PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of the yard business! Ive had enough

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Hello, how is everyone? Just wanted to share quick rant. Ive been doing yards for almost 5 years and it took me till last year to even build it up yp 24 (welcome to waycross, Ga.) Im now down to 8 yards total. What happened was I had 12 customers to move, 2 passed away and and 2 decided to get soeone cheaper. like 10 to 15 dollars a yard. All of my yards are residentual and no contracts. From Dec till Feb. I have about starved to death. Have not averaged a 100 bucks a week! I talked to several other lco and they said they tell all there customers that when they do a yard its year round. I do not have OBE customer that will go for that in the 4 month winter period. Iknow I need better customers but have not been able to get them. I do yards in the sommer every 2 weeks and it should be every 10 days and my customers dont want it done that often. All the good customers are taken and Ive got the trash no one else wants. I really like what I do and really feel like a big failure. I have a excellent reputation so where did I go wrong? I read one post here about a person that was thinking about giving up a 60,000 dollar a year job to do this. Geez if someone offers me a job tommorow for 20,000 I would be exstatic!! Ive got to ask my dad tommorow for some help I cant even make my ZTR payment due tuesday and another loan due tommorow. In my 45 years Ive never asked for money help but Im about to get in trouble. Im very humiliated. I guess tommorow I will be going to wal-mart or flash foods and applying for a 5.15 an hour job. Gee now I really feel good about myself. Good luck to all you folks who have done well at it but I failed miserably. Thanks for the rant but I still dont feel no better.

Danny
PS anybody in south Ga need some good lawn equipment, maybe youll have better luck at it than I did.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Sorry for all the misspelled words, typed it in anger after wife told me to sell all my equipment and get a real job. Am sending my cyclone rake back tommorow for full refund, just under the 30 day guarantee.

lawnlubber
03-15-2004, 04:25 AM
That sucks! I feel your pain. Maybe you can do this part-time along with something else until you replace those customers. Remember it is spring now, things will get better real soon.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-15-2004, 06:48 AM
hang in there spring is here and maybe something will come your way, wish you the best of luck

swim
03-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Nothing like looking death in the face and seeing just how bad it can be. I know that you weren't looking for advice but let me try to give you some any way. Use your anger to drive yourself to work as hard as you can to get even more customers this season. Don't work twice as hard, work 10 times as hard. Go pass out fliers every day talk to people, ask the remaining customers if they know someone who needs a service.

Don't give up now you have made it through the winter and spring is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SER
03-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Danny;
DONT SELL YOUR EQUIPTMENT! DONT GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS.
You are just in a slump. All successful men failed at first. Hang in there. Keep on trying. You can always find some other yards to mow. Go to a dirrerent part of the area. Just dont give up!!If you want to get rid of something, get rid of your wife! It sounds like she does not stand behind her man in low times.
SER.

SER
03-15-2004, 10:01 AM
Danny;
Different.

ollie212@tds.net
03-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Wow u sound real bad .. I have to say that maybe your not marketing your business right.. 10-15.00 per cut is not very much.. have u looked at your local munciaplites like your park district or for the city.. we have just signed or third contract with our local park dist, for 5 years. Its worth 56,000 for 26 cuts. do u contact realators. condo assoc. and get in high end residential.
good luck ..

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Hello.thanks for the replys. Yes Im glad spring is here but with 8 yards left dont feel real excited. Our are is so over saturated with lawn care people that getting a decent yard is very very hard. I have not picked up one new yard in over a year but d%$$mn if I cant loose 16 real fast. I lost all these is a 2 month period. wiped out about 1200 a month and thats a lot of doe when your a one man show. I did try for some other govt contracts, (see my other thread :need help fast on bidding on huge appartment complex" and the person that was doing it was so cheap could not even come close. SER you are right about my wife nothing I do has ever been good enough but thats another story for another forum. Along with my miserabe job have to come home to a miserable marriage. I guess the final straw came yesterday when I went to church and prayed for some new customers then the pastor whom Ive been mowing their yard for 5 years called me aside and told me he had got a push mower got 30 bucks was going to star doing it himself and he knows what a hard time Im having. BTW new pastor not the older one we had before. I walked out and mumbled to myself "thanks alot God" Im sorry should not have said that but really felt rained on LOL

scannon
03-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Hang in there due! Be persisstant. Check with local developers,Management co. , what about flyers, or door to door. give it a real try before you throw in the towel.

J&R
03-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I know how you feel. This is my 22 year doing lawn care. If i were getting in this type of work today i would say NO. I have seen this for the past 3 years, prices are going down and the cost going up every year.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks Scannom and J@R. I know a lady here who was one of the first lco in our area 26 years ago and she said recently the past 3 years has been the worst for her too. But like you said when youve done it for over 2 decades hard to start over again. I really blame it on the repressed area I live in. Heres a good example, last week went to a upscale neighborhood to look at a srub job. This old grouchy looking lady answered the door and I felt mt blood run cold ( u know the kind) I told her I would charge 18 an hour for the trimming and she liked to croaked! She then asked me if I charged 18 a hour for yard mowing and I told her no it was 35 a hour. She then hollered she was not paying that and slammed the door in my face GRRRR and was having a inground pool put in while I was there that was at least a 1.5 yearly salary to me and a new 40 grand auto under the carport. I despise these kind of old tightwads and I hate to say it the worst ive dealt with has been widowed ladies over 50 whoes husband was a Dr lawyer of smeone wealthy and these are the poormouthings jerks to deal with. When I get a call to the golf club (rich) area I will not even go look at the yard have had so many bad experieces with them. or thats the way it is here.

Danny

leadarrows
03-15-2004, 10:46 PM
The guy that told me this went broke three times before he made it. He owns a gravel pit now and I saw one of his cement mixers today....#89 and I know for a fact that he numbered them in order as he got them.
" The one good thing about being broke is you don't have any thing to lose by trying again."
1. Don't ever tell people what your hourly rate is.
2. If lawn care isn't doing it alone try adding other services like deck cleaning or construction clean-up.
Man after being self employed I would do anything but go to work for some one else. If you absolutely have to get a job say so you don't lose your house try getting a night job so you can still keep your lawn business till you get it going again.
Just my slant on things. I hope it helps.

kdmaint
03-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I feel your pain dude wife helped with truck payments this month fundes are low people dont pay bills on time i know was out today helping ex boss on construction project today for cash to put gas in trucks to plow tonight because i hate useing credit crds hang in thier and continue to chase work i know the feeling loballers out here to but in july and aug i had 50-70 hr weeks so its out thier you have to find it. ggod luck

kdmaint
03-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Hay it least you paid your internet bill

QualityLawnCare4u
03-16-2004, 12:38 AM
To KD, actually I havent paid my internet bill, its laying in the stack with the other bills I cant pay yet LOL I pay my light bill and food first, everything else can just wait. And I to hate usig CC but had to charge 40 bucks of gas today, had no choice. To leadarrrows, you were reading my thoughts about the part time night job and I to HATE the thought of going to work for someone else after being self-employed, the freedom is priceless!

Danny

twins_lawn_care
03-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck streak, but this is the time where real men are made. Don't start spewing pity for yourself, and complain about being down and out, and finished. Do the exact opposite! Do hours of research, go talk to people all day long about services. If you are not employed elsewhere now, you have all the time in the world to do this! Make sure to keep yourself and company image respectable. If you have to, drive 15 minutes and start targeting that area. Keep trying, and then if that doesn't work, try again! I agree to not quote jobs n a $18 per hour basis, but give a quote for the job. SO say $20 to mow, not $18 per hour. Customers will run if you use the hour estimates to their faces.
You have to remember that you are only a failure if you stop trying to succeed!
Good luck with your ventures. Hope I didn't come across too harsh, but sometimes that is what it takes.
Go be creative, be different, and set yourself aside from the rest of the LCO's. And in the mean time, be realistic, and get a part time job to help the family survive. There's nothing wrong with doing the LCO part time until it is established enough to be a full time gig. Hang in there, remember God only gives you what he thinks you can handle, so stick with it!
:blob3:

topher924
03-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Keep your head up and stay committed. If you do good work for a fair price the will come.

Lux Lawn
03-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Sorry to read about your tough times but hang in there don't give up.There is some good advise in this thread.Do what you have to do to save your business and to survive.Get them flyers out and talk to as many people as you can.You might be able to give you customers a small referral if they bring in a new customer for you.
Good luck
Larry

sgtgm5
03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Danny,

I'm in the same boat as you are. The only difference is that I so mad at myself for not planning. Lets see, This month I have not paid the rent yet, The electric bill is a month behind, Haven't paid the cell phone, Ohh, and the car payment hasn't been made. Even though I really feel the pain, I love what I do. I know there is a demand for what we do, we just have to plan, and make sure it,s on paper. No war is fought without a plan of attack. I sure wish that I didn't have to wonder where I'm going to get all the money to catch up, but now I'm hungry. I am ready to network. Met my potential markets and look diversity in the face. Great Company's weren't built overnight.

Point being, take a stance, understand what you need to to and pick a direction. Spring is right around the corner. When the bills start getting paid your going to look back at this experience and remember the pain that hurt and you'll find a way to never feel that again. I feel hollow know but I have confidence in myself. I myself can relate and I will take this experience to only betters myself and my business. Take the good from the bad and use it as a tool to further things.

I wish the best of luck to ya and to everyone who has everything on the line. All we can do is do what we think is right. Some will fall and that is expected, people give up, but I'm not going to be that one.

jajwrigh
03-18-2004, 06:00 PM
I am glad I read your more recent post first.....

ThreeWide
03-26-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm in your state, but North GA is much different from Waycross. That said, if there are any upscale neighborhoods in Waycross I'd concentrate on that.

People in upscale neighborhoods WILL pay good money for services if your quality is top shelf. Don't go cheap. Stand by your pricing and and back it up with great service. You could also do fall and winter overseeding for bermuda lawns which enhances appearance and also gives you reason to mow during the winter months. Offer them the whole season package.

I suppose there is always a need to clean up pinestraw and liveoak leaves in your area.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-26-2004, 05:47 PM
Hey Turfunlimited, how are things up in north Ga? Believe it or not, my upscale neighborhoods are the stingest tightwads in my area, they want you to do a 50 dollar yard for 10. and thats 9 out of 10 Ive dealt with. My best customers are the ones in middle class neighborhoods. And yes there is plenty of straw and oak leaves, the cyclone rake does great on both if you dont knock everything in yard over with it. BTW has anyone else had a rate invrease due to fuel prices, I raised mine to 5 on small yards and 10 on big ones. One customer told me 10 was not enough and gave me 15 . dont you love these kind! I hated to do it but have not gone up ever in 5 years and gas is killing me.

Danny

ThreeWide
03-26-2004, 06:27 PM
I wish I was really giving you an expert opinion. FYI, I am currently in startup mode with my LCO. What you read in my last post is clearly my assessment based on what I've gathered thus far.

In this area there is plenty of business to go around. If you look at subdivisions which there are tons of, most of the yards are between 5,000 and 10,000 sq ft. From what I've seen, $50 per cut is a typical rate for typical rotary mowing. My services will be much different from that and will have a higher price point. Not everyone will be a potential customer for me, so I'm being very selective with my targets. Golf course neighborhoods are great because homeowners like the idea of keeping their lawn in a similar condition of the course. I think you see where I'm headed with that.

I have already considered the high cost of fuel in my expense model, so I won't have to shock existing customers with a surcharge. Since I plan to target customers within certain neighborhoods, the goal is to minimize transporation costs as much as possible. You probably don't enjoy the same type of population density there in Waycross.

When the rubber meets the road and it comes to pricing negotiations, I plan to stand very firm or just turn away the business. If I cannot make a profit there are other avenues to pursue.

I will find out soon if it sinks or swims.

I personally think this is a great industry going forward due to the increasing amount of baby boomer population who will become less interested or capable of doing their own lawn maintenance as years progress. And in the North GA area, the home construction has not slowed down which creates new potential customers every day.

I think the most important thing anyone in this business should understand is where the threshold of pain is in a price. There are such things as loss leaders, but customers in this area seem to think rates are fixed forever. If you give one guy a good deal, his neighbor will expect the same. For that reason, I'd be hard pressed to do any deal where I made less than 30% gross margin after all expenses and labor costs.

SLS
03-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Maybe you just need to re-think your business strategy.

1) NEVER tell a potential customer your hourly rate. NEVER. People who have never seen $40 an hour FREAK when they think about someone making that 'playing' in their yard. Price quote by the job. Period.

2) Two week lawns have KILLED many a good lawnman. In my area, people who want 2 week service are penny-pinchers of the worst sort. When I first started out I took on some 2-weekers. NEVER AGAIN. Couldn't sell them ANY extras...and during the rainy season their lawns were a wet, mile-high mess to service. Spent two to three times the amount of time that I should have making them look nice....and if the don't look nice when you are finished....people will notice...and NOT call you.

I dumped ALL of my 2-weeker's after that first season (except for 2, creeping red fescue in plenty of shade...SLOW growth!).....and only have about 7 10-dayer's left. I'm dumping them too at the end of this season. When people call me now the first thing I ask is "how often do you want your lawn mowed?" If I don't hear "every week" (and cannot convince then to go weekly).......I tell them "Thanks for calling....and have a nice day".

This will be my 5th season in the business and the only reason I survived this long is because I stuck to my plan and said "NO" to the tightwads. It takes patience....but believe me, it pays off in the long run. Easier work, time for more clients (and doing extras).....and more $$$ per week.

Weekly lawn clients tend to spring for the extras....and don't mind paying for it either. Mulch, bush trimming, overseeding....you name it. Helps get you humping it earlier in the season too.

Good luck hardworking-poorman.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello SLS, not trying to be a smartalec but I chalenge you to come to my town with your plan and see if you get any once a weekers. NOT Im lucky to have 2 weekers and some 3 weekers. Our biggest LCO also does almost all 2 weekers. I would love to have ones like you got but not gonna happen here. I need to come to Tenn I guess. 2nd this is my old thread see new thread :I have had a change of attitude about lawn care: 3rd I NEVER tell a customer my hourly rate except this one old hag. When she opened the front door and I looked at the hate in those red eyes I KNEW I would not been doing business with this one for a 100 per hour. Once again when I read replys like this It sorta raises my blood pressure because I know where I live at sux and I envy people like SSL who has this kind of customers and I know it want happen here. Is there room in Tenn for one more LOL

Danny

QualityLawnCare4u
03-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Hey SSL sorry did not mean to sound so rough. Its just when youve busted yr butt for 5 years and all you have left is 8 yards and 7 of those are penny pinching, bottom feeders, deadbeats that I have to kiss their a$$ just to keep them its real discouraging. I am going to loose 2 of these next week when I go up 5 bucks and I know it before I ever tell them. Im glad things are so good up north though!

Danny
PS It really is that bad here though, 2 scrubs for every one yard.

SLS
03-28-2004, 07:08 AM
No offence taken. Just trying to help. I just know that if I was depending on 2-weeker's only...I'd look for another line of work. Nothing but 2-weekers (with the rate of spring growth and rain we get her) would be suicide. I wish I could hand off all the 2-weekers I've already turned down this season to you (5). I know it's got to be real hard in a smaller area. Good luck to you. I hope you do well. :D

Toehill
04-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey man go get some business cards made that say HARDWORKING LANDSCAPER
MOW EDGE AND BLOW
YOUR ESTIMATE: BI-WEEKLY $40-45
WEEKLY $30
put your name and phone number on it map out your area that you want to work in and start hanging them on mailboxes....You'll have more work than you know what to do with in no time. Be hardworking go out every day for 3 hrs and put out cards when they call go right then to talk to them!!!!!!!!!!!!IT WORKS!!!!!!!Ive got 90 accts and thats how i did it.......Sell them on how much better the yard looks if you come evry week.....Sell them flowers,pinestraw, clean gutters, pull weeds whatever you have to do....................DO YOU REALLY WANT TO WORK FOR SOMEONE ELSE?-------------------W O R K H A R D !!!!!!!!!!!!

whiteslawnservices2004
05-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by hardworking-poorman
Hello.thanks for the replys. Yes Im glad spring is here but with 8 yards left dont feel real excited. Our are is so over saturated with lawn care people that getting a decent yard is very very hard. I have not picked up one new yard in over a year but d%$$mn if I cant loose 16 real fast. I lost all these is a 2 month period. wiped out about 1200 a month and thats a lot of doe when your a one man show. I did try for some other govt contracts, (see my other thread :need help fast on bidding on huge appartment complex" and the person that was doing it was so cheap could not even come close. SER you are right about my wife nothing I do has ever been good enough but thats another story for another forum. Along with my miserabe job have to come home to a miserable marriage. I guess the final straw came yesterday when I went to church and prayed for some new customers then the pastor whom Ive been mowing their yard for 5 years called me aside and told me he had got a push mower got 30 bucks was going to star doing it himself and he knows what a hard time Im having. BTW new pastor not the older one we had before. I walked out and mumbled to myself "thanks alot God" Im sorry should not have said that but really felt rained on LOL

whiteslawnservices2004
05-02-2004, 12:37 AM
hey there i heared your geting out of the business well let me tell ya doing lawns by your self is one thing you cant make it all by your self time is money right.i only do 1 hospital and 2 trailer parks and make 3,500 per month most trailer parks with 90 tralers 1,000.00mowing twice per month. thats 500.00 per mow 190 trailers is 1,500 per month mowing 2 times per month 750.00 per mowing. but if you wont to sale this equipment the 717 or the other mowers let me know i have a john deere 797 with 72 in deck and a 777 i am saleing with the 72 inch deck all for 9,500.00 or the 777 for 9,000.00 because john deere doesnt take care of my warrentys like they should call me at 1-501-993-6043 ask for joe white if you run acrosss some one interested ok god bless and i wish you the best..

SPENCER HUNTER
04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
When I Bid I Go By The Job,, I Usally Can Cut A Acre, Trim Edgeand Blow In 50min Or Less I Can Make $40to $45 In That Time Faster Is Better,, I Usally Can Do 8 To 12 Per Day I Would Suggest Bidding By The Job Icharge 25 For 1/2 Acre,,30to35 For 3/4 A Acre,40to45 - 1acre,, But ,when I Cut Acreage It Is 15 To 20 Per Acre..

Patrick.B
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
man ,,,,don't give your dreams man.....if you have too Fine you part time job till you work your way back up with your lawn business,,,,,trust me ,,i've been there and i'm sure some of us in here been there too,,,,just hang tight in there man,,,,Good Luck !!!!:weightlifter:

mountianview
06-03-2007, 09:01 PM
You need to get pumped up, fired up and highly motivated,if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.never say never,pick yourself up and get it done,get that night time job to stay above water ,spend hours seeking new clients,you can do it,believe in yourself make it happen.the easy way is to give up let them pry your dead fingers off your mower before you give up,or give up and remember how you almost made it ,if you only stuck it out,or tried harder.lots of us are at the bottom trying to climb to the top,I only have 133 frost free days to build my mowing /landscaping business but my competition is also challenged by our weather.think positive,make it happen.

justmow&trim
09-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Danny, I dont know if you have state homes down there or not, but up here we do in upstate new york, i mean, homes for the mentally retarted. up here their run by the state, and they pay very good for showing up and mowing.
alot of companys dont want to do business with ny when the state budget doesnt pass, we have to wait six to ten months to get your money. but the state pays way.....way over average, just some more ideas.......greg

Pro Lawn Care.PLCInc.
09-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Times are tough...economy low...especially round here. Surprisingly I know some guys up here are charging as much as $70/man hour for straight mowing. I guess it depends on the neighborhood..I don't see that much. I know that I don't get my jobs by sitting on my ass though...I've tried. More of my customers come from word of mouth, business cards, and actually getting out and talking to people. I always try to line up other work too! I'm in the process of repairing an old pond/waterfall, fertilizing, hedge trimming, gutters, a half a dozen weeding jobs, and soon it'll be time to rake leaves:dizzy: I even take jobs such as staining decks or anything else because there's always time to do something else. You never know when we'll get that drought...so I promote anything I'm capable of doing.

flascaper
12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
There is failure but that does not mean you are a failure its just situation. Go into landscape installs. Learn the plants and some aspects of design. People pay alot for this service. I do not cut grass but make anywhere from 1500 to 2000 per week landsaping. I work out my home and have a 94 f-150 and trailer with hand tools all paid for. My shed isbehind my house and is full of tools all paid for. Having no overhead I am able to afford an add in phone books. I use a local free paper. And have service magic.com get me bids for 20 30 bucks a pop. I also have a web site that I use for new clients and say hey check out my pics on www.advantagelandscapeflorida.com. Its thru Go-daddy and is cheap as hell. Use modern technology as much as you can to get bids. You get a couple guys pay em under the table and hand em a 1099 if they make over 600 dollars a year. Buy a digital camera take pics of all bids go home design it by hand. Buy Quik books start up edition 2007 and use that to create your estimates and invoices and keep records and all reciepts. Get an accountant to help track and you will see. I can do one job a week take 2 days and the rest of the week off. I know this sounds crazy but with little overhead its easy. I do plan to expand and will start somwe lawn contracts next year but thats to keep my guys full time and have that contractual income coming in looks good on the books. But I intended to get the installs going first and then cut grass as a fill - in. More money in installs.

David Thompson
01-24-2008, 09:08 PM
The first year I started I put out 400 bids on commercial properties , every thing from stores to apartments to property management companies and I ended up with 40 of them right off the bat then the next year it seemed my bid had stayed in a file and was taken back out and I was called to put in an updated bid and got 10 of those jobs. I what I am saying is if it has grass try to get the job.

IndyChad
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Good advice within the last couple of months, but it has been 4 years since this post started!!!!!:sleeping:

Penscape Landscaping
02-05-2008, 10:40 PM
CAN YOU SAY CATAWBA COUNTY, NC!!!! Hang in there man it is hard but the rewards are great! Struggling myself! Drought, low ballers, and GAS!!! Feel free to ask ?

anrick
02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Man after hearing what you are going through i started to say iam glad i stop landscaping i had about 97 jobs brought in close to 90,000 a year had a crew of 7-9 depending on the the amount of yards for that week and do you believe i was in business for 8yrs and no mater what i did i could not manage it properly i ended up losing more than what i was bring in salaries were to high gas bill to much alot of equipment break down tools being left on jobsites you name it happen to me but after reading all these post that wants to uplift and support you i am really rethinking starting all over and try to learn from my down falls but i would like to leave these words of encouragement with you it is always darkest just before dawn and the cloud cant always block the sun it has to shine keep your head up and you will prevail and it is not always bad when your wife is on your back they want the best for you to .

The Lawn Ranger, Inc
03-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey QUALITY LAWN CARE 4 U... GOD NEVER CLOSES A DOOR THAT HE DOESN'T OPEN A WINDOW! I WILL TELL YOU YOUR MARRIAGE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU BUSINESS. GET THINGS AT HOME RIGHT AND THE OTHER WILL WORK ITSELF OUT

THE KEMOSABE

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I hope things work out for you. Question? Have you and the other LCO's in Waycross ever got together and had a "pow wow"? Since Waycross is not that big, I would guess that you guys could work together and make big things happen. Well, that is just my opinion. I know I am an outsider looking in. I can only pray and hope things work out for you. Keep the faith, and God Bless.
Jay

GreenN'Clean
03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Maybe its a sign for you to change careers. The God & Goddess will make things go wrong if you step onto the wrong path. If you have been in business for 5 years and only had 24 yards then it might not be the business path your supposed to follow. You should have have landed 10-15 new accounts per year but with the down side you have experienced it might just be a way of saying go in another direction because if you fight and fight and things never get better then its because your on the wrong path.... All things happen for a reason and when one door closes trust me another when will open up, just look inside yourself and follow your gut instincts....

QualityLawnCare4u
03-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Maybe its a sign for you to change careers. The God & Goddess will make things go wrong if you step onto the wrong path. If you have been in business for 5 years and only had 24 yards then it might not be the business path your supposed to follow. You should have have landed 10-15 new accounts per year but with the down side you have experienced it might just be a way of saying go in another direction because if you fight and fight and things never get better then its because your on the wrong path.... All things happen for a reason and when one door closes trust me another when will open up, just look inside yourself and follow your gut instincts....

GreenNclean, I have thought that many times but keep fighting back. I wished I still had 24 accounts! Mine have been dropping like flies in the past 6 months. Its funny that every other LCO I talk to has more than they can handle and will give me any new calls they get but never hear a word. They are all full of crap and probably have no more than me. I am getting real close (one month or less) away from ruining my good credit and filing bankruptcy. The only thing that saved me this past year was my late dad left me a little money (just transfered the last doller) that I payed my bills with but its now gone. Has not helped any that in the past month that every applliance,roof leak,car repair, that can tear up torn up. I am scheduled to have a stress test done and this may determine the final outcome.

git-r-done
03-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I now times are rough butt hang in there, you dont want to file bankruptcy been there done that, it really hurts ya, do what you can keep your head up and keep looking ahead ,

MyKisa
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
a lot of new homes in Blackshear from what I have seen passing through, but hey most often it is location.

johnnybravo8802
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I live in Ga.(around Atlanta) and feel your pain. I've been in the business for 28 yrs. and was doing lawns before it was even a profession. I see 10 new lawn services a week. They're always going out of business because they don't know what things are worth and don't know what the h@@ they're doing. The problem is that if they underbid you, that year is gone. People say, "wait until next year when the customer gets rid of them." At that point, there will be 10 more to replace him to give an even lower bid and you've lost out again for another year. I think the competition is greater here around Atlanta. I see all over this forum about charging this and charging that and I'm here to tell you that they aren't going to pay that here. They don't have to because there's always some JOE-Blow to do it cheaper. The advice here is good about staying in it but if it's not your passion, it's not worth it!

YardPro
04-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Man after hearing what you are going through i started to say iam glad i stop landscaping i had about 97 jobs brought in close to 90,000 a year had a crew of 7-9 depending on the the amount of yards for that week and do you believe i was in business for 8yrs and no mater what i did i could not manage it properly i ended up losing more than what i was bring in salaries were to high gas bill to much alot of equipment break down tools being left on jobsites you name it happen to me but after reading all these post that wants to uplift and support you i am really rethinking starting all over and try to learn from my down falls but i would like to leave these words of encouragement with you it is always darkest just before dawn and the cloud cant always block the sun it has to shine keep your head up and you will prevail and it is not always bad when your wife is on your back they want the best for you to .

you are not making money because you have too many people working.....
$90k/year gross is EASILY handled by one guy and a helper........

YardPro
04-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I live in Ga.(around Atlanta) and feel your pain. I've been in the business for 28 yrs. and was doing lawns before it was even a profession. I see 10 new lawn services a week. They're always going out of business because they don't know what things are worth and don't know what the h@@ they're doing. The problem is that if they underbid you, that year is gone. People say, "wait until next year when the customer gets rid of them." At that point, there will be 10 more to replace him to give an even lower bid and you've lost out again for another year. I think the competition is greater here around Atlanta. I see all over this forum about charging this and charging that and I'm here to tell you that they aren't going to pay that here. They don't have to because there's always some JOE-Blow to do it cheaper. The advice here is good about staying in it but if it's not your passion, it's not worth it!

i used to think the same way.....
but have found that there are customers out their that will pay more for better service. We have built a $1M/year plus business on those kinds of clients.

johnnybravo8802
04-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I deal with mostly commercial and they choose the lowest bidder every time. If someone is cheaper the next yr. by $10, they get rid of you. This has happened to me way too many times. I wish I could get away from that cheapest bidder mentality. I was going to bid on a school system last yr. with over 60 acres of turf in the county. The man accepting the bids told me to not waste my time because the guy who had been doing it only charged $37,000/yr. for the entire system. He said that if he were crazy enough to do it that cheap, they would keep giving it to him. He said that I'd do the same if I were in his position. I can name other numerous examples but I don't have enough time.

anrick
04-13-2008, 01:49 AM
you are not making money because you have too many people working.....
$90k/year gross is EASILY handled by one guy and a helper........
While that me be true were you are from but it is different were i am at i live in the Bahamas and the majority of yards down here is alot different than were you are from it normally takes you guys about 20-30 minutes to clean a yard, on avarage a yard 50 by 100 here it will take us 1 1/2 hrs to do that same yard ,in the rainy season here its worse the magority of homes require a once a month service and alot of them is bushes and weeds so you are press for time and thats why you end up with more guys man i can write a book on how it works here in the Bahamas and youl be suprise

johnnybravo8802
04-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Quality Lawn-After all these yrs, I've learned that a lot of people in this business:dizzy: will fill your head full of crap. It has always amazed me how some people can make $1000/hr. and have their phone ringing off the hook-they must be sent from heaven! They could probably get rich selling umbrellas in the desert also!

GroundEffects125
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I may be intrested in some equipment sorry about ur business

mobileboy
04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Umbrellas in the desert...Where can I buy one?! Sounds like a great way to keep the sun off your neck!