PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge for 250,000 ft park

jdcutter
03-17-2004, 10:04 PM
What i am looking for is just a average per round.
A round being one of the following 1. Early Spring 2. Late Spring 3. Summer 4. Fall
I am normally a granular company but this customer is a town park and wants liquid fertilizer and weed control.
But thats O.K. I am buying a small liquid company next Tuesday
and he has a 500 gal. tank. He is going to set up the application Program and Schedule he has used for a few years. Witch i will find out on Friday.
So what i am looking for is what you would charge and/or how you calculate your price.
And if you want also what you would use per round.

One more thing Thank You for all who respond. I really appreciate ALL your responses.

jdcutter
03-18-2004, 10:33 AM
just a little help anyone?

greenerpastures
03-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Good question. You can search for a similar thread I started "athletic field pricing" that is similar. Limited feedback to me has been in a range from $3-$9/K/app. A friend in the business simply uses cost of materials X 4. I prefer to weight the bid based on its ease of treatment. A ball field is much more efficient to treat than a picnic area. I recently got a bid on a 5 acre school property @ $4/K/app for fert and post emerge treatments. Your cost will likely be higher going the full liquid route.

TSM
03-18-2004, 04:08 PM
you might want to go hourly plus product on this one.

here what i figure in situations like the one you describe...

treatment rate of 1000sf per minute (figure in pulling hose and going around obsticles, I'd figure 45,000sf per hour)

So, 250,000sf will take about 5.5 hours. (but dont forget to add in time for loading truck and travel)

Now figure product cost PLUS mark-up

So, my ball park price:
labor----------------------$390 (5.5X$60 plus 1hr travel/load)
product-------------------$480 (product plus mark-up 100%)
app price-----------------$870

Now, that is what i MIGHT charge for this type of property. Your market may be higher or lower than mine. And my price is based on a very basic 4 app program.

good luck

James Cormier
03-18-2004, 05:07 PM
TSM, I was surprised to hear (read) you price HR+product on large commerical.

couldnt you ( maybe you have already) take those numbers and come up with a basic charge per K?

I think that would be easier to price out.

so the ? was 250k for basic 4 app

my charge would be $7.00 per k per treatment

250x7= $1750.00

using your fomula would only be charging $3.48 per K, That seems low, dosent it?

I know your chemical cost are lower than mine :) but not that lower, or you gotta give up your supplier

TSM
03-18-2004, 06:02 PM
James, I do use a formular for pricing.
I only mentioned the hourly rate to show jdcutter one way he might want to price this particular site. Since he didnt mention specific products I thought the hourly rate method would show him a good ball park figure.

Fact is I hate getting involved in pricing questions. Without seeing the site and without knowing specifics like products, travel time, what a market will bare, etc. Its all just a big guesstimate.

Though you and I are in the same state I can tell you my market will not allow for $1750 for 250k sf.

We do a school that is 225k (slightly smaller than the 250 we're talkin about) and our charge is $1008.75 for a basic 4 app program. The company that had the account ( i know him well, his price was lower than mine) sold to Scotts and Scotts told the facility manager they dont want to deal with the issues of treating school grounds. My point is this...if i posted on this message board that i needed help in pricing this school and somebody said $1600...I would not have gotten the job. One needs to know their market.

Sorta like the housing market. You and I know that here in MA one should expect to spend $300,000 for a modest 3 bedroom home. Yet go to some other area of the country and buy a castle for the same $300,000.

Anyway, I dont know jdcutter and i certainly dont know the market in WI where he is from. Just wanted to give him a formular that might work for him. Of course if he does go the hourly route, he will need to plug in his own numbers.
I do wish him luck with his bid.

PS-maybe I should start driving out to your neck of the woods and get those higher prices:rolleyes:

James Cormier
03-18-2004, 07:44 PM
I understand what your saying, TSM

I find my commercial prices are very high, But I remember back in THe old fox days we where charging $22.00 per K for a 4 app program and that was almost 20 years ago.

TSM
03-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey Cormier, i just read in here someplace, I guy in MA charges $35 per bag applied! Hes in my neck of the woods. $35 per 50# bag so we're talking around 12000sf?

See why I cant get higher prices??:)

Now if this fellow is reading this as well, I'm not putting you down, you are most likely a 'full' service kinda guy. BUT $35! Your like half my price and I'm already low.

geez
:)

Runner
03-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Here, that would go for around $500. per ap..