PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Rennovation???

lovdasnow
03-18-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi, I was looking for any advice about lawn rennovation? I live in Oregon, and have a few lawns that have a lot of different kinds of grass, and wanted to start over. I just want the ryegrass. (the lawns are about 10-15yrs old) So, I was planning on spraying with Round-up, let die for about 4 weeks, so I make sure that nothing else will be growing(bad grass). Then use a sod stripper to take up the old grass, then bring some top soil, rake it out, and spread seed.
I was a little concerned about the other grasses coming back.
So any advice/ tips would be greatly appreciated. I have never used a sod stripper before, is it very slow?
ok thanks...Jon

joshua
03-18-2004, 04:51 AM
save yourself some time, round-up if you want you don't need to, just sod cut it, remove sod, topsoil where needed and your ready to seed. yes sod cutters move somewhat slow.

hole in one lco
03-18-2004, 05:01 AM
If you are going to use a sod cutter you don't have to kill the grass,you will find it easier to roll the sod up .

1 soil test
2 cut sod out
3 rototill and level
4 bring in top soil for top dressing
5 seed and fert
6 cover with straw, pen mulch, or pet moss
7 water every day water every day water water

The healthier the lawn the less weeds you will have

Old Red
03-18-2004, 05:33 AM
How slow is a sod cutter? I'm sure there's variation as there are different cutters, different sods however I've never used one and am curious. On average how long do you think it would take to strip a thousand square feet?

lovdasnow
03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
thanks for taking the time to answer my ???. I aprpreciate it! Also, do you think that by not killing the grass before stripping the sod, that it would leave roots of crappy grass? That is my only concern, I really don't want the old grass coming up. Also, couldn't I get away with not rotertilling up the old lawn, if I brought in an inch or two of new soil?
THanks a lot....Jon

joshua
03-18-2004, 10:32 PM
once the grass is sod cut the roots will die off. the grass won't be able to repoduce to the blades ( leafs ) if you can't rototill try and at least power rake the dirt or scratch it up some unless you plan on putting new topsoil over the whole area in which you will be seeding.

speeds on sod cutters, they move at a decent walking distance but i haven't used one yet, i subout all removal work and just do the finishing work. but i have seen them in action they can beat you up some to be ready

lovdasnow
03-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Ya, I am planning on bring in some top soil, so that takes care pf that. Also, my customer would PREFER it all be killed off with round up. I appreciate all your replys.
Thanks a lot......Jon

Old Hippy
03-24-2004, 10:17 AM
Sod cutters are very fast 5000 to 12000 sq. ft. per hour. Getting the cut sod off the lawn is the trick. If you want to save it for future use you can roll and haul or cut it in squares pick it up and haul it. If you do not want to save it just get a bucket loader and push it into piles and pick it up.

It takes just a few minutes to cut 1000 sq ft of sod. An average person can pick up about a 1000 to 1500 or more and hour but it is hard work. Especially if you cut it thick like 1.5 to 2 inches. Here is some advice. If you have to pick it up by hand get a 12 inch wide cutter and cut the sod into 12 inch squares by going over it twice at 90 degree angles. Then take wheel barrows and a flat shovel and pick up the 12 inch squares. It is tons easier and faster than rolling 18 inch sod and trying to pick up 75 pound rolls off the ground. When ever we move sod we cut into 12 inch squares and pick it up that way. No one get their back hurt and no one is crawling around on the ground.

You can rent cutters just be sure and get a good one or you will be cursing alot. Make sure the blade is sharp too.

Old Hippy