PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery

ken50
03-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I have read lots of posts concerning cemeteries on here, but would still like to ask some specific questions. I am BRAND new, thinking seriously about getting into mowing. I have no equipment, other than what I have to do my own yard, Home Depot edger, trimmer, etc, plus the 21" TroyBilt mower. I have a very good chance at an old, country cemetery, that is 2 1/2 acres. The guy that is doing it now charges $300, and he is used as needed. The cemetery is far from full, from what I recall, I haven't been there in a long time. I have family buried there, so would kind of like to get it. What equipment would you suggest for this job, since I know the cemetery will be pretty tough on it. Is $300 a pretty fair deal for doing this work? Just looking for some feedback, sorry it was so longwinded.

Thanks

grass_cuttin_fool
03-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I use a walkbehind mower with a velke, I have a 52 inch mower and i make 3 passes per row of stones. The cemetary i mow has about 10 ft of space between them (front to back) So i think atleast a 44'' inch mower would be good. I prefer the toro mowers with the T-bar controls, that is my prefernce not to say it is the best. If the stones are in line and you dont hacve to do any backing up i like the belt drive, but if the stones are out of line and you have to back up much to go around a hydro drive would be the best mower.I would also look in to a comercial trimmer and a backpack blower. I dont mulch but maybe look into a mulching mower to cut down on blowing clippings on the stones. My ideas are not the best but maybe this will get the ball rolling

ken50
03-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks! I am just wondering though, if I should start with a 36" or so, for backyard purposes, since I will only be getting one machine to start? Are zero turn riders going to get beat to death in a cemetery like that? Looks like your smallest mower is a 48", besides your 21. Do you wind up having to use the 21 a lot in backyards?

Thanks for your feedback!

grass_cuttin_fool
03-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Actually i have no fenced in yards to mow,I use the 21'' incher for islands in parking lots. And yes the 36 '' maybe be a better choice for a single mower if you have fenced in yards. Im not sure about a z mower, never have operated one but i am about to make the step up to one i think.One thing i like about the walkbehind is I can see the deck very good in the cemetary. ohhhhh I forgot in the other post, due to the mounds of the graves i prefer a floting deck, my scag is fixed deck and the ground is not flat enuff to use it.

tiedeman
03-14-2004, 02:22 PM
there was a great article in L&L about cemetary work. But what I found to be interesting about the article, it seemed to me that most of the LCO's didn't like doing them

grass_cuttin_fool
03-14-2004, 03:35 PM
I have had good sucess from the 2 i do, they are like a commercial account, they want to be looking good each week and not grown over, have been good $$$ makers for me. The only thing i have to watch for is the schedule of a funeral, You can go in and mow early or late in the day, doesnt bother day sleepers or anyone during supper time or family time

Doc Pete
03-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
there was a great article in L&L about cemetary work. But what I found to be interesting about the article, it seemed to me that most of the LCO's didn't like doing them

If you are good at knowing your equipment, you'll love cemeteries. Riders, "usually" are no good for Cemeteries, becuase the ground is so rough from sinking graves. Also, though most guys use a straight shaft Weed whacker, the bent shaft is just faster, lighter and easier to drag across the front of graves.
DP.......
20 years doing cemeteries..........

tiedeman
03-14-2004, 06:51 PM
how many blades have you bent Doc? In the article they were talking about hitting gravestones and benting blades like a few times during the year. If I hit one I would be done. I just can't see hitting them all the time, it's almost like no respect for them or the families

Doc Pete
03-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
how many blades have you bent Doc? In the article they were talking about hitting gravestones and benting blades like a few times during the year. If I hit one I would be done. I just can't see hitting them all the time, it's almost like no respect for them or the families

I have one helper for the Cemeteries, and we've never bent/hit anything. Frankly, since I've done the experimenting, riders will cause that problem. You hit a deep divot and before you can straighten the machine because your body as moved a lever, you've hit a stone. For years I used a bobcat/velky combo and then switched to the Hustler/velky. Visiblity with a WB/velky is much better than a rider........
DP

ken50
03-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, thanks for the input guys. I am going to go look at the cemetery tomorrow, so wish me luck! Anyone else with advice, sure would appreciate it.

Thanks again