View Full Version : Do you need a license in texas?

03-15-2004, 02:40 PM
I am trying to get a lawn business started here in texas, and was wondering if I need a license for this? Do i need a lic. to spread fertilizer ect?
I am only looking to pick up a few jobs right now, and was wondering if I need a license to start?
Any one in texas have and awnsers?

03-16-2004, 11:08 PM
I dont know about Texas, but here in Florida you dont need a license as far as I know, I asked the county courthouse about a business license, and they told me there was no such thing in my county. so I went to a larger county a few miles away, and got an "occupational license", and that is what I use on my business cards etc.

03-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will call the courthouse in my county and find out what they say. Roadhawg are you new in the business?

03-18-2004, 07:43 AM
PM for details - I am running my own company that is licensed for commercial applications, irrigation, and the types of insurance this requires.

03-18-2004, 01:03 PM
mjensen, I have been in the "Handyman" business off and on, since about 1973. I am really not a "lawn guy" but I do have a few regular mowing, trimming jobs. I am as they say, "Jack of all trades, master of none". I do everything from small carpentry jobs, home repair, some plumbing, electrical, (absolutely no permit or contracting work), tree trimming and removal, pressure washing, trash hauling, bush hog, land clearing etc, I find that a lot of people have small jobs that no else will mess with, and this is where I come in, I charge by the day most the time, I never usually give a price for the entire job, cause you can get hurt that way. My daily rate for me and my helper, depending on the type of job, and equipment needed, varies from about $250. to up to $550. if I will be using my tractor bush hog and or front end loader. this is PAID DAILY. I do not extend credit. This keeps everyone happy. gotta go give some estimates now, so let me know how your doing. Later, Roadhawg

03-19-2004, 11:58 AM
You do not need any liscense to spread fert. If you going to any kind of chemical application you will have to get a liscense through the Texas Agriculture Dept. To do that you have to take three classes and past the test and you will be a liscensed applicator at that time. You will have to renew this yearly. If you are just starting out you will not need to get this. Any other questions just hollar be glad to help you..

Good Luck!!!!

03-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info lavan, but as far as just cutting, do you need some sort of license or something from the county, state ect?
I might have a job cutting a subdivision common ground for a HOA, so come tax time how do I work this? What I am trying to say is I am trying to be legit and wondering if I am going about this in the right direction.
Do I need a business license ect?

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
03-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I know in Michigan you do. You at least need a DBA, Doing Business As......I would bet you do in Texas too. Just call the courthouse and ask if you need a liscense for your business.

03-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Good luck. You don't need a license, but go to your county courthouse and register your business name. I think mine was $9.

Run a legitimate business. Charge sales tax, get liability insurance, study and get your pesticide license from the TDA. . . etc.

Read everything you can on this forum - but remember that a lot of these people deal with Northern turfgrasses.

There are some very respected members here, and you just got an offer from one.

. . . take up SWD on his offer. Take notes!

03-22-2004, 04:16 PM
You do not need any liscense but you might want to get you a DBA from the county clerk. This way you have an established name. There are no liscenses to have to cut and you do not want to get sales tax liscense. This is more of a headache beacause you are going to have file taxes regardless if you sale or resale anything. If you are going to be doing just lawn maintaince you will not need any that this early in the game.
If you cut a HOA they will probably pay by check so you will need to claim that. I am not going to bring up any IRS issues upon our industry but if they pay you cash that is up too you to claim that. I would just go ahead and file a DBA with you company name and file your taxes. Let me know if you need any other help..

03-23-2004, 01:15 AM

Every business in Texas has to have a sales tax permit. You do have to charge sales tax on lawn services in Texas. Here's a link to check out:

03-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.So I am assuming that I need to go to the county clerk office here in harris county and get a dba and tax # right?
What does this all cost? Also how much is insurence?

So when it comes to taxes, I will have to file under the business, not my personel right?

03-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Bloodstripe. I opened another business last year (retail) and I just got my DBA for my Lawn Care business a couple of weeks ago. The price for the DBA is around 15 dollors (make sure you get copies) This will let you go to the bank and open an account with that assumed name. (means people can pay for a check if they want to that business name) it makes it easier when tax time come around if you do it this way. You just add up your deposits and you have you income from the business. Also a good idea to use this account to purchase equipment and pay for service and supplies.

As for teh tax id I am still trying to figure this one out in more detail form JPS's suggestion and link it states you have to have a Tax ID (SSN should work in most cases) but if you don't plan on making over 5000 in one quarter there is no need to pay taxes or collect taxes (sales tax) Basically you have to thank of it in 2 ways

One there is a state sales tax that you have to collect and pay if you go over 5k a quarter but only that quarter. The other is Uncle Sam for Federal income tax (April 15th tax) this is when you say how much you made vs your deductiables.

Keep reading up on it as I don't have all the answers but more then happy to share what i have found. You can find out a lot on...http://www.window.state.tx.us/m23taxes.html

03-23-2004, 04:02 PM
About the fertilizer applicator's license, you do have to have a license if you are spreading any fertilizer that kills weeds. Any weed and feed fertilizer requires the license. Any regular fert. that doesn't contain any vergetation killer does not require the license. Thats straight from the head hnocho in charge of licensing.

03-23-2004, 04:47 PM
thanks for the update Woody that is great infor to have

03-23-2004, 09:43 PM
So Woody, what your saying is that if I put down,lets say Scotts bonus S, on someones lawn, I will need a lic.?

04-06-2004, 09:57 PM
i understood that you only needed the license if you were putting down "controlled" applicaitons. If you buy "Home Depot" fertilizer that is regular home owner stuff there isnt a license requirement. Is there?

04-06-2004, 11:26 PM
shouldn't be. I have been putting the "home depot" stuff down for a long time with out a license....(on my own yard that is)