PDA

View Full Version : high test or regular?

roadhawg3
03-15-2004, 12:23 AM
someone told me that they always run high test gas in all there equipment. I cant remember why, does anyone have an opinion on this? please let me know what type fuel is best for you. Then there is the cost factor of the higher priced gas, is it really worth it?

Green Quality
03-15-2004, 04:54 AM
I use reg,runs cooler,everthing i use calls for low octane.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-15-2004, 06:23 AM
I run regular in all my equipment

GarPA
03-15-2004, 06:48 AM
I;ve always been told (or read) that 89 octane (middle) grade is best for the equipment and vehicles. Perhaps that is bs but thats what I;ve always used. I think I was told it burns a little cleaner

MOturkey
03-15-2004, 07:13 AM
I think the safest bet is to go with whatever is recommended by the manufacturer. Too high an octane is a waste of money, and, as I understand it, can actually be detrimental to your engine. My new Echo trimmer, however, does recommend 89 octane, so that is what I'm using. Neill

Tvov
03-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Pretty much all of my equipment recommends 89 octane, but I have always run the cheap stuff. I've never had any problems. When you buy a new piece of equipment, definitely follow the owner's manual, at least until the warranty runs out.

65hoss
03-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Mowers I run regular. The 2 cycle stuff I run mid grade. They run better on the mid.

amw
03-15-2004, 09:08 AM
if you have an "ear" for engines, you should be able to tell if 86oct. is ok ....or if you should run 89..
higher oct. fuel will burn hotter, which will/may also use more oil. also more wear on the engine.

I would not be using prem. (92+ oct.) in any equipment unless instructed by the company that makes the product.

(I love to laugh at people who are at the gas station filling thier SUV's and cars with prem. gas...when they would be just fine with reg. 86oct....what a waste of $, fuels, and engines, unless your engine is "pinging" you shouldnt be putting in hiher oct. fuels.. it will hurt your car/truck in the long run.)

$0.02 (all though most of this is based on fact.)

vadeere
03-15-2004, 04:14 PM
My experince with two strokes is that the higher the octane the better they run. I could really sse this with a outboard boat we used to have. Bottom line is run what the manufacter recommends, they know a whole lot more about that peice of equipment than you do.

GarPA
03-15-2004, 04:23 PM
I swear this subject is like Ford vs Chevy...I;ve had 2 mechanics over the years tell me to run 89 in the trucks...says it will give better gas mileage (not...they''re both Fords). With fuel prices the way they are, will I get allot of pinging if I go back to 87 in the vehicles? any other problems if I go back to 87? Both trucks have 40,000 on them. I think Kaw says 89 for the mowers but I might be mistaken on that

bugspit
03-15-2004, 09:08 PM
I think clean fuel is the inportant thing. Use in-line filters and use a funnel that is filtered. Coleman camping equipment stores has a filtered funnel that I use.
I have heard high-test in 2-strokes is best and I have used it without any noticable difference.
If my truck pings on regular, I'll burn a half and top off with premium.

If Bush went to war over oil...why are the prices going up?