PDA

View Full Version : "homeowners" Beware!!!!

roadhawg3
03-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone. Just signed up today, have found a lot of useful information. I am thinking about buying a new zero turn mower and would like to get some input from those that have been "there". I have been pricing, and comparing several different mowers both walk behind, and riders. Lowes has a Husquvarna 38" rider for $2699. It is not a "commercial grade" mower, but rather for "homeowners use". This is much less in price than all the others. Ace has a Scag commercial rider for $5999. and a 36" walk behind Scag for about ($2674) So I am wondering if this " homeowner"unit at Lowes would stand up in commercial use?:confused:

ElephantNest
03-12-2004, 06:03 PM
No chance. Spend the extra, get a commercial unit. If that scag is a hydro, good price, if not, run away! Exmark 36" belt drive are around $2000.00, hydros are over $4000.00.

dcondon
03-12-2004, 06:07 PM
check out cub cadets, we have 3 of them...........Great machines!!

chines63
03-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Don't ever buy cub cadet. JUNK

Doc Pete
03-12-2004, 06:19 PM
If you are starting in “Business”, you should be buying “Business equipment”, plain and simple. Homeowner stuff it just that. However, if you starting to work “Part time”, that’s a different story and you should buy whatever you feel you can offer to begin making money.

dcondon
03-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by chines63

what do you mean Cub's are junk. There is a little bit of mtd in everything. We have had very good luck with them and have a dealer that is excellent!!!!

mtdman
03-12-2004, 10:31 PM
The cub cadet commercial lawn mowers I have had for 7 and 6 years are certainly not junk, and hold up better than the majority of the crap people brag about on here. Like dcondon said, mtd has it's hand or parts in many mowers on the market today.

tedk
03-12-2004, 10:40 PM
total crap. cubs that is. we started out with a cub. of course we also started out with a handheld blower and a ryobi weedwhacker. ahhhhh, the things experience teaches us.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Why is a handheld blower junk??? i have both a handheld and a backpack blower. On most small sidewalks the handheld is better time i get the back pack fired up and put on I could be done,short sidewalks 50 ft or less, Just a ????? not a to start a fight

grass_cuttin_fool
03-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Why is a handheld blower junk??? i have both a handheld and a backpack blower. On most small sidewalks the handheld is better time i get the back pack fired up and put on I could be done,short sidewalks 50 ft or less, Just a ????? not a to start a fight,
Road hawg I would go with the scag , the unit from lowes may hold up a season or so but i think the scag would serve you longer and better

tedk
03-12-2004, 11:22 PM
well, we do have a craftsman handheld we use around the shop when all the real blowers are out.

tedk
03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
well, we do have a craftsman handheld we use around the shop when all the real blowers are out.:D

wriken
03-12-2004, 11:46 PM
I have 3 cubs, 2 60" and a 72" all ztr riders, no problems with them.

wriken
03-12-2004, 11:49 PM
road hawg , of the choices that you mentioned, I too would go with the scag.

wriken
03-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by chines63

what kind of mowers do you have?

tiedeman
03-13-2004, 03:21 AM
the cubs work out great for me.

ken50
03-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Brand new here, but if a statement is made that Cubs are junk, can you tell us why they are junk? What makes you say they are inferior? Frequent breakdowns, poor cut? I am getting ready to buy, and need some real guidance....

Thanks

DJL
03-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Opinions are like a-holes, we all have em' and they all stink.

One of the major problems you will find with this site, IMHO (LOL), is the biased opinions people have. Perform a search about what truck is better of the big three. I can tell you how I like SCAG and all of the great things about them. However, I can't compare them to any other mower because I don't have them and have only been in business a year. Try to find someone who has owned multiple mower types to get a fair comparison. I can say, don't buy equipment from Blowes or Home Ripoff. It's all second hand crap, in my opinion. :D

charlies
03-14-2004, 09:52 PM
that is very true. however, most of us would agree that you are definitely better off to buy commercial equipment over homeowners models. and the reason we know this is because we tried to get away with saving a buck when we started.

dcondon
03-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by DJL
Opinions are like a-holes, we all have em' and they all stink.

One of the major problems you will find with this site, IMHO (LOL), is the biased opinions people have. Perform a search about what truck is better of the big three. I can tell you how I like SCAG and all of the great things about them. However, I can't compare them to any other mower because I don't have them and have only been in business a year. Try to find someone who has owned multiple mower types to get a fair comparison. I can say, don't buy equipment from Blowes or Home Ripoff. It's all second hand crap, in my opinion. :D

So what you are saying is John Deere is Junk............ They sell them at Home Depo, along with others!!!!

Cleatus
03-14-2004, 10:25 PM
oops

MOturkey
03-15-2004, 08:28 AM
I personally, although being new to this business, and site, think that you should buy the best that you can afford. As far as brand, I have little experience in that area, but I think perhaps you should, especially for a first time buyer, look more at dealer support than at the particular brand of equipment you buy. If you purchase a mower at Home Depot or Lowe's, get 25 lawns lined up, and your mower breaks down, how quickly do you think you can get it up and running again?

Even if it costs you more money upfront, I would purchase my equipment at a dealership that specializes in commercial lawn equipment and has an in-house shop. If there are several dealers in your area, ask around about their service. Ask the dealer what the average turn-around time would be on a basic repair if you brought your machine back in. My Gravely dealer here told me upfront that if mine should ever require shop service, any machine purchased from them normally takes only 24 hours to repair and get back into service. That is worth more to me than a couple of hundred dollars I might save going the chain store route. Just an opinon, but I suspect many will agree with it. Neill

amw
03-15-2004, 10:43 AM
some dealers will also "give" you a mower of the same size if yours is going to be down for more than an hour or so..(mine dosent charge me anything for this service).

I would agree with all the people who have said "dealer support".

(most commercial mowers will do a better job, faster and easyer then a "home owner type".) (you can do ATLEAST 2 times more work in the same amount of time using Com. mowers)

I personaly use exmark, but thats because thats what "I" like and the dealer(s) i use sell and repair them.

But its like the "big 3" i like ford & gm....you will NEVER find me in a Ram, or any car made by them, But thats because "I" dont like them ...theirs nothing realy wrong with the ram....its just a personal prefrence! (this isnt a slam on rams for you guys that are driven them!)

luke1
03-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Check out the Gravely line-up. They have been around along time and I have not had a problem with the ZTR 152z i have, they do not seem to have the big advertizing market exmark and some of the others have. Exmark, scag, toro, whatever you buy make sure they have a good after the sale service department.

jajwrigh
03-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Never waste your money on non commercial stuff! I used to have more problems about equipment letting go in the middle of jobs, but now all of my small engines are echo and my main mower is an Exmark. Homeowner stuff will all be replaced in time so don't buy it to begin with!

DJL
03-15-2004, 08:58 PM
dcondon,

I'll leave it as you have your opinion and I have mine. Have a great day!!

Rod73
03-18-2004, 02:23 AM
MTD makes great mowers and trimmers and whatever else!

Rod73
03-18-2004, 02:28 AM
If you buy an MTD product, they contract their warranty work out to the same commercial dealers that everyone is speaking about. Usually they offer a 2 year warranty on all their equipment. Get what you can afford until the money starts rolling in. MTD makes good equipment with great warranties.

flyboy
03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
The John Deeres they sell at Home Depot are crap! They aren't the same John Deere that are Father's had back in the day- to say the least. J-D sold their sole to Home Depot just like Husky did. That's why you see a lot of Stihl products out there. They ain't the best, but they stayed with the independent dealers and they are the guy's that stock the parts. Try going to Home Pot and getting some parts for your J-D. Buy a Hustler Super Mini-Z and some Stihl products. Everyone knows that they're great because you don't see them at the Big BOX!