PDA

View Full Version : '98 Chevy 3500 Diesel

TRex
03-16-2004, 12:26 AM
I found what seems to be a great deal after I worked this dealer over. It is a '98 Chevy crew cab 3500, single rear wheel, power everything, auto, 6.5 turbo diesel, with 124,000 miles. I worked the dealer down to $6,500 plus TT&L. The truck ran great and started right up.

I don't really care for the old Chevy diesels, but the price seems to be right and it seemed to be an over all average truck. Has anyone had any problems with the '96 and up 6.5 diesel engines. The pre '96 engines looked different as far as the intake plenum and the coolant routing, so I think they made some changes but am not sure.

If any one has had troubles please let me know.

Evan528
03-16-2004, 07:11 AM
go to gmc-diesel.com and talk to them. I have a 93 chevy 3500 crew cab diesel wich i bought last summer. so far its been good but from what ive ready on the net those chevy 6.5 diesels are not the greatest longest lasting engines around. For 6500 dollars I would grab that truck though reguardless.

bcx400
03-16-2004, 07:44 AM
I have a '99 3500HD w/6.5 turbo diesel. With 50,000 miles on it, I have had to replace the injection pump twice. The dealer who replaced the part said this particular engine is notorious for going through injection pumps. To keep customers from leaving GM, the warranty on the injection pump is extended to 120,000 miles. Since you are over that, plan on spending over $1000 to get it replaced when it fails. Other than that, I have not had any problems.

TRex
03-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Evan528, That is exactly what I was thinking to. The fact that they don't last that long I think has more to do with maintanence than actual internal engine parts wearing out.

bcx400, I know about the injector pump problems and think that could be part of the reason these engines don't seem to last as long as they should. When you run a diesel out of fuel it is hard on the engine. My dad had a '94 with the diesel and the pump went out and after finding out what it costs and how often they seem to go bad he pretty much gave the truck away.

Thanks for the help and if anyone thinks I should run from this truck at this price please let me know.

Shadetree Ltd
03-17-2004, 02:16 AM
Hard to argue if you think the price is fair, but I have a 1997 3500 cab and chassis with an 11' dump. The truck is in great condition with 99,500 miles and it had the original engine break the crankshaft at 21,000 miles (with the original owner) since I have had it (3 years now) I have replaced two turbos, 2 water pumps, all eight injectors, fuel pump, wiper motor and a brand new engine. The engine snapped the crankshaft at 90,000 miles. None of these were directly tied to maintenance, I have all the records. The truck has cost me over $20,000 Canadian in repairs. FWIW.

Scott

TRex
03-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the help and I think I will go pick up my deposit. I can not take a risk like this with my business. I have found a couple of the same trucks with the vortec 350 and my '96 tahoe Z 71 has 215,000 miles with only needing to replace the water pump and the transfer case seal. The transfer case was my fault by leaving it stuck over night in a couple feet of mud(I hate mud, but love the rocks). My old truck was a '84 chevy with a 305 and as soon as I started pulling my new trailer it could not handle and the head gasket popped. So I think the newer 350 will work fine.