PDA

View Full Version : no guarentee, lower price?

bobbygedd
03-16-2004, 03:21 PM
if a client tryed "chewing you down" on price, would you lower it with the agreement that the plants will carry no guarentee?

D Felix
03-16-2004, 03:35 PM
I personally wouldn't let the client dictate my price.

Much has been said on this subject on this forum in the last couple of weeks/months, but basically if you do that, then they will think they can do it all the time and walk all over you.

Not worth it, IMHO. Charge what you need to, if the client doesn't like it, then they can find someone else to do it.

Dan

hole in one lco
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I only guaranty plant that i maintain for a year.

If im not the one maintaining them their is no warranty ........... thats what i call job security

ElephantNest
03-16-2004, 04:28 PM
When they try to lower my proposals I tell them that I can possibly meet their price, but the size of all plants will be smaller. I still warranty the plants, if I put them in.

10' trees become 6', 5 gal. container plants become 3 gal., 3 gal. become 1 gal., etc.

kris
03-17-2004, 06:33 AM
Please Bob don't guarantee anything, it looks better on real operations who are in this business for the long haul.

bobbygedd
03-17-2004, 07:06 AM
oh, that's very nice kris, can't even have a discussion without you getting all uptight.

kris
03-17-2004, 07:17 AM
That could be because I don't really believe you are serious about this business. It's like having a student employed for the summer that is going through to be a doctor. Great worker, you treat them fairly but you don't spend a lot of time teaching them much. You point and say dig a hole there while you spend the time teaching with someone that is interested.

bobbygedd
03-17-2004, 07:29 AM
kris, i'm very serious about my business, it's how i'll feed my kids for the rest of my life. remember though, this is my first year going full time. my mindset has always been, keep the overhead down, down, as low as u can. and when i suggest dropping the garentee, it's like this. i quote $4000 for a small landscape installation, customer says, "can you do any better?" i say, "sure, what would you like to eliminate? a few of the shrubs? make smaller beds?" point is i won't drop the price, but will change the plan if the customer so desires, to meet his price range. one of the factors, for me, when marking up plants, is the garentee. i was wondering, if it would be a good bargaining tool , if the the 4 grand was too high, shave off a few bucks, but eliminate the garentee

culand
03-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Know I don't lower my prices! If a customer is not happy with my BID and would like to shop around I say OK. Everything WE install has a guaranty-- plants, rock, mulch ,ect. -- I fell that going down on the price I am giving it a way. They would not like me to cut my work down to a sloppy job and to install cheap plants that is half dead.

CULTURAL LANDSCAPE

sgrprincees
03-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I think that could cost you customers if the plants die. If you buy a car with no guarantee, and it breaks down as soon as you leave the lot you would probably be pretty pissed off. If however you paid an extra $500 and got a warranty, you might say something to your friends like "I paid a little too much, but the dealer fixed what was wrong," instead of ,"The dealer did a crappy job of getting the car ready for sale, and lied to me, I will never buy there again." People will always find something to complain about, but in my opinion it is better to have them complaining about price than quality.

Georgiehopper
03-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Dont do it. Even if they agree to no guarantee and give you the job..if any of the plants croak, they will probably call you back anyway...and then bad mouth you.

Don't change your policies and as was already mentioned...don't let them dictate your price. If it were up to some customers, we would all be out of business.

kris
03-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I 'm not going to say we have never done it Bob but it is really a rare situation.

We tend to do what elephant suggested and put in smaller stuff.

To say you never lower your price is not a good idea... you have to work with customers, change design, smaller shrubs, less plant material... not so much that the designs' integrity is compromised but SELL THE JOB.

I love doing warranty work! There isn't a better way to become known as a true quality service company and to keep in touch with past customers for future work.

We visit every single job we did the previous year in May ...tag anything that didn't make it and then replace it in June.