PDA

View Full Version : Firefighters

Fire/Grass
03-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I have a couple question here for the firefighters that I know do this line of work as a part-time job. Please let me know how many clients you all are able to mow for and if they are commercial or residential. Also what kind of shifts you are working and if you get a kelly day or not. I currently work an 24/48 without a kelly day and I'm just trying to get a feel for how many clients that I should try to take on. I'm only interested in doing residential and I will be doing all work myself. Most lots I'm looking at are between half and one acres. Thanks for any help.

ffemt1271
03-14-2004, 02:39 PM
we work 24 on 24 off for 5 shifts , then 6 off in a row. i have 15 now and can do in a day and 1/2. mostly residential, some commercial

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-14-2004, 03:41 PM
24/48....every 11th shift is an EDO....I also had 15 residentials last year......somtimes 1 day sometimes 2 ...depending on the weather and my fatigue......

Things go slower when I am up on the meatwagon all night...

Derek

Florida 5 Star
03-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Im a fire fighter paramedic that works 24 48s and I have a property management company and a real estate license. I end up cutting about 80 residential each week. It fluxes in the winter I do less but still about 50 consistyently each week. I do have 1 employee and short of him cutting pool encolsure screens once in a while he is great. Cant drive but thats another story. Mind you that my accounts are rather small. I can have most done in 15 minutes all by myself (cut, edge, weed wack and blow. The beds are done every other week)

tiedeman
03-14-2004, 08:08 PM
man, I don't see how you guys can do it. I would be so tired

Joe25
03-14-2004, 08:21 PM
I work 2-2-4. 2 days, 2 nights 4 days off. I cut grass on at least 3 of my days off and sometimes prior to my 1st nightwork. Last year I had 20 regular lawn accounts and I also did alot of landscaping.

Florida 5 Star
03-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Sleep is an option lol
The pay generally stinks but the benefits are great how many time in your life can you really say that you have made a positive difference in someones life, Well if you were a firefighter you could say that almost every day. We are not getting rich but it depends on how you measure wealth.
Saving a life is very rewarding and it cost very little.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-14-2004, 10:51 PM
I have never been much of a sleeper........but being up 4,5,6, times in a night after 10 or 11 pm can make the next day a little rough.....

On top of that I have a 2 and a 4 year old at home that I play Mister Mom for while my wife works....They are the reason for all my work.

I get alot of gratification from a well maintained property.

Derek

FFMED74
03-14-2004, 11:19 PM
I have the 24 on, 24 off, on, off, on 4 days off. Last year I had about 6-7, no problem. One of my LT's had 35 by himself last season. Another has 65-80, but has a couple guys work for him. I am looking for 25-30 this year with some commercial. Residential bids are starting to come in.
Be safe!!

Fire/Grass
03-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey gentlemen, thank you all very much for your replies. They have all been very helpful. Keep them coming

jackelope68
03-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Fire/Grass

Please don't take offense of what I say. I'm really trying to help. I am also in the Cincinnati area. From what I see every fireman and their brother is "getting into the business" and it is killing the market. There are a few fireman who have built very successful business and all their co-workers see that success and think it is easy.They start one year undercutting everybody just to get business and most of them quit after a year or two. The problem is that there is a new wave every year and that is driving the prices down for the rest of us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are serious, Don't bid jobs low just to get business. You have a good income now and that gives you the luxury to pick and choose what you take. If you bid jobs at a fair price, you will be able to make a lot of money and not just stay busy.

A classic example: a lco had a large commercial property (pain in the @#s) he did for 2300 a cut. the following year a firefighter starting out business bid at 1500 a cut, leaving 800 on the table. he bought a but load of equipment and buy the end of the year he realized his mistake and went out of business

I'm not trying to discourage you, There is plenty of business to go around. Just don't make the common mistake i made when i started. don't bid jobs just to stay busy, bid jobs to cover ALL your expenses and make a fair wage

Dan

Fire/Grass
03-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Hey Dan, I really think alot of your post. I greatly respect a honest opinion like that. I'm one who is never going to work for free and I have given this great thought. I would love to touch base with you again and discuss what are some of the going rates on average so I know what is fair vs. lowballing. I'm looking to stay very close to were I live and only interested in doing residential accounts. So any further advice would be great. Again, thanks for the honest comments.

Travis

FFMED74
03-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Dan,
Not trying to pick a fight because I agree with you that too many people think this is easy and low ball into the market, but I do take a bit of offense at the "you have a good income" statement. I have to work someplace else to make ends meet. We are not paid what we are worth, but I am sure most of us do this fire job because we love what we do and we know we aren't going to get rich. I actually have 4 part-time jobs, which means my kids cry when I come home cause some stranger is at the house, lol, it isn't that bad, but close. I work as a paramedic, construction, mow and teach CPR. I want to be successful enough at mowing to drop the other jobs. I don't low ball, but I try and be fair.
I think too many people think the firefighters just sit around and suck money off society, which is not true, we training, clean gear, station duties and workout. Do we have down time, of course. Are we masters of doing great things with very little manpower or support, absolutely. Just remember that because you see a big fire truck that doesn't mean there are 5 or 6 ff on board, around here you are VERY lucky to get 3 off a truck and more times than not 2.... We have 4 at my stations and they run an engine, tanker, ambulance and boats. Sorry I got off there a bit, but my point is we are these rich guys out there trying to make MORE $$$$, we are trying to provide enough so our family can have and not go without. Again, not fight picking, just telling my side of a story that doesn't get heard to much.
I agree keep the prices fair so we all win!!!! Thanks for letting me vent LOL!!!

jackelope68
03-16-2004, 02:10 PM
fmed74
I'll be the last to say firefighters have it easy. I know what is involved. My brother is a firefighter and i have a few friends who are firefighters. I had the opportunity to go in the field but I didn't think i had what it takes. My " you have a good income" statement was to mearly say that you don't have to take jobs mainly to put food on the table( I know what firefighters make in Cincinnati,) I think they are underpaid, but it is enough to get buy, This allow time to be careful and take on only profitable accounts and build a successful business. Once again I have nothing against firefighters. Its a job that I wouldn't want to do

Dan

hmorgan911
03-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey Guys. I just bought my first ZTR and now am officialy in the lawn "bidness". Fortunatley for me I only have 1 lawn to mow, mine. I get paid in cold beer by a beautiful blonde at the end of every job. She keeps me plenty busy with the landscaping portion of my bidness around the house. I know what you guys all are going through. I'm a Captain in a small dept. in the Dallas area, 22 years now. Looking forward to retirement in 3 more years, so my "LCO" will be my full time bidness! Been working 24-48's my whole carreer and have done all kind of odd jobs and part time work to have some nice things and provide for the ones that are important. Be fair to your customers and to yourselves and keep your market up. People will always pay for quality. Besides, you already have the first best job in the world, now you can work on the second. I love making our place look nice and getting "greenis" envy from neighbors! Good luck and be safe Brothers.

firekilr2
03-17-2004, 12:46 AM
LT. Paramedic working 24-48. 16 V-days, 9 Kellys. 32 accounts, but 5 are large. Love it but just cant do any more. Full landscaping also, wife says I am crazy. (shes probably right)

Fire/Grass
03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Firekilr2...I also am a Lt.Paramedic but I work 24/48 without a Kelly day. Thats why I'm alittle sketchy about getting to many accounts. I had a gentleman from one of our HUGE lawn care companies(they only do commercial accounts)tell me that with my scenario he would have more then one in a half full days of work on my plate. If rain got me, he said I might never catch up if I had any more than that.

firekilr2
03-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Fire / Grass work your way into it. Been doing it 5 years and reached my max. I have 27 residenyial and 5 comm. One is 25 acres, one 24 unit complex, one 34 unit, and a couple of small bus. 4 days of mowing with part time help. Just hire more if I get behind. Good luck Email if you want to chat sometime.

Eclipse
03-19-2004, 12:22 AM
For the full time Firefighters following this post, how difficult is it to secure a full time position with your department. I am on a paid on call department in the township where I reside, and full time positions are very hard to come by in SW Michigan. I would love to secure a full time position, even if I did have to relocate.

Thanks.

Florida 5 Star
03-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Eclipse
Go to www.ocfrd.com and check out our Recruitment Information
We plan to hire about 400 this year
We also have a "non Certified" Program where we pay you while we teach you no education required
Our starting fire fighter working 24/48 pays about 37k with built in Ot
Good luck
Paul

Eclipse
03-19-2004, 12:59 AM
Florida 5 Star, thanks for the link.

I forgot to apologize to the author of this thread for getting off topic with my question. I just thought this would be a good place to ask my question. Thanks.

Fire/Grass
03-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, feel free to talk shop. I can read between the lines! LOL. If your all interested in dropping me a line here is my email address.
tlransom@zoomtown.com

Also, my department is also getting ready to bring on 6-9 more positions for next year. Drop me a line if your interested in working on the ARFF side of firefighting.

kmeku
03-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Fire/Grass,

I'm a Firefighter/Paramedic working 24-48 hr shifts with a kelly day every 7th shift. My kelly day is friday which works out good for mowing. Friday is always my big day. I have 20 accounts mostly residential. My decision on how many accounts to take is based on how much overtime was available at the F.D. We used to get about one shift per week. Now we just hired 20 new people so overtime went away. So now I will be taking on new accounts. I've been in the lawn business for about 10 years part time. With the fire dept. schedule I think 30-35 lawns is a good number. It still gives you a bit of free time and a fugge factor for weather.

good Luck,

J.M.

RJHLandscaping
03-21-2004, 07:00 PM
I just wanted all of you to know that I work a 24 on 72 off schedule. Good to see there are so many bros on this site. So it is good will that I posted, but that is one hell of a schedule, huh.

Florida 5 Star
03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
RJHL
Great going so how many accounts do you have? You should have more than enough time for a bunch. Or does your wife make you work another job like mine does lol
The only other place I know that does that schedule is Boca Raton and you either have to know or be related to someone to get a job.

RJHLandscaping
03-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Wow, one on three off in Boca, that should be illegal. I have 30, as this is my first year out on my own I'll see how it works. I work on an engine that runs a minimum of 20 calls a day. I wanted to see how I am on that first day, as far as motivation goes. As for you two part-times and a fireman, that must be murder. Why not pick-up a few more accounts?

Florida 5 Star
03-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Rjhl
My hats consist of
1. Fire Fighter / Paramedic in a house that averages 12 but about 50% are after midnight (Soon to get promoted to Engineer and get off the box)
2. Property managment Company (wifes business) 54 homes of head aches from cloged toilets to leaky roofs
3. All the Land scaping and Installs for Property Managment plus 25 others.
4. Real Estate License (big bucks in Florida)
5. Paramedic Instructor for local college
6. Paramedic Feild Preceptor for my Lt who is in the Paramedic program. (It is weird I get to be critical of my boss and get paid extra for it)
7. Microsoft certified Network administrator for FD (more stress than its worth but unlimited overtime I get to remote in from home and get Ot)
All within a 24-48 schedule

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-22-2004, 06:01 AM
I have limited myself to 1.5-2 days a week for mowing/maintenance.... My kids are my most important off day project. I hope to have them work with me someday.

Derek

RJHLandscaping
03-23-2004, 09:12 AM
5 Star what do you do with your FREE time, lol

Florida 5 Star
03-23-2004, 07:48 PM
RJHL
Lawnsite LOL

Fire/Grass
03-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great responses from this thread. Good luck to you all this season!

timmz69
03-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Well since were talking about shift work, im an Aux Corrections Officer. Im on call and do call outs for 4 on 4 off...my shifts can be nights, afternoons days, different program shifts...There's alot of different shift. So far this year I have 2 commercial and 5 residentials and ill take a few more. I've had seconds jobs before and I found it easy to work around my job. If I do a night shift ill just go do the lawns right after I get off shift. If I don't get called for a morning shift ill get up and go cut lawns. Same with if I know im working an afternoon ill get up early and go do lawns. I've talked to some of the people that im working for and there very understanding and were glad that I told them that I do have a second job.

Also im not going to take too many contracts that im hurrying to each contract and not doing a good job. Everybody is in it for the money but some people don't care if they do a crappy job, don't be that person. So it is possible to do it doing shift work.

firedog2710
03-31-2004, 12:27 PM
my schedule consists of 1-on,1-off,1-on,1-off,1-on,4-off and starts all over. we get kelly days off, so i work 9 days a month with an average of 56 hrs./wk. my wife is a part-time R.N., full-time mother of one 4 y.o. boy (and one 31 y.o. man). i am also an R.N. and critical care paramedic. right now, i'm not using my nursing license, but i do have to work a second job to make ends meet which i am trying to eliminate with the lawn care business. my department has OT available usually only once every 2-3 mos. we only have 21 guys. we are a 100% union shop (incl. the chief, only one in the area). we cover about 3.5 sq. miles. our primary truck is a '92 pierce. it's an ALS pumper. our backup is an antique 1975 open-cab seagrave. we don't have an ambulance, so our EMS truck is a '96 silverado 3500 4x4 rescue truck. that is all going to change because we are going to eventually get an ambulance, probably pretty soon. right now its cool because the majority of our calls are EMS, which is probably no different than most of the services discussed here, but we are the first responders, so we arrive, stabilize, and pass the pt. on to the private ambulance service we use. usually at the most, we'll be tied up for a half-hour. then it's back to washing my truck or watching a movie back at the engine house. i am really going to miss that. i'm rambling.

Groundcover Solutions
03-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Eclipse what department do you work for? Just cerious, I know a few guys at different departments around MI. Pluse some of the privet ambulance companies. I have friends in the biz pluse I made some friends when i was going through EMT-B las summer.

homerescue
04-05-2004, 10:53 PM
24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24on 4off. plus long vacations and holidays. Have 36 this year, 1 five acre, 1 three acre, 2 two acre, 3 one acre, the rest vary, Also about half are full service, and may get some fill in work on some city parks. Also plow and salt in the winter. Actually this little side business is getting very time consumming. Wish I would have seen this post sooner, hope some of you guys get to see my post. IAFF local 89

cubzforce
04-15-2004, 01:26 AM
Hey ya'll just got done reading ya'lls post on here, I am a FF/EMT-I 15 mins south of atlanta,georgia. I thought WE or (I) had it bad. HAAAAAAA NOT EVEN close. But some of you guys have a sweet k-day, ours is every 3 months.LOL SUCKS TO BE US. and most of the time we have to work it actually (they make us) our dept. is growing like weeds shootin up miracle grow. BUT anyways, there is one guy in my dept. that quit to invest and build his lawn biz. after he did that he came back to the dept for the benefits. Myself, heck i am small time, all in all there are only around and hand for or dozen or morre that actually have big accounts going on others are like me and are small timers. I am soon fixing (hoping) to go big. But takes money for business license,corporation fees and insurance. I want my company to be done up right. Now advertising thats my weak spot. I aint got a clue on that. Maybe some of you other fellars can help me out with that. Good luck yall be safe out there fellow brothers.

FIRESCOOBY
05-01-2004, 11:11 PM
CubZforce:

What department? Clayton?

I work with Gwinnett. I am "thinking" of getting in the business as a part-time job in the next couple of years.

To the guy looking for work: If you wanna move to Georgia we will be hiring about 200 or so in the next year or two. We are a 700 personnel/ 25 station department that provides fire and EMS transport. We had approx 70k incidents last year. My station averages about 30-35 calls in a 24 hour shift between engine, ladder and rescue.

parafighter4
05-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Most firefighters are not here to low-ball anybody...they're making money to support their families just the same as anyone else. No need to knock a man who works a 24 hour shift and mows 20 hours of his 48 off. Most people have no idea what the fire service is all about and what firefighters go through....I would be careful how you talk about them.

parafighter4
05-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Sorry guys, that was for jackalope....FTM-PTB!

firegrass
05-04-2004, 08:25 PM
24 on 24 off work every day i'm off except sundays. :blob4:

Itsgottobegreen
05-12-2004, 01:32 PM
I am a Volly in Mt. airy, My father and grandfather were volly's. My fire house we have 3 guys who have business. A couple of times we have had 4 trucks and trailers in the parking lot whe n there was a call. I lost account to a FF from DC who lowballed me, i talked to him later, he said he wouldn't have done that if he knew i was also a firefighter. I get alot of our Part time paramedics ask me how hard it is, since i am only 18.

Tx Firefighter
05-12-2004, 10:42 PM
24/48 here. No Kelly days, just 1 on 2 off.

I did 37 accounts last year solo, and it got to be a little much trying to make up for rainy days. This year I'm sticking at 20 accounts. Most of my accounts are bigger, up to 3 acres.

lawnboy51
05-13-2004, 12:00 PM
My dream was always to become a fireman. But my parents wanted me to goto college. Played football in college and injured my back. Now I'm 33 and would love to be a fireman. Am I too old to start the process? I used to have my EMT but that expired years ago. I never practiced. I'm in computers now and do a few lawns on the side. Anyone have any suggestions? Too old or not? I'm in northeast Ohio.

Thanks

stslawncare
05-13-2004, 01:54 PM
definitly not, some of our best firefighters are double your age. a neighboring company has the "tuesday morning crew" youngest member is 56, driver is 80 something, all are average 70's

T. Matthews
05-13-2004, 04:43 PM
ff here too
Hey everyone,

I'm plugging my way into the fire serivce, right now i m a call ff and a wild land ff for the feds. I 've been running my bussiness for almost 8 years. I love it got a fed job were I take it easy then I work when it comes to my self can't complain. I have some com. and some res. I also have gotten into lawn installs just bought a new kubota 7800 nice machine.

Florida 5 Star
05-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Lawnboy51
go to www.ocfrd.com
We are about to hire about 300 this year
Both certified and non

boddie6657
05-31-2004, 02:19 PM
240n 24 0ff-------26accounts.8 commercial. usually work from 8a.m. untill about 12 2 days a week. I use a 36 W.B

Team Gopher
06-18-2004, 04:13 PM
I know this is an older post but I just wanted to bring this back up to all the firefighters in the forum. We are having our House / Fire House Makeover, Gopher Challenge June 2004

If you want to get involved, you can read more here (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74911).

johnson grass
06-18-2004, 11:41 PM
It is just great to read the threads from Brothers in the same shoes as me. I am a Firefighter in North Alabama 24 on 48 off with a kelly day on the 7th shift. Im sure all of you no how blessed we are to have a job were we can help people yet have extra time to make a second income for our families. This is my first summer going commercial and i have 20 acounts to take care of a week. I feel like i can handle 40 a week by myself with not much strain, so im still trying to get some more yards. The city i work for is opening the bids for there lawn care in November for the 2005 season and it is a ton of mowing i really hope to get the contract. Again its great to read all of your stories. Look out for your brothers beside you when inside and God Bless. Chad

lawnprosteveo
06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
Hey brother.. I work 24/48.... we get up about 3 or 4 times a night...average about 4 structure fires per month... I cut around 50 residentials each week...my captain cuts about 80. Its all in the equipment and helpers... stay in the house!

gunner27
07-01-2004, 12:39 AM
If you guys work a rotating schedule like that, how do you cut somebody on the same day like thursday of friday? Do your customers get mad if you cut them on differant days?

lawnprosteveo
07-03-2004, 10:17 PM
I have three days that I cut. Day 1 is Monday or Tuesday. Day 2 is Tuesday or Wednesday. Day 3 is Thursday or Friday. I let people know I am a firefighter up front when I bid their yard and explain my schedule. Ive had noone complain...in fact I think people give me more latitude considering my odd schedule.

Shuter
07-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Part-time sounds funny. I work 2 - 24 hour shifts at the station each week, try to fit in 20 hrs OT. and spend 30-40 hours servicing my 40 or so customers.

dmc337
08-09-2004, 11:40 AM
I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones.....I'm a Paramedic working 3 1/2 days per week....then I have the rest of the week to devote to my accounts (just enough to keep some extra $$$'s coming in)...not really sure if I would want to take on any more mows just yet......the market is pretty saturated in my neck of the woods. I don't advertise, just keep getting accounts through word of mouth (still the best way, IMO).

fireshawn1175
08-10-2004, 11:19 PM
I am a firefighter in Austin, TX. We work 24 on/48 off w/ a kelly day every 19 shifts (about one every two months). I have 15 residentials that get mowed weekly to every 9 days, and 15 rental props that get mowed monthly. I also do custom brushhogging as needed. We come on shift at noon, so I mow before and after, and then not at all on my full day off unless I get behind.

FFjay
03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
My dream was always to become a fireman. But my parents wanted me to goto college. Played football in college and injured my back. Now I'm 33 and would love to be a fireman. Am I too old to start the process? I used to have my EMT but that expired years ago. I never practiced. I'm in computers now and do a few lawns on the side. Anyone have any suggestions? Too old or not? I'm in northeast Ohio.

Thanks
Not to old for Virginia. www.pwcgov.org look up fire and rescue then recruitment.

FIREMAN Q
03-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Its great to see so many brothers on this site. I work a 24-72 schedule. Its the best part time job I have ever had. LOL. My department does about 2000+ runs a year. We are one of the busiest in my area. I'm just getting into the business and as of right now I just have 1 condo complex. My plowing busisness went from 13 residential last year to 43 res and commercial this year. I'm hoping to take the lawn business to the same level.

I posted a thread asking about lowballing. Its in the newbie section. I was suprised to see that so many people on this site have problems with FF's working on the side. I think that the general public thinks that we are all over paid and just want to steal the lawn jobs. Besides going crazy with all the time off, I couldn't afford to live on the salary that I am given. Out OT went out the window with the last wave of hires. Check out the thread if you want a good laugh.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to do this or not but check out my website. ITs local photos of various emergencies. http://www.qsfiregroundphotos.blogspot.com

BE SAFE, STAY LOW

4x4Jim
03-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm a Volunteer, so its easy to get my accounts done.

firehoyt
03-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Firefighter here in Birmingham, I'm just getting started (by myself) and I hope to have about 6 yards (homeowners) a day on my days off (24 on;48 off) and not work any weekends. Luckily I have a flexible job for an ambulance service so I can fall back on if business gets slow, rain, etc.

Ocean Side
03-10-2006, 08:02 PM
10's and 14's here 2 days 2 nights, 4 days off, Can't stand not to be busy, I work in a busy union shop where most of the guys have an outside full time business as well.

lafrance4078
03-10-2006, 10:19 PM
24on, 24off,24on, 24off, 24on,4 days off. no kelly days. IAFF local 65, My hall is a relativley slow hall, but I float to the busiest hall in the city almost every day. Engine and ladder. I have a small company. But have 2 part-time employees. Trying to do only commercial this year, accounts are hard to come by. Our goal this year is 100k gross. Department starts at $25,500/year. 360 members 19 stations. 20 1st out engines. All engines are ALS. All members are HazMat Techs or above. HazMat Team is CBRNE.

hosejockey2002
03-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Modified Detroit schedule (like above post) with 17 kelly days. I work by myself, about 1/2 install and 1/2 maintenance. I work at a busy station (3K+ runs per year), makes some of the days after shift kinda rough. But like most of us, I'm a workaholic and of all the part time gigs I've had in the 14 years I've been a full time FF, being in business for myself is by far the best.

jsf343
03-11-2006, 01:28 AM
I wanted to say I am not a fireman, but have always wanted to be one as well.(heard that mentioned earlier from someone) I really appreciate all first response personel. It is a crazy world in this day and age but I have the utmost respect for for ya'll, including police and military! (I am a former Marine myself) Once again, thank you for working those nutty hours and your sacrifice! God bless you and AMERICA!:usflag:

Paradise Landscapes
03-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I don't know if this counts but, I'm a volunteer firefighter. I run business as ussual. If I'm on a jobsite and we have a call and I'm with-in our responding area, I'll try to make the truck before pulling out. When at the office, I respond to calls, even when I'm sore from working. Man that adrenaline rush is something!

Branchland
03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I work 7 days in a 21 day cycle. No Kelly days. I like the schdule. As for the business, my wife works too. So when I'm at the station she does the work like any other day.

FyrFyt
05-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Just wanted to say Hi, I do the 24 on 48 off. Had just started my lawn biz early last year when Uncle Sam thought it nice to give me an all expense paid trip to sunny Afghanistan. Can't complain, like all fireman we do it for the love of the job.

Luckily I had very little invested initially so I told the few accounts I had what was going on and they understood and wished me luck. Hope to be home in a couple of months. Been making plans to crank things back up on my return.

task125
05-26-2006, 09:00 AM
I work a 24/72 and no BLS:clapping: Local 304,just starting out and my first post.Great site

MTAYLORFFP
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I work the 24on, 24 off, 24 on,24 off, 24 on then 4 off also, have just accounts now, which was my goal this summer, I want to have 15-20 next summer... I also have a part time gig at 17 or so an hr, if things dont get going good, which could help pay for my new equipment i plan on getting next spring (gravely 34 z)...

bnorton
05-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I am a firefighter/paramedic and work a 24/48 schedule. Our department averages around 12,000 runs per year. I currently have about 30 lawns that get cut each week. Free time=none.

PerfiCut L&L
05-31-2006, 12:18 AM
24/48 with Kellys, soon to be 24/72. When I first started it was myself and one other person, also a FF, same work schedule.

First year we had about 12-15 clients. Did all our cuts on one day, and use the rest of the week as off time, or to pick up misc jobs. Worked fine, but $$$ was slow. Made just enough to keep business going with little $$$ in our pockets. Actually, no money in our pockets since we invested 100% of the profits into the business. Second year, we bought better equipment, upgraded from walk behind to zero turns. Job times were cut by about 40% on the larger lots, and 20% on <14 acre lots. Load and unload times were cut drasticaly with the purchase of a zero turn as well. Excellent investment if you can afford it.

Working by yourself, I would think about 8-12 properties a day would be a good work load. Enough to bring in decent money and yet not overdo it either.

Upgrade as soon as you can afford to. ALways think "TIME" how can do it more efficiently and still keep the same good quality work.

Personaly, I would try to pick up one extra person.
Good luck.

firefightergw
05-31-2006, 02:47 PM
24 on/48 off here. Last year was first year in business. Mowing 35 lawns weekly now with 1 person as part-time help. It's about my max without the risk of running behind. Just bought a Ford Ranger that I will be putting a landscape bed on (Just Mowit Style). Hadn't advertised in a couple of months but now that I have added a truck will be advertising heavily again and will hire another employee. Would like to have two guys out in the Ranger 5 days a week doing 80-100 yards. Plan on adding at least one truck a year.