PDA

View Full Version : mulch Price guideline ?

zmak
03-16-2004, 05:53 PM
curious to know what you guys charge for mulch in bulk.

I know we all have our own profit guidelines just curious to hear from others. I usually charge double for each yard no discount for bigger jobs and contractors are charged less.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
03-16-2004, 07:24 PM
I dont use truckload, I only bag mulch. I charge 3 times the cost of a bag, 2 times if i know the customer personally.

roadhawg3
03-16-2004, 10:54 PM
bulk cypress is now up to $17 a yard
I charge $75. for delivery, and if they want it spread it would be $34 per yard, and my trailer holds 5 yards, so it would be $245. delivered and spread.

zmak
03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
thanks for letting me know i might now charge a delivery charge on top of my regular cost.
Never have used bag mulch seems time consuming

roadhawg3
03-18-2004, 01:24 PM
one more thing I didnt mention , that $75. delivery charge is for "locals" only. I charge an additional $1. per mile for out of town delivery.

twins_lawn_care
03-18-2004, 03:37 PM
As a general rule, I try and get 2-3 times the price of the mulch. if I am having to wheel it a longer distance, I just up the price more towards the 3X price. Usually it is just that, a guideline, and every job should be looked at differently.

zmak
03-18-2004, 07:29 PM
again thanks for giving me another view on this

GarPA
03-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Twins...so what if a customer wants dyed mulch? in our area its almost $30/yard? Some of the lesser quality mulch sells for as little as $12/yard.

Unless I'm missing something here, the labor effort to install 3 yards of cheap stuff is no different than 3 yards of higher priced mulch. But with your formula, it would seem to work ok for the higher priced material but not so well with the low end mulch.

I;m not being critical of your approach, but rather just curious how you can install mulch for $24 per labor hour based on that formula?

twins_lawn_care
03-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Good point Garpa-

Like I said, this is my general rule of estimating on site when I am called over across the street. Some people just want a guesstimate. If they want an estimate I will stand on, I tell them I will write one up and bring it by tomorrow, so I can make sure to get at least my minimum labor cost needs (for mulch I try to get $30 per hour, which is about 1 yard worth)

I am glad you pointed this out though, so others don't just use it an wonder why they're not making money.

I haven't done too many mulch jobs as of yet, and the one's I've done so far have averaged about my $30 per yard larbor fee, plus i mark up the mulch %50 of cost to me. So for a $12 yard mulch, I'll get $48 installed.