PDA

View Full Version : Tracked skid steers

clcare
03-14-2004, 07:45 PM
does anyone own tracked skid steers and between cat,asv or bobcat which one is best I really like the asv, cat tracks (both the same) any input and experiences would be appreciated, cause this is a large investment

D Felix
03-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Unless you are constantly in situations where a tracked machine would be better, you are probably better off buying a wheeled machine, and renting a tracked machine when needed.

There have been several articles in the last year or so on which is better for what in trade rags. I think the two we get at work are "Equipment Today" and "Landscape and Irrigation".

What are you planning on using them for? What is will the terrain be like, how much will it see pavement, etc?

Dan

clcare
03-14-2004, 09:13 PM
we will be using it for pools where destroying existing grass is frowned on, we will also use it to strip land like a dozer and backfill basements, the extra pushing power of tracks is a required on the smaller machines in the smaller yards. also the snow pushing ability is impressive

Qualey
03-14-2004, 11:16 PM
If you are worried about ripping grass get a Bobcat A300 with 4 wheel steer. We have an ASV 4810 and a Cat 277, both ASV tracked machines. The only advantages are increased stability when lifting at max capacity (due to long operating wheelbase) and the ability to operate on snow and mud. These machines can make a much bigger mess of turf with an unskilled operator becuase they slice the topsoil off if not run smoothly. The ASV is the easier to maneuver due to its 2 slide hand controls, but the cabs are junk as are most of the ancillary fittings. The Cat lacks the ground clearance and the visibility, but you sit higher and farther forward and is a much nicer cab. I did not like the Bobcat's rough riding track system. Also, if run in narrow locations the ends of the Bobcat tracks will bend and crack as they are not reinforced to the outside edges. BTW, tracks are extremly expensive to replace and require periodic adjustment.
Good Luck

AL Inc
03-15-2004, 12:25 AM
I just demo'd the Cat 257. I have also run the ASV RC50. The Cat just seemed to be a better built machine. I understand the undercarriageas are both ASV. I really was interested in the tracked machines because we do a lot of landscape renovations and work in backyards where we are running over nice lawns a lot. The 257 did ride nicely when going straight, but when I tried some turns, it did rip up the grass pretty good. It was my house so no problem:o .
I'm still not 100% sold on the tracks yet. There are a few other machines I am going to demo. I know how your feeling Craig, it is a lot of $$ Mike

bnrhuffman
03-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Not to get a great debate going but I chose a 4X4 compact tractor to do what you mention. Tractors dont tear up the ground as bad as a skid steer. There is a reason they're called "skid steers". You give up some manauverability and strength with the tractor but it is more gentle on the grass and the implements are generally less expensive. Being in WV, I also do alot of work on sloped ground and the tractor is easier to use and more stable when on the side of a hill. Aside from a tractor, one of the wheeled, 4 wheel steering type of skid steers would be good at not tearing up the ground.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-15-2004, 09:50 PM
I own a RC-30 and think it would be good for 2 or the three duties you described. It digs real well (pool applications) and is small so backfilling is easy. I have not dozed with mine but think a bigger machine would do better for that task like a 50.
10 " Ground clearnace, Minimal turf damage 2.5 PSI ground pressure.