PDA

View Full Version : How do I charge for thatch, seed and fertilzer

RJHLandscaping
03-18-2004, 03:33 PM
I have alot of people interested in these services. I am just not sure how to charge. I will rent a machine and buy the materials. Obvoiously I need to cover the rental but what is a fair per sqare price? Potomac, Maryland

RJHLandscaping
03-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Where's my boy LAWNZZZ? I need help. people waiting

BW4486
03-19-2004, 05:40 PM
material costs + $pmh= Total cost

nickslawn
03-19-2004, 07:32 PM
material cost + rental cost + hourly rate. thats the only fair way. You don't want to cheat them and especially not yourself.

BW4486
03-20-2004, 08:39 AM
yea I just grouped rental cost w/ material cost

RJHLandscaping
03-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate how you veterens look out for the new guys on this site. You all are one of my most valueable assets.

steve in Pa.
03-20-2004, 01:48 PM
per man hour + materials

allgreen lawn
03-20-2004, 11:35 PM
call a couple local companies without advertising who you are and drill the sales rep for diff. prices, try the local trugreen or scotts if any in your area, if you are looking to stay competitive. hope this helps

CDJLANDSCAPING
03-22-2004, 09:14 PM
How about 3 times the amount of Fert?

RJHLandscaping
04-02-2004, 04:51 PM
hoping for something more sientific

BW4486
04-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Theres not much science in it

kamor4
04-03-2004, 02:05 AM
I think all greenlawns has the most current and precise information to give you a number to work with. It also looks to me like you are already in some type of lawn maintenance busines or people wouldn't be requesting these additional services from you. How do you currently charge for the services that you do offer. Do you charge by the sqft, 100 sqft or the time needed to complete the job. Take your current hourly rate +rental price+material price but also figure gasoline, time it take to pick up rental, time it take to get supplies, overhead, profit, taxes, etc. If your currently in business you should be figuring in all this information on every job that you do. If your renting equipment it would make sense to line up a number of job so that you can spread out the all your overhead cost between a number of customers. Maybe give a discount to customers if they allow you to do there jobs on your schedule so that it cost you less in overhead to get the job done.
Also if you need to know how long it will take you to do a 100 sqft area rent the dethatcher, the seeder, and fertilizer and perform this service on your own lawn, which will give you all the information you will need as well a practice on the rental equipment before you use on a customers lawn.

Lawn aeration is also something you should look into:
this is a book you might find interesting:
Lawn aeration-turn hard soil into cold cash(how to start this business for less than $500.00 by Robin M. Pedrotti
Prego Press
P.O. Box 293
Rodeo, CA 94572

Good luck