PDA

View Full Version : Spraying License

Mack
03-18-2004, 07:46 AM
First yes I did a search. My question is if I am in business with a landscape company and working for them and they work for me we each have are own business, my is mowing. We have customers together where I mow and they maintain the mulch, bushes, weeds, ect. My question is they have a license to spray can I spray under there license.

Mack
03-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Any comments out there.

Tscape
03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Your answer is: No.

GroundKprs
03-18-2004, 04:08 PM
You will get a correct answer by checking the top post in this forum for the contacts for your own state regulatory agency. Then call or visit them and get your answer straight from the horses mouth.

In general, you cannot spray under someones else's business license unless you are a direct employee of that licensee. (He gives you a paycheck to perform duties under his direction.) And, in general, you would need some type of personal pesticide license to operate without direct supervision. Actual specific rules vary so much by state, you are best advised to check with your state regulators.

James Cormier
03-18-2004, 05:01 PM
back in the mid 80's you use to be able to spray under someones licence, only if they where with you on site. It was done to help companies train employees

I dont think any state alllows that now.

oakhill2000
03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
you would have to obtain an applicators liscence either on your own or under the company you are spraying for.

Runner
03-19-2004, 10:45 PM
You would have to be an employee, and the billing MUST be done by their company. In other words, there IS no "sub-contracting" anymore. It used to bee, that they could spray, and bill you, as you would bill the customer. Not anymore. Now, the customer MUST be billed by the applicating company. You are not allowed to charge for that work, unless you hold a license.

Mack
03-20-2004, 08:07 AM
Does that include just round-up.

Runner
03-20-2004, 02:17 PM
That includes ANY kind of pesticide.

Tscape
03-20-2004, 03:18 PM
shortcuts, shortcuts, shortcuts. Get a friggin' license. Why spend so much energy to get around the law, when you could put that energy toward getting a license? The law is there for a good reason, and when you come to a community of lawn care professionals asking such questions it is an indication, to me at least, that you are not prepared to invest the proper amount of time, energy, research, study, effort, whatever into your business. Now before you get too defensive, let me just say we are here to help, if that means a slap on the wrist every now and then, well that's just what it is. Horticultural applications are a great source of revenue for a landscape business, so either get with the program or leave it to the proffesionals. Good luck to you either way.

bob
03-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Look in here, http://www.members.aol.com/groundkprs/pesticides/pestregs.html

mickman
03-20-2004, 10:29 PM
I did not know I needed a license for round-up.
I did, however, just download application.
I was licensed under big lco a couple of years ago, as I took on
fertilization program for almost 2 years to learn that aspect of
turf management. I will have to get them to fill out experience form. I'm sure they won't really want to, beings that I'm one of their competitors. But I would quess by law, they'll have to!

Tscape
03-20-2004, 11:17 PM
In MIchigan you fill out the form and give the #'s. The State verifies.

Mack
03-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Hey Turfscape I understand what you are saying, I don t want to get around the law, its just I don t want to get into spraying. I would just like to spray some round up about twice a year for one customer or two without paying that big money to the state for two times if you understand, I know I could pay that guy that I work with to do it to. Thanks

oakhill2000
03-21-2004, 07:31 PM
The liscence is only $25 a year to renew. I forget how much to get it but it isn't much. In Mass you have to complete 6 hours of educational programs every 3 years. I don't know if all states are the same. So if you are going to be using any kind of pesticide get the liscence and set an example. I don't do too much spraying but I found out I needed one to even spread Preen on someone elses property, so I got my liscence. I know way too many landscapers in my area that spray and spread pesticides that don't have a liscence. It makes me mad because they don't enforce the law enough. Noone checks liscences so it is too easy to not bother. I just hope someday they start checking.