PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wipers?

85w/350
11-20-2000, 05:31 PM
Hey guys up north, and down south...I've noticed no one has ever said much/anything about wipers...just wanted to see if any of you guys have made any adjustments or replacements of windshield wiper motors or specific blades. I am from South Louisiana and when it rains here it pours so its necessary to have properly working equipment. Especially with the interstate driving I do. On my 85 GMC I applied rain-x to the glass, and replaced my blades but visibility remains fairly poor due to how slow my wipers seem to go. My 85 has multi stage wipers but it seems to have only two working stages...very slow and moderate. Are there any swap outs you guys do with a particular stronger motor for keeping snow off or anything else I know built up snow on the wipers has to put a strain on the wiper motor...just looking for suggestions or maintenance tips. Thanks.

Smither
11-20-2000, 07:02 PM
When I have the problem you're having, I usually replace the wiper motor. Always seems to help. Could be a switch too. Neither one is a hard fix. LMC Truck has the switches. http://www.lmctruck.com.

Chuck Smith
11-21-2000, 07:28 AM
The delayed wiper system is a pain to work on. Replacing the motor may or may not fix it. Replacing the switch may or may not fix it.

I can see what the factory service manual says to check in what order later on, based on what you said is happening.

~Chuck