PDA

View Full Version : dump inserts

Four Season's
03-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Do any of you guys use those dump inserts in your trucks? I am thinking of putting one in my truck and wanted your opinions on them.

http://www.sandspreader.com/dumpinserts.shtml

gogetter
03-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Searching just "titles only", I came up with:

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=348018&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

You'd get even more if you searched "entire threads".

GLS
03-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Yep. Made by EZ-dumper...works great. I would highly recommend them. I might consider a stainless version next time though. Either that or line-x it. Mine is starting to form some rust, has some holes on the siderails. Not sure how much longer it's gonna hold up. It has lasted 10 years though without problems.

Four Season's
03-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks GLS.

How does your truck handle loads? (loam for example)

GLS
03-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Truck handles loads just fine. I can put 5 yards of mulch in the back with sides. I've had 4 yards of compost in it. Topsoil I only put about 2 yards (wet topsoil) in. I usually keep it under 2 tons, but i've had 2.35 tons of material in it.

I also have a set of overload springs to keep the truck from sagging a lot. I have a pic if you want to see it.

Here is the latest load of material. Dirt/sod mixture from re-edging flower beds.

GLS
03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Also, what size of truck do you have; 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton? I wouldn't suggest using a half ton, especially if you'll be loading it with loam.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
How much do these dump inserts run? I was thinking of getting a dump trailer but the dump insert intrigues me also. Just wondering what they tend to run?

pines
03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GLS
Truck handles loads just fine. I can put 5 yards of mulch in the back with sides. I've had 4 yards of compost in it. Topsoil I only put about 2 yards (wet topsoil) in. I usually keep it under 2 tons, but i've had 2.35 tons of material in it.

I also have a set of overload springs to keep the truck from sagging a lot. I have a pic if you want to see it.

Here is the latest load of material. Dirt/sod mixture from re-edging flower beds. [/QUOTE

I am getting one next week myself. I like the ramp you built. What size board is it...2x6...2x8...2x10? Also, what is the length? Thanks

terracare
03-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by GreatLakesLawnCare
How much do these dump inserts run? I was thinking of getting a dump trailer but the dump insert intrigues me also. Just wondering what they tend to run?

Our E-Z dumper with cab protector cost us almost 2,000 even. It took a few hours to get it bolted into the bed, but it was one of the best investments we ever made.

We put it into the back of a 1990 F350 Single rear wheel. It's not a very lightweight insert, but a one ton will handle it with a load just fine.

Todd

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
03-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks TerraCare. I am gonna look into this before spending more money on a dump trailer.

Eric 1
03-17-2004, 09:42 PM
GLS That is such a awsome truck!!!!every time i see it i want one more.

GLS
03-17-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by pinesI am getting one next week myself. I like the ramp you built. What size board is it...2x6...2x8...2x10? Also, what is the length? Thanks

Ramp consists of: 2"x10"x10', (2) 2"x4"x10' on the sides for support. There is a metal ramp "kit" on the part that contacts the tailgate. Works really good for pushing heavy wheelbarrow loads up.

Thanks Eric 1:)

Pricing -- they usually go for about $2k-$2.4k. I have heard that the stainless ez-dumper is about $800 more but weighs about 100lbs more. I have heard that the truck craft aluminum/stainless insert (tc-120 I think) goes for about $4k, but only weighs about 400lbs. Don't know this for sure, just what i've heard. Call ez-dumper or truck craft and they will give you the nearest distributer and price.

Shane472
03-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Could you please post some information on the overload springs as well as any other pictures you might have of your truck. I'm really starting to like the idea of a dump insert and am thinking it's something I might want to look into.

pines
03-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by GLS
Ramp consists of: 2"x10"x10', (2) 2"x4"x10' on the sides for support. There is a metal ramp "kit" on the part that contacts the tailgate. Works really good for pushing heavy wheelbarrow loads up.

Thanks Eric 1:)

Pricing -- they usually go for about $2k-$2.4k. I have heard that the stainless ez-dumper is about $800 more but weighs about 100lbs more. I have heard that the truck craft aluminum/stainless insert (tc-120 I think) goes for about $4k, but only weighs about 400lbs. Don't know this for sure, just what i've heard. Call ez-dumper or truck craft and they will give you the nearest distributer and price.

I just made a ramp as you described it and man it is awesome!! Thanks.

GLS
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Glad I could help you pines.

Shane -- My overload springs consist of a pack of 4 leaf springs that bolt on top of the original leaf springs and have around 1" of "play" before they contact. I can't explain it very well but you can see in the next two pictures what I mean...

GLS
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
They're sitting close in the previous pic.

I think some new trucks come from the factory with a couple of leaf overload springs...camper package maybe, not sure.

This pic shows them further away.

GLS
03-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Additional springs or other devices are not necessary but keep the suspension from bottoming out with extremely heavy loads and help prevent sag when loaded.

Other options are: helper springs, addition leaf springs added to the original pack of springs, timbren load boosters, or air bags (probably the best option, but expensive; I havn't used them yet).

I'll throw in a pic of the dumper I took today at a mulch job (70 cu. yds.)...

troblandscape
03-18-2004, 10:53 PM
GLs, how much did those springs cost you and did you install them yourself? Thanks

ADLAWNCUTTERS
03-19-2004, 04:24 AM
I have the little tipster and it works great, i had the easy dumper but they rust out to fast for me.What ever kind you buy spend the extra money for stainless steel.I have a 2001 f-350 diesel with heavy duty everything and it still use to bottom out . I put a set of timbers rubber bushings no more problems.They cost around $165.00 . It depends on what kind of work you are planning on doing. If you buy the dump trailer after a while it will be a pain in the butt ,you will say the hell with it.good luck

Eric 1
03-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Ah, another pic......drool drool drool:cool2:

ksland
03-19-2004, 07:32 PM
How about a close up of that cool wheelbarrow ramp. Looks light and strong. Great for edging in the spring.

ksland
03-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Here is a shot of my Truck craft insert. $2040 out the door, including installation, headboard and tax.

Envi-Lawn
03-19-2004, 10:39 PM
I just bought a Truckcraft insert for my 2500 Ram. They make 2 models, steel and aluminum. Steel=750 lbs., the alum=400lbs.
I bought the steel model as the dealer said the aluminum model would dent easier and was more prone to twist. The drawback is the extra weight.
The steel model costs $2500. installed.

landscapingpoolguy
03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
I just sold my ez dumper....i loved it while i had it...i had it in a half ton tho.....still have the truck.....personally if you looking for a dump i would just invest in a mason dump or grain dump...materials in an ezdumper are limited...i usta be able to take 4 yards of mulch, 2 stone or topsoil...i also had Air ride springs in mine which i dont reccomend....Those air bags leak all the time...But i sold my Ez dumper and used teh money to buy and International with a Grain Dump Body....21,000gvw now i can pretty much take anything....all in one trip to:)

Chuck

terracare
03-20-2004, 09:26 PM
We just put 6 yards of mulch in our E-Z dumper today... We had sides on it and they work great. We definitely could have put another yard or two in it without problems. I would reccommend at LEAST a 3/4 ton truck for one of these.

Todd

GLS
03-21-2004, 02:20 PM
troblandscape -- they actually came with the truck when I bought it (used), not sure how much they cost but probably arn't that difficult to install.

ksland -- I like where you put the aux. lights on the back of your truck. Good idea.

Here's a closeup shot of the ramp. There is just an angle cut at the other end.

DJL
03-21-2004, 02:36 PM
ADLAWNCUTTERS,

You said something along the lines about getting sick of a dump trailer, it becomes a pain in the butt. If you wouldn't mind could you explain a little more?

I'm interested because we purchase one last year and absolutely love it. The dump body is 14' X 8'. We placed wooden sides on it and added a tarp roller. It has a 12k# GVWR. We can get 10 cubic yards of mulch in the thing no problem. We even use it to haul mini-TLB around because of the ramps that are stored under it. We are able to keep all of the equipment in the bed of the truck while still hauling the material in the dump trailer. Granted, first year in biz was last year, so we obviously only had it for a year. Just curious how it got to be a pain and why you got sick of it? I realize it has its limitations, but it has worked out great for all sorts of jobs. As a matter of fact, just bought a leaf-loader and getting a canvas top put on the dump trailer. The thing is gonna be able to hold 20 cubic yards of debris.

ksland
03-21-2004, 02:45 PM
GLS thanks, never thought of adding 2 by's to the sides for strength, great idea.

MLI
03-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey Ken....where did you get those hubcaps for the Ford? I need to get some for mine...place down the street is smoking crack! way to much$$

ksland
03-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Benny's! The place right down the street from me has em. $10 a piece. I can pick up 4 for you some time I am headed down there if you like?

ADLAWNCUTTERS
03-22-2004, 02:26 AM
replay: I don't own a dump trailer .as i stated it depends on what kind of work you do and how much you do. my dump insert only holds 4 yards, i like just pulling up to the job and dumping .it depends on your needs.

DJL
03-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by ADLAWNCUTTERS
It depends on what kind of work you are planning on doing. If you buy the dump trailer after a while it will be a pain in the butt ,you will say the hell with it.good luck

Adlawncutters, sorry, I guess I misunderstood. It seems as if you were speaking from experience.

terracare
03-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Finally took a few pics of the dump while finishing up a large mulch job today. Here's the setup with the E-Z dumper and sides

Todd

terracare
03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
The mule... Ed made some sides for it for this project

Todd

terracare
03-22-2004, 07:35 PM
messed up a picture.. gonna try again in a sec

terracare
03-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Bed with 6 yards of mulch in it... We definitely could have fit 7, maybe 8

Todd

terracare
03-22-2004, 07:39 PM
empty bed... lots of room

terracare
03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
last one. Pic of the leaf springs with 6 yards and the EZ dumper

GLS
03-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Nice pics Todd and Ed:cool:

I'd take one of those mules...does it have power dump?

Nice truck too. The guys that load our mulch much give us a little extra cuz the load in your truck looks like 4-5 yards; technically it probably is 6 yards.

I really could have used that Mule at a job we are finishing up. 70 yards...

terracare
03-22-2004, 08:37 PM
The mule we use does not have a power dump. We will be getting one with that option for our next one. We'll probably get the kubota diesel one too

Todd

scottishmaximus
03-23-2004, 09:57 AM
terracare
Use a grinder to those bolts. That has got to be annoying. I recessed holes for nuts on truck sides that I made. Looks good though.

scottishmaximus
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
GLS, are those timbrens i see in the picture with the brake drum? I see the overloads, but are those rubber stoppers or rubber springs?

GLS
03-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Nope, they're not timbrens. They are just the factory bump stops.

Katwalk
03-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Terrascape......sorry, but if that is six yards of mulch I am the pope. One (1) cubic yard equals 3x3x3.......27 square feet. The side boards look to be 2X12 each. The dump insert is 7'6" inside measurement. Total volume for that set up is around 120 sq. ft. Dump equals 7.5 X 4 X 2 = 60 sq. ft. plus each side board (2) 7.5 X 4 X 1 = 60 equals 120 square feet divided by 27 per cubic yard equals 4.4 cubic yards. Point to be made...make sure they are giving you enough mulch for what you are paying for. The "six yard load" you pictured looks very weak......the truth of the matter is that the truck with the dump just doesn't have the capacity for six yards period.

Four Season's
03-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Katwalk- I was thinking the same thing. 6 yards sounds a little ficticious to me. I hope Terrascape isnt paying for 6 yards of mulch...

ksland
03-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Four Season's
Katwalk- I was thinking the same thing. 6 yards sounds a little ficticious to me. I hope Terrascape isnt paying for 6 yards of mulch...

I was thinking the same thing. My guess was a heavy 4

DJL
03-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Katwalk
Terrascape......sorry, but if that is six yards of mulch I am the pope. One (1) cubic yard equals 3x3x3.......27 square feet. The side boards look to be 2X12 each. The dump insert is 7'6" inside measurement. Total volume for that set up is around 120 sq. ft. Dump equals 7.5 X 4 X 2 = 60 sq. ft. plus each side board (2) 7.5 X 4 X 1 = 60 equals 120 square feet divided by 27 per cubic yard equals 4.4 cubic yards. Point to be made...make sure they are giving you enough mulch for what you are paying for. The "six yard load" you pictured looks very weak......the truth of the matter is that the truck with the dump just doesn't have the capacity for six yards period.

Don't ask me why this has peaked my interest, but it has.

Katwalk, I'm pretty sure you are correct. According to the GMC website, the long bed provides 69.1 cu. ft. of volume. Even if you double that (that looks like what the dump insert is doing) you only get five cubic yards.

Now, consider the following which makes 5 yards a stretch...

(1) the bottom of the dump is slanted in on both sides
(2) the dump insert fits into the bed
(3) There isn't a board across the top to make a 'level' load of mulch

What are the actual dimensions, are the assumptions wrong?

terracare
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
The guy we buy from uses a tractor with a "one yard" bucket on it for loading. We got 6 of the bucket loads full for around $17 a bucket full which is a very good rate around here especialy for dyed mulch. I belive we got a fair rate for the amount that we recived, but thank you you for your input and I will personaly investigate this futher!

P.S. it is terracare not terrascape

Ed

terracare
03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
Sorry for the confusion guys we were just going by what the guy said was a "yard":o This will be the last year of buying mulch from a retailer, next year we are going to buy a semi truck load of dyed brown mulch. We will also buy a real "one yard" bucket for our tractor then we will report how many actual yards our ezdumper will hold!:D

Ed

DJL
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
$17/yard isn't bad for dyed mulch. That's around what it is here in jersey (wholesale).

Katwalk
03-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Terracare....I have the ez dumper and happen to love the thing. We all need to look out for one another and education is king. $17/yard is great if you are getting the full yard. If your trucks capacity is 4 yards and he is charging you for 6 yards, the price in essence is now $17 X 6 =$102 divided by 4 =$25.50 per yard. We all learn.......when I first started 8 years ago I was "told" by the supply yard that a ton and a yard was the same. I soon found out that that was a big fib!! We just started this week. Still some snow in the very shady areas of the properties but we are psyched to be back at it. Good luck Ed.