PDA

View Full Version : Best Mower To Buy

mownitup
03-17-2004, 02:24 PM
I want to be open for business on or @ April 1. I've been looking at several different mowers but wanted to know what's the best brand, HP and deck size to purchase? I am going strictly residential for the first year unless someone comes along with a price that I can't pass up! Also, for the brand engine, what would you recommend, I've heard that Briggs and Stratton is the best to have?

jajwrigh
03-17-2004, 07:17 PM
I think the 36" walk behind is a good all around residential deck size. This allows you to get into most gates and cover average sized yards quickly. Some brands I recommend looking at are Exmark and Scag. Stay away from Briggs and Stratton...its great for the homeowner, but not durable enough for commercial use.

mownitup
03-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and answer.

jajwrigh
03-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Your welcome friend!

bugspit
03-17-2004, 10:00 PM
That's interesting, I'm looking at buying a Dixie with a Briggs. Would you know any other problem areas with Dixies?
I'm looking at a Coatsville 50".

bugspit
03-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Briggs on Dixies? I'm surprised no one caughts this. Dixies have Kohlers.
Any thoughts on Bad Boy mowers......anyone?

bayfish
03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
I would start with a walkbehind. I have 2 Toro's, a 44" 15 hp and 52" 20hp, both with Kohler engines. They have been very good and rugged. I personally avoid Briggs motors in favor of Kohler. They are very tough motors and the Kawasaki's are good too.

AssistSuper
03-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Anything of commercial quality will suit you just fine. I recommend going with the highest HP/deck size ratio you can. You won't regret that. Dealer service is the most important thing. When you break down, (and you will)...you need a great dealer who will give you a loaner or get you back running fast.

bugspit
03-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I'm interested in a , 50, 52" ZTR. Doing searches I've found the Bad Boys are getting good responses. I feel pretty secure going with a commercial grade mower, just sorting details.

The Dixie looks to have bigger spindle shafts and I like the mechanical deck height adj.
The Bad Boy does look well built but, I don't care much for an electric motor deck adj. and the spindles do look smaller. The BB also uses a Briggs on the 25 & 27 HP units. Haven't found alot of praise for Briggs.
Decisions...decisions

Joe25
03-20-2004, 12:29 AM
Take a look at Exmark or Scag, they are very reliable machines. I own Exmark and have found them to be excellent mowers.

mownitup
03-20-2004, 08:41 AM
I just a bought a BRAND NEW 36"WB Scag Friday for an unbelievable deal of $1400. I had to go with this not only because of the price but also I was keeping in mind all the people with gates, I can't afford to let any customers go especially since I'm new to the game. Now the only thing that I have to do is get the customers calling so that I can get some grass cut.

FFMED74
03-20-2004, 02:35 PM
I am purchasing an Exmark hydro sonn. 48 and maybe even a 36metro... I fell in love with the Exmark, great machine from what I can tell.

jajwrigh
03-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Grab a 36" Metro you won't regret it!!

PaulJ
03-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Look at the hustler walkbehinds. The easiest controls to learn and use of any of the 36-54" walkbehinds. the most hp for the 48" and 54" of any brand.

Jim H
03-22-2004, 08:22 AM
How big are your lawns going to be? I bought an Exmark TT36" and have found after "scalping" 10 lawns and getting my first 8 resi accounts that I will spend more time running my 22" than I do my 36". I work in several country clubs where the lawns are 3K to 10K, but have a lot of beds, walkways, etc. that make the 36" less useful.

mownitup
03-22-2004, 08:56 AM
The lawn sites are your typical size lawns not many flower beds, etc. I am going to stick with residential lawns until I get my timing down then I'll proceed to venture outside residential.

SIRCAESAR
03-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Mowitup, I am about to purchase a scag wb tommorow or thursday, I am trying to decide between, a 36" or 48 belt drive. I know the 36" can get thru gates, but most of the people around me have no fences, so I am debating the 48" my local scag dealer is charging $2300 for the 36" and $200 more for the 48" whats your opinion

SIRCAESAR
03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey Jim H, I am in GA too, what part are you in?

mownitup
03-22-2004, 06:46 PM
If you don't have gates to worry about and the cost is only $200 more for 12 more inches I myself would get the 48". Find out is the Scage reps are ever coming out to your scag dealer, if so it may be worth your while to wait, cause you know they are probably going to have some better deals with the reps out there!

SandSland
03-23-2004, 06:46 PM
there is a lot to think about for buying a mower like the size of lawn, access to the lawn, do you get a lot of rain, bagging, hills, etc. obviously the bigger the lawn the bigger deck size ie. 52 61 and so on unless the lawn is bumpy you want a middle sized deck like a 48. if there are gates you need to fit witch most cases a 36 will do. if you get a lot of rain then you want a hydro mower because the belts slip when they get wet it sucks believe me. if your bagging alot hands down the best mower is a walker with the GHS. if the yards are hilly you want a walk behide they are like a moatain goat. my best picks are a walker for bagging but pricey or a lesco walkbehide.

bugspit
03-23-2004, 11:28 PM
This site is very helpful and as a new shopper for a ZTR I've about got it narrowed down.
The ExMarks and Toros are too expensive and look difficult to work on, the Bad Boys have a very long belt and electric deck adj which I don't like. The Great Danes and Scags are basically brothers but I'm told the Dane has many new updates. My price range is under 6K with a 50" deck and the Scag and Dixie are my favorites at this cost. I'm leaning more towards the Scag because I don't like the foot operated deck lift on the Dixie, also the Scag has more options for the price, hour meter, arm rests, HD air filter and the belts look easier to change.

I'll bet they're all good reliable mowers so I figure the creature features and value will determine which one I'll buy. It's been tough, thanks for this site.

mownitup
03-24-2004, 08:17 AM
I keep hearing alot about belts slipping when they are wet, is there not some type of preventive to lessen this from happening, other than letting the grass dry?