PDA

View Full Version : to sub fert?

LawnsRUsInc.
03-17-2004, 03:28 PM
We offer complete lawn and landscaping to our customers. But the down fall is that we never got into fert app. Would it be better to sub it to a local (smaller co) or to just tell your client, or inquirer to call "a to z fert co."

Scraper
03-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Why not get into it? Do you realize the profit ratio on applications?

LawnsRUsInc.
03-17-2004, 03:46 PM
No sorry i do not. We have a good reutation with the community. I know i wouldnt have a hard time getting clients but how much should i expect to pay a certified employee? Also so that way i know what the charge is for fert what is it per 1k of yard for grannular? Thank you to all "scraper"

Jason

Talstar
03-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Do it yourself, and you may see the maint. end of your business become less interesting to you:D

4evergreenlawns
03-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Lawns,

Not sure what the requirements are in WI, but here in IL I went to a three day class set up by IL Dert Of Ag. cost me under $200.00 and than $50.00 a year for three years before I have to take the classes again.

I am a good for Turf and Ord ferts plus the only way to get the Liability rider for Fert is with the Dept. of Ag. cert. other wise most likely your GL has something in writting sayting they WILL NOT cover lawn treatments.

I started out just as a sub for lawn treatment as a sub. The LCO I Subed for did not want to ties up his labor doing ferts. Said his labor yeilds higher returns doing landscape work. Plus he was getting alot of call back for weeds and complaints about the apperance of the lawn. We worked out bill rates and he took a fixed amount per lawn. I am still doing lawn treatments for him today and now he also give me all his commercial work on referal because I only do weekly maintenance on commercial property.

I can tell you in the second year the income from the treatment justifed me investing in a Perma-Green. It paid for itself in the first three apps the first season I owned it. Has been making money ever since.

Either way, drop me a PM if you would like the now more details on the numbers.

Ron

Randy Scott
03-21-2004, 11:14 AM
I've PM'ed LawnsRUs twice and I think he's afraid to call me. I was willing to talk to him about doing their treatments. We are competition though, then again I do this for two other companies and has worked great for two years now. They give a good referral that the customer is confident with, and we make some money. Certainly better than just telling them to look in the phone book.

Scraper
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
I've PM'ed LawnsRUs twice and I think he's afraid to call me. I was willing to talk to him about doing their treatments. We are competition though, then again I do this for two other companies and has worked great for two years now. They give a good referral that the customer is confident with, and we make some money. Certainly better than just telling them to look in the phone book.

I PM'd him too...I don't think he realizes where PM's are.

LawnsRUsInc.
09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
LOL well i didnt really relize where the PM;s were but to the old post of mine i ended up starting it in house last fall have 2 certified applicators and wow the profits are huge all i want to do i get more fert customers than anything i bought a perma green one year ago payed it off easy in the first 2 apps. And its quick easy money. Well after 1 full year now doing fert i have 108 customers.

Runner
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
If you are going to do it, get it now, because in 10 years, the market will be saturated and ruined just like the mowing market was. You can rest assured of it. We see it happening now.

LawnsRUsInc.
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Really well i will keep doing good work at average prices my min. is $40.00 and i checked prices with other providers. Yea i hate the mowing market its to hard to charge a good rate. I just grow slower and charge more.