PDA

View Full Version : Scotts treating customers who have cancelled

dmc456
03-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Has anyone run into cases where your new customers cancelled last fall with thier old company (Scott's) and still received applications in the spring. They came and put down fertilizer and pre-m without authorization.

Any suggestions? Since they put down pre-m I assume I won't be able to seed here in a few weeks as planned.

Lux Lawn
03-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes- I ran into that problem last year with 1 or 2 new customers.
It seems like they just keep renewing contracts and applying fertilizer if you ask them to or not.

About 4 years ago I had a maintenance only customer that I was trying to get for fertilizer also.She is in he 80's so I gave her a price and she said she will have me do it if I call Chemlawn and cancel for her.So I call them and tell them she is my grandmother and she can't afford it anymore and I will take the time and do it for her they said they don't want to lose her as a customer what can she afford to pay and I said ZERO.

philk17088
03-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Yah, It happens a lot. Had 2 this week alone. The crazy part is the customer feels obligated to pay them?!!! They should pay me.

dougaustreim
03-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Haven't had it with Scotts yet, but we have this problem every year with TruGreen

Doug
Austreijm Landscaping

TSM
03-17-2004, 05:05 PM
its a problem alright.
I'm not sure why it happens, maybe its because they allow these things to fall through the cracks? Or maybe its because they know the majority of folks will pay them?

Anyway, we recommend our customers NOT pay them, we also tell our customers for us to 'guarantee' crabgrass control WE need to reapply that first application, then we schedule them for the end of the round.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2004, 05:09 PM
the big companies try to strong arm u into a nother season and if u dont pay they put a collection company on u
nice way to so business

dmc456
03-17-2004, 07:38 PM
What about the liability aspect of a company applying chemicals to your property when their services were cancelled?

I assume I would loose my license if I just went around and applied chemicals to lawn at random in an attempt to get more clients.

GroundKprs
03-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Get used to it, LOL. Been this way for over 20 years. All the big guys, and some of the small fry, will continue apps even after cancellation to try to keep the client for the new season. I've been telling new clients for 20 years to ask for a letter of confirmation of termination of service from the former chemical company.

And the client must let me see the letter, so I know that the old applicator knows that they are finished. I explain to client that this is a common ploy, and I need to know that no other chemical apps will be done so lawn is not stressed.

If an app has been made after cancellation, client should refuse to pay bill. If they are harrassed, tell them to threaten to contact state regulatory office, because first app usually includes a pesticide (pre-em). And you can give them the address and phone of that regulator (of course, you are properly licensed, right? So you know all the contact info).

lawn_j0ckey
03-17-2004, 08:50 PM
if u look carefully at a TGCL invoice, it says that they are a "continuous service" so thats how they legally do it. its in real fine print though, it might be on their brochures too.

Lawn Dog2001
03-17-2004, 09:06 PM
I have had this problem with Chemlawn, and also with another local outfit. I havent had the problem with Scotts yet.

I also specify in my contacts that service automaticly renews annually. I did this because invoices for my packages go out in Feb, and a lot of people put them off as they are not quite thinking Spring yet, eventhough the first application is only a month away. I also specify that I require notice of cancellation. I dont want customers thinking that nonpayment means cancellation. If they want cancelled, then call and cancel.

I would never, ever service a property that has cancelled. I wonder though whether some of these people never bothered to cancell their service. Maybe they just think "Hey I didnt pay you for this year so you should have assumed". I could see how this would create a problem for a big time application co.

dougaustreim
03-17-2004, 09:15 PM
We require our customers to sign up new each year. We send out the form and follow up reminders, but if you don't renew, we don't apply.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

vegomatic40
03-19-2004, 08:15 AM
A lot of theories but all wrong. The reason for TG/CL doing apps after cancellation is due to the monsterous size of the company. If a techincian has a invoice printed up for service for that day and the customer cancels on the same day, your odds are about 50-50 that they will be treated before the office contacts the tech. Many branches receive dozens of cancels every day and they are generally put into a "pending cancel" state awaiting a rep. to contact them to help stop the cancellation. Other times things as simple as the wife or hubby calling in the cancellation and not telling the other spouse about it happens more often than you might expect but, in the end it usually is just due to the huge number of customers they service. It is bound to happen it is just a matter of when. Most branches credit the app when the error is found and the customers are put inot yet another file of old customers to be contacted for re-instatement unless they request otherwise.

dmc456
03-19-2004, 08:24 AM
I would agree with this theory except this is a singel lady and she cancelled last fall.

There really is no excuse.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-19-2004, 09:52 AM
tgcl pulled the same crap with my friends house they canceled the tec came and applied so they call again and canceled the tec comes the following month and starts to appply again but he got cough and told to stop all services and he left. mean while the phone was ringing off the wall as to why r u canceling so corporate knew there was a problem.
they offered anything they could to get them back free apps free aeration any thing u could think of.
then the collections people started to call u owe money so they were told they were canceled and were not going to be paid.
well the phone and the mail didnt let up for 2 months. only after they finally paid the bill to get them off there back did the harassment stop.
great way to do business.

dougaustreim
03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
We have had numerous instrances over the years, where the cancellation had been made weeks and months in advance. In fact, It seems to me that it is policy to apply at least once more after a cacellation.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

Bennet
03-19-2004, 06:05 PM
I had some women tell me she was going with Scotts insted of me because they use Scotts fertilizer. I tried to explain to her that nitrogen is nitrogen no matter what name you put on the bag. Its like trying to explain to a monkey a bannana is a bannana, it dosent matter if the skin is green or yellow!!

:angry:

Runner
03-19-2004, 10:37 PM
That's the funny part about it... Scott's does NOT use Scott's fertilizer. The only fert. they make themselves now, is their plant fertilizer. Also, the stuff that the service uses, is NOT the stuff that you buy in the hardware stores. One of the big pluses of Scott's brand, was that their material is a finer granular. Well, if you see a Scott's service in your neighborhood, go look and see what they're spreading!

jajwrigh
03-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Thats interesting because they advertise that the stuff they all use is the same formula that they sell in the stores! Damn liars!!

Runner
03-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Well, hold on,... let me sort of correct that, now that I re-read my post the way it was written. Scott's does use "Scotts" ferts, but they are made by 4 different manufacturers, now. What I meant to say, is that they no longer MAKE their own turf ferts. The stuff that the services use, is usually the stuff from Lebanon.

philk17088
03-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Runner
Well, hold on,... let me sort of correct that, now that I re-read my post the way it was written. Scott's does use "Scotts" ferts, but they are made by 4 different manufacturers, now. What I meant to say, is that they no longer MAKE their own turf ferts. The stuff that the services use, is usually the stuff from Lebanon.

I don't think so, they use mostly Andersons which they own... I think. Lebanon is their direct competition.

I started using Lebanon Proscape w/ dimension .13 this year rather than lesco.

Anybody else use Lebanon product?

Runner
03-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Yep. That sounds more like it. I knew it was one of those.... Thanks.