PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Information......???????

lovdasnow
03-18-2004, 04:33 AM
Hello everyone. I am looking for input about diesel trucks. I am looking into buying a truck(10k or under), and was wondering what you all prefer? I know some of you are die hard Ford or Chevy or dodge or....you get the point. I've had ford and chevy gassers, and liked em both.
But, I wanted to know who has the best engine? Who has the best tranny? What parts go out? How much better are diesels than gassers? What are the better years? What kind of gas milage can you expect while pulling a trailor? And will a diesel engine really run 300,000 on average?
And any other input you want to throw at me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot, Jon

Craftybigdog
03-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Man you asked alot of questions there. I have a dodge and I love it, I think now its come down to personal prefrence. I have seen a dodge with 500,000 miles. I havent or ever heard of a chevy or ford. I know the new dodge out this year(diesel) is 325hp at 600Ft lbs they set the bar this year its a moose. Oh yeah with my truck empty doing 70mph down the highway I get 21mpg.

TRex
03-18-2004, 08:41 AM
I am on a search for a new truck in the same price range and found a great deal on a chevy with a 6.5 diesel and have to pass it up because its just to much risk. You won't be able to find a new duramax around that price either so I think a ford or dodge would be our best bet. I am real close to going with a gasser, but I know I could use the tourqe of a diesel. I am looking into a '96 ford diesel because of all the great things that were said in this post http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65144

Premo Services
03-18-2004, 09:50 AM
You might go to
www.dieseltruckresource.com for info on dodges.
There is one for fords that I visited abefore buying my truck, but I can't think of it now.

When I started this business I had a new 94 1/2 ton gmc seirra 4x4 5.7 v8. I used the truck for 8years and it really did great. I know I needed the heavier truck but I made it work.The last few seasons, the gas was killing me so I decided to go with a diesel. I bought a dodge ram this year, and it is awesome!!!! The power is amazing. The fuel mileage is incredible. I have put about 3500 miles on it and still am amazed that a 6000+ pound machine has so much power and could get around like it does, and not burn much fuel either. I bought used and am very happy that I made the switch. I see the savings almost every day, when the gasser would have consumed the gas that it did, and the diesel tank don't move at all. I know when I get the enclosed trailer this year the mileage will drop some, but this cummins has soo much power.
I know there will be some maintenance, but when you drive anything, there wil be maintenance that has to be done.

Grassmechanic
03-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Premo Services
. I have put about 3500 miles on it and still am amazed that a 6000+ pound machine has so much power and could get around like it does, and not burn much fuel either. I think you're understating the weight just a bit. My Dodge Cummins weighs 8800 # ....empty.:D

lovdasnow
03-18-2004, 11:29 AM
thanks for all the info! I really appreciate your time to reply..
thanks again...Jon

Eclipse
03-19-2004, 12:39 AM
The Cummins is the best built engine of what is being offered. It was intended for a much larger application than a Dodge so it is barely working in a pickup.

The 6.2 and 6.5 GM motors would not even be an option in my opinion. The 7.3 Ford is a decent motor and should give you several years of good service, but when it comes right down to it the Cummins is still the winner for being the most "overbuilt" for the application.

Jeff Quinn
03-19-2004, 01:36 AM
I have a 92 chevy with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. I bought it used in 97 with 50,180 miles on it. Today, it clicked over 200,000 miles. It has given me no problems at all, except that I had to replace the alternator twice, and the fuel gauge no longer works, but neither is an engine problem. With the 411 rear, it pulls great, and I average 17 MPG. I use nothing but BP/Amoco fuel, and change the oil with Rotella every 3000 miles. I hope to keep it going for many more years. I would not hesitate to buy another.

bottlefed89
03-20-2004, 02:56 AM
Get a ford or dodge. The cummins is probably a better engine, but the powerstroke is a close second. Problem with the dodge/cummins is that it's a bada$$ engine in a not so bada$$ truck. I guess what I'm saying is that dodge just barely has a better engine, but the fords are better in about everything else. You'll be able to find a good used powerstroke for that kinda money. Dodge's seem to be a little harder to find. I've been wanting a flatbed 12-valve for a long time, but never really come across them. One thing that you'll discover after buying a diesel is that almost everyone on the internet(for whatever reason) lies about their mileage. So don't be supprised if your cummins or stroke ain't getting ya 20mpg.

lovdasnow
03-20-2004, 12:40 PM
thnaks a lot, thats some good info...Jon

Premo Services
03-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by bottlefed89
One thing that you'll discover after buying a diesel is that almost everyone on the internet(for whatever reason) lies about their mileage. So don't be supprised if your cummins or stroke ain't getting ya 20mpg.

ALMOST but not all lie about their mileages. I do not know about doing the modifications that people do to them, but I have a 2000 Ram 2500HD 5speed with cummins, and do in fact average 20 miles per gallon, mixed city and hiway, this is also with winter mix fuel. Of course, I am not towing anything, but it amazes me to no end that a vehicle of this size and weight can get any where near 20mpg.

jsr2741
03-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Premo Services
ALMOST but not all lie about their mileages. I do not know about doing the modifications that people do to them, but I have a 2000 Ram 2500HD 5speed with cummins, and do in fact average 20 miles per gallon, mixed city and hiway, this is also with winter mix fuel. Of course, I am not towing anything, but it amazes me to no end that a vehicle of this size and weight can get any where near 20mpg.

I get about the same. Fluctuates between 18.5 and 20.

BW4486
03-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Have a 1990 F350 deisel (didn't make Powerstrokes back then) w/ 310,000 miles at least. And have a 2001 powerstroke 250 gets about 16-18 mpg w/ 16 footer behind it

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
I think you're understating the weight just a bit. My Dodge Cummins weighs 8800 # ....empty.:D
You better have those scales checked.
The dodges do get better fuel milage. My 96F250Powerstroke only gets maybe 14 at best.

selnoil
03-21-2004, 09:49 PM
I've got a 96' f250 4x4 extended cab with a power stroke with 130,000. I bought it with over 100,000 on it. It still has tons of power and have had very little problems. Tow trailers all the time, hardly know they are there.

Great motor and tough truck!!!!!!