PDA

View Full Version : Moss mystery..........

khutch
03-14-2004, 08:58 PM
I've got a client w/Bermuda lawn. Just starting to green up. Lot of weeds, bermuda seems kinda thin.Not much compaction, good sun, nice slope and drainage, decent pH, but TONS of moss. I just hit it with iron, and am about to rake it out. It's a new customer, I'm thinking, how to fix the problem? The lady seems to be into bagging. I think they might also be light waterers who go awhile between mowings. I am going to recommend we skip the bagging and let the clippings fall. Aerate before my pre-M. Mowing at least once a week, and maybe be a little aggressive w/the nitrogen.
What did you all think?

work_it
03-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Sounds like you have the right idea except for the part of being aggressive with the N. That would stimulate excess leaf growth at the expense of the root growth. High rates of N in the spring and summer can also stimulate disease, weed, and insect activity. It sounds like he didn't have any fert. applied late last fall, and if that's the case I would apply .75 lb/K Nitrogen.

mow2nd
03-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Fertilizing isnt going to do you any good. Why and How does moss form? Usually in damp and shaded aeras. Also there is a concern with the PH. If the PH is off then the soil will not accept any fertilizer. Think about it, water is sitting on the top surface of the grass and is not getting absorbed to the roots which is the reason moss is formed, so how will the Fert get obsorbed in. That is your answer as to why the Bermuda is thin. Weeds do well when the ph is off because most weeds have a much stronger roots system.

LIME like crazy, 50 lbs per 1000 and dont be shy, you may even want to aerate. GOOD LUCK

work_it
03-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by khutch
Not much compaction, good sun, nice slope and drainage, decent pH, but TONS of moss. I just hit it with iron, and am about to rake it out. Aerate before my pre-M. Mowing at least once a week, and maybe be a little aggressive w/the nitrogen.
What did you all think?

mow2nd-
Seems to me that you forgot to read his post before responding. Sorry for pointing out the obvious.

mow2nd
03-20-2004, 06:23 PM
work-it
seems to me you need more EXP. Sorry to point that out

work_it
03-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Yes, you are sorry. Your age as well as lack of professionalism is showing. There's no doubt about that. Now, if you have something useful to post, other than insulting others just because you don't know how to read a post, please feel free to join in.

khutch
03-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks work-it. (both times!.....)

mow2nd
03-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Khutch - tried to help on the MOSS situation. They do make a product that you can spray which will kill the moss, however it will come back if the ph is off. Lime will work as well, but it does take some time, just keep pounding it. My suggestion was to use 50 lbs of Lime per 1000.

I would recommend you taking a picture of this MOSS mystery and post it on this site. I read your post, did you have to soil tested???

Since this is a NEW customer she probably has never Limed her lawn. If she has, she hasnt done enough Lime. Best thing you can do is get the soil tested. GOOD LUCK

Just trying to help.............I wish you and work-it all the success!!!