PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Sea Box

DUSTYCEDAR
03-16-2004, 09:02 AM
who has 1 and do u like it? what size did u get and what did u pay? is it secure storage? do u have problems with it leaking?

rodfather
03-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Don't have one, but sure could use it. Kind of hard to steal unless someone comes along with a rollback...how do you go about getting or finding one Dusty?

Scraper
03-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Rod...I remember seeing a newspaper article about the seaport up in Bayonne/Newark being inundated with these and can't get rid of them as it costs too much to send them back overseas and is cheaper to stockpile them albeit an eyesore/safety hazard. You could try calling shipping companies up that way.

Dusty, have you looked into the prefab sheds like they have down at Rick's Sheds in Aston? I got a 12'x26' last fall for just over $2k up in Lancaster from the same place that supplies Rick's for a fraction of Rick's prices.

walker-talker
03-16-2004, 10:12 AM
I passed up a chance to buy a semi-trailer last year at auction for $275. I would have bought it if I would have known for sure if it did not break city code storing it on my property. They would of even hauled it for free. Might check into something like that. I was going to drop the axles to get it closer to the ground.

AL Inc
03-16-2004, 10:31 AM
I have 2, a 14' and a 20'. They are actually old truck bodies. Not as sturdy looking as those shipping containers. But I think they are great, everything stays nice and dry and secure. We back the trailers right against the door at night and have never had a problem.
They are owned by my landlord, a welder who usually gets the trucks and cuts the body off and junks the chassis. A friend who also parks at the yard bought his container (identical to your picture) for about $1800. Mike

ratherbeboating
03-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Dustycedar:

I don't have one but a freind of mine has 2 that he stores carpet in. He owns a carpet business. He got them for cheap and they work out great for him........everything dry, no leaks. I think he paid around 1,500 each for them. they're 20ft long.

He doesn't have electric in them, which he needs.

He has had them broken into twice, he found some big metal brace/lock made just for sea boxes and it hasn't been broken into since.

I have 2 other neighbors that have them in they're yards one uses them to store some stuff from his church, He says everything stays dry.....not sure how much he paid or maybe the church gave it to him but he likes it.

the other one stores all his building supplies in his, he's building his house on his own so it's taking a while.Both neighbors don't have any issues with breakins since we live off the beaten path.

Anyway, I've never hear any complaints out of them about their boxes.

Jim

Scraper
03-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I would hope things stay dry inside. They are out in the open on those transoceanic oceanliners. I had a friend in the shipping business and he told me that they would fall off the ships from time to time during the crossing and be lost to the depths. Not a big deal I guess since the materials were coming in cheap from China.

Critical Care
03-16-2004, 01:22 PM
This is a good idea... Not long ago a friend wanted to get rid of an old metal storage shed. If I hauled it off I could have it for free, which I did, but I never got the thing put together again because of the ten thousand screws and parts. These sea boxes look like the ticket!

Mdirrigation
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
I have 2 , paid $300 a piece for them 10 years ago , coated roof with tar and never leaked. I was at a place here in Maryland that sells them, he welded 4 toghether and cut out the centers and now has a 40 by 40 shop looks good inside. The 20 footers are going between 1000 and 1500 depending on condition.

Henry
03-16-2004, 04:41 PM
Rodfather,

There's a guy in Passaic that sell's these. I got a 20'er 2 years ago for $1100.00 delivered and set in place. When you order one they pick it up in Newark and bring it to your yard on a flat bed. I'm guessing this guy just buys 'em and flips 'em. Look in the want ad press for his ad in the trailer section.

I was gonna build a shed but it would cost more and would be a ***** to move if necessary. Everything stays dry and we even keep our plows and ladders on top.

gogetter
03-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Look in Truck Trader magazine, they're advertised in there, near the back.
They have them in 20' and 40' lengths.

I kinda wish I had a place to put one.

goose
03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
We got 4 on the yard , just got 2 of them delivered 2 weeks ago .They were $1458 each delivered from Atlanta to Birmingham. One of them was that pretty blue color. They are great , dry and secure .

sodzilla
03-16-2004, 10:01 PM
I never gave them a though. I know of a place around here that has quit a few of them for sale. Once I get a place to put one I'll have to give them a call. Thanks for the idea.

NCSULandscaper
03-16-2004, 10:11 PM
I can get a 40' delivered for $1750

Thinkin of gettin a couple of them

hboyd_com
03-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Check out govliquidation.com. There are a bunch a different shelters/boxes for sale as well as trailers and some equipment.

Here is one specific 8x20 container... current price is $250.

http://web.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=337068

Norm Al
03-17-2004, 07:40 AM
oh,,,,sorry i thought this thread had sexual conotations?

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2004, 08:31 AM
hboyd thanks 4 the link to bad they arent in pa

hboyd_com
03-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Do a search by location(s).... they have them all over. I think I saw some in either OH or VA.

Critical Care
03-17-2004, 11:50 AM
I suppose that once you get one of these guys put in place you're not likely to be moving it around. Looks like the 8 x 20' containers are about 4000 pounds.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2004, 03:31 PM
i will push it with a loader they will move on blacktop

CrewCutEnterprises
03-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Just a note, the 20 footers are movable by a winch and a roll back truck(tow truck)

Storage is a problem for me, and Im looking into buying a 20 fter in the future.

Jacob's Yardworks LLC
03-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Anyone have any that are auctually big enough to back a trailer in?

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I have thought about getting one myself. Townships here are a little funny about those things. You can get them for a pretty good price too.

Boycea
03-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I used to have two of them, they don't leak and are an economical alternative to a building. I had two 20 footers and put them next to each other and then ran electricity to them so i could have lights, run power tools and had a compressor set up in it. For the money they worked great and did not leak at all. You can find them anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000. The ones on the higher end come all primed and repainted.

lawn and stump
03-10-2006, 06:59 AM
If my barn falls down I might buy 2 40 footers and place them about 12 ft apart and put a roof between them to park my truck and trailer.

BladeRunner1967
03-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Rod...I remember seeing a newspaper article about the seaport up in Bayonne/Newark being inundated with these and can't get rid of them as it costs too much to send them back overseas and is cheaper to stockpile them albeit an eyesore/safety hazard. You could try calling shipping companies up that way.

Dusty, have you looked into the prefab sheds like they have down at Rick's Sheds in Aston? I got a 12'x26' last fall for just over $2k up in Lancaster from the same place that supplies Rick's for a fraction of Rick's prices.

You talking about Fox Country Sheds? They used to make for Rick, but I'm not sure anymore. LOT'S of shed companies up here. I'm thinking of getting one I can back the trailer right into plus have enough room for a shop. And a small area to have a smoking room.:)

steve45
03-10-2006, 10:16 AM
My former employee had several of these. Pretty secure and weatherproof. The only problems we had was lack of lighting, and they get hotter than hell in the summer.

Jpocket
03-10-2006, 01:00 PM
We have a 24ft semi Trailer with the axles cut loose so it sits on the ground. Wish we had a 30footer.

Livingreen
03-10-2006, 03:06 PM
If my barn falls down I might buy 2 40 footers and place them about 12 ft apart and put a roof between them to park my truck and trailer.
That's a great idea that many people use up here in AK. We call them con-ex's and they are plentiful since everything is shipped up here. The prices you guys are quoting are much better than I can get them up here. I currently rent mine now, but will purchase soon. :clapping: The big problem is the lighting, but you can fashion some drop lights to a switch and plug in when necessary.:drinkup:

prizeprop
03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
We have two 20 footers, great investment for about $1,100 a piece out of the truck shopper. Just back the truck up against doors at night.