha can find out, thanks.

Chris

NCSULandscaper
03-14-2004, 01:21 AM
things are better than wonderful this year

kris
03-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Booths really do range in cost from city to city , state to state, big show, little show. A booth our size at this show is worth about 5k.
We buy alot of stone in a year....they treat us well. It's also good for them to have there product in the show.

Meadowbrook
03-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Holy crap.....5 grand for just the right to use your booth? Without buying any materials first? I think that I just might hold off on the whole display thing for another couple of years. I was figuring like 2-3 grand for everything, and I'd be able to reuse the bark, stone, pavers, and plants. I dunno, I might still check and see what I can find out. Thanks for your input and help.

Chris

John Allin
03-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Bid.... I hate that word..... it implies that the low number is the "successful" number.....

We don't "bid" anything. We quote work and then negotiate a contract.

A "Bid" requires no sales work, and little or no expertise - just a sharp pencil along with a hope and a prayer that you don't screw up and give away too much.

Just my opinion - but it seems to work for us.......

Lawn Tek
03-14-2004, 03:44 PM
What John Allin said !

culand
03-16-2004, 12:03 AM
If you are talking about new jobs -- then we are doing very good.

As John Allin said "We quote ..."

Spring is all ready here ,days are longer and phone keeps ringing. :blob3:

Cultural Landscape

Landscape and Lawn care

Let it Grow
03-16-2004, 09:29 PM
My bids are going well. I'd guess I'm gettng 75-80% of them. I feel really good about it too because I'm charging what I should, and people aren't complaining (for the most part). In fact one of my customers told me to not even to give them an estimate, just do the work, and bill him. I would not normally do that (do work without giving the customer an estimate) but he has had me do quite a bit of work for him, and is comfortable with my work, and my pricing...and he's a doctor!