PDA

View Full Version : Massive job that I looked at.

geoscaper
03-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Today i met with a customer that wanted a very large project completed. It included a retaining wall and a large amount of escavation. What would you quote on this.

Remove 300 yds topsoil.
Install a retaining wall - 150 ft long. 6ft high.
Install approx 20 yds compacted gravel for base for a parking lot.

Customer wants to expand his parking lot. Dump site for soil is about 15 min. away. Using 85lb retaining wall blocks. 18" long, 12" deep.

LHlandscaping
03-17-2004, 01:50 AM
From not looking at it I would guess around $31,500.00 give or take a couple thousand.

AGLA
03-17-2004, 06:41 AM
In many states a wall over 6' high requires a structural engineer to provide a plan. The engineered plan will more than likely require the use of geogrid and may require more excavation for it. In other words, the engineer will define what you need to do which is going to impact the price of it. Right now you only know part of what you need to do, so you are not equiped to bid on it or you are being asked to take on the responsibility for a wall that may not be legal.

landscapingpoolguy
03-20-2004, 11:18 AM
hes right about the wall.....But you can build two 3 ft walls tiered without engineer.....job sounds around 25 - 30 g's

Chuck

kris
03-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by landscapingpoolguy
hes right about the wall.....But you can build two 3 ft walls tiered without engineer
Chuck

You do know that that depends right? If the second tier is not far enough back it is just like having one wall. Needs to be twice the distance back as the height of the first wall. There still may be some considerations even doing that.

jajwrigh
03-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Wow, I would be set for a year!!!

Turfdude
03-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by kris
You do know that that depends right? If the second tier is not far enough back it is just like having one wall. Needs to be twice the distance back as the height of the first wall. There still may be some considerations even doing that.

Yes, Kris is right! There are a lot of considerations for hydrostatic pressure, especially if this area is taking a lot of surface run-off water from a parking lot. I've seen a wall by me come down a few years ago. Luckily noone was hurt, but it cost the landscaper a lot of time and manpower to fix the problem. The wall is settling and shifting some again. He did use geogrid, lots of drainage behind wall, etc... but never got an engineers seal on it. Also, the top wall there is not set back far enogh from the bottom wall.

aries
03-21-2004, 02:38 PM
it's all tue make sure to plan what your doing sometimes a job that sounds like a gold mine might turn to be more of a head ache! be careful

rambo10
03-21-2004, 08:01 PM
everyone is correct, wall has to be engineered.

The wall install by itself should be almost 25k, then you have the removal of 300yds of topsoil. Do you have the trucks for that?

Then you said about 20 yds of compacted gravel base. Material cost, labor/compaction

I think this job would probably be closer to 35k!