PDA

View Full Version : Cab-Overs on the Road

dbear
03-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Hello all. I'm not a lawn pro, nor am I a scab (the only lawn I mow is my own), but I have a great respect for what you all do, and for your knowledge. That said, I hope somebody can answer a couple of questions for me.

I know that CO's handle well around town, but what about over the road? I'm not talking mega miles like a semi, but maybe 100 miles of expressway driving a day, an few days per week. Are they able to handle 65+ MPH without shaking themselves apart, and if so, which makes & models, and what engine-tranny-ratio combination? Looking for probably a class 3-4 truck capable of handling a 12'-16' van body.

Thanks...

Mr DanO
03-13-2004, 08:34 PM
dbear, I've been an over the road truck driver for 25 years. I ran from minnesota to the east coast for 21 of those years. The straight trucks you are talking about are more than capable of the mialage your talking about. Look at all the delivery trucks in your area most are cabovers. as for makes thats apersonable choice

specialtylc
03-13-2004, 11:36 PM
I have a Isuzu NPRHD crew cab cabover. Drives really well. Had it 2.5 years now with zero problems. It has the 4 cylinder diesel. Top speed is 72 mph. They aint no powerhouse but its a really good around town truck. Also fuel milage is about 12.5 mpg. Isuzu and Mitsubishi dont have any options as far as axle ratios, tranys, or engine.

pottstim
03-14-2004, 02:36 PM
I drive a 2004 Isuzu NPR with a 14 foot Supreme box at my full-time job. We've had it since the second week of December, and we've got about 4,500 miles on it so far. As of now we are getting 11-12 miles per gallon with the diesel engine/auto trans combo. I expect as we get more miles on it, we might get a little bit better mileage. This bests our old Chevy box truck (350 V8) gasser that only got 8 mpg. I wouldn't trade the Isuzu for anything else on the market for the application we use the truck for. It handles wonderfully for a truck of its size, and the turning radius is incredibly tight. This is important because I do a lot of city driving in it. Like someone mentioned above, 72 mph is the top speed because the truck is governed. The Mitsu truck we demoed before we bought the Isuzu was also governed at 72. These trucks do ride rough because the wheels are located under the cab, plus the springs are very stiff. Having a load in the truck does help matters. Our truck feels much more comfortable with a load on it suspension-wise, and a load hardly drags the engine down at all. One other thing, the diesel can be a bit stubborn in colder weather. I usually will let the truck idle for 10-15 minutes before I drive away in it. There is a nob on the lower lefthand side of the dash. Turn it clockwise and it will idle the engine up for faster warmups. The Mitsu trucks also have this feature. If you have any questions about the Isuzu, feel free to PM me.

Tim

pokemon
03-14-2004, 03:04 PM
I also have a 2002 Isuzu NQR with a 18 foot box and a shop built hydraulic ramp similar to the Super Lawn Trucks. Let me tell you this truck is about 2ft longer than my F150 and it has a better turning radius hands down.

Like the others have stated the truck is governed with a top speed of about 75 mph. great visibility fun to drive in the city and oh get this for its small size 4 cylinder auto it also come equip with a standard air brake assist like the big 18 wheeler rigs.

You barely will notice when the truck have a full load about 12,000 pounds it a diesel with about 13,000 miles so far. as for makes & models, and what engine-tranny-ratio combination look around town and notice what the truck rental yard are renting. For example budget and Ryder just to name a few. Good luck with your research. :cool:

Pokemon