PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Q&A

Zito
03-18-2004, 04:54 PM
I learned of LawnSite through a friend and I'm thrilled to see all this info. I've spent the better part of a week reading through all the old stuff, and I have learned a ton. This is to be my first season in the lawn business, and I just got a 36" Ferris hydro, and I hope to purchase a Grasshopper from the old guy next door when he retires at the end of this year. I have searched, but can't find a specific answer to my question, which is this: I can get an Echo SRM 260s for $299 or a Shindaiwa T231 for the same price. Which is the better deal? Thanks, and I look forward to learning more from you landscaping vetrans.

Flipperneck
03-18-2004, 05:00 PM
I'd go with echo, but I've never used shindaiwia anything before.
I like echo and redmax string trimmers, redmax backpacks, husquvarna chainsaws, echo hedge trimmers, little wonder push blowers, scag and exmark mowers.

workaholic
03-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Shindaiwa or stihl is the only way to go. we have used echo and was not happy with that product, did not last long at all....

metro-hp_48
03-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Welcome zito! I only buy Shind. (until they give me a reason not to) but never held an Echo, so can't comment on that.

Del9175
03-18-2004, 09:08 PM
I currently use Echo, but am planning on switching to something else. Probably shindiawa. I am pretty unsatisfied with my last Echo purchase. Since the day it was brand new, it has taken an average of three pulls to get it running. Sometimes less sometimes more. Ususally five or six when its cold.

lawncare3
03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Shindaiwa t-230 I have had one for a while and it's great. You can't go wrong with shindy.

gravedigger5
03-18-2004, 09:28 PM
I have a echo 2100 and a Shindawia 261, not a great comparrison but I prefer the shin. Only reason I keep the Echo is cause its a split boom with several attachments. If I would have to buy new I would go with the shin. JMHO Marc

Tharrell
03-18-2004, 09:37 PM
The answer is: Which dealer will give better service. If the same dealer sells both brands, you're on your own.

metro-hp_48
03-18-2004, 09:45 PM
That's what I love about Shindaiwa. Never had to take one to get serviced.

Lawn Dog2001
03-18-2004, 09:54 PM
I have never used any Shindaiwa products. So I cant speak for them. But I use, and own alot of Echo products and have been happy with all of them. THe Echo Srm260 is a good trimmer and you will be happy with it. You probably cant go wrong with either brand though. I have read nothing but good things about Shin.

KL Squared
03-18-2004, 10:07 PM
I have both a Shin and an Echo. I use the Echo as a back up. The Shin is stronger.

BrianK10
03-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Shindaiwa puts out great trimmers and blowers. I myself buy Redmax products, but whenever I get the chance to use my friend's Shin trimmer/blower, theres nothin I could say bad about them.

Brian

energy
03-19-2004, 01:09 AM
I use all echo 26cc handhelds. They are nice. quiet, light, not so much vibration. Never had any problems with all 4 of my 26cc engines. But i think you should go put some in your hands and get the feel of them before you buy. Twist, rotate, balance feel all of them the way you trim and whichever feels the best is the one i would get. Plus home depot sell parts until 9pm for echo.

Ron Greenwood Jr
03-19-2004, 02:46 AM
Never tried shin but I tell you what echo wont be seeing any of my $

PaulJ
03-19-2004, 03:39 AM
I think the echo 260 is a bigger engine than the shin 231. but I would prefer the shin. I have an older, smaller echo now and havn't had any porblems with it but I will be buying Shin as soon as the dealer gets some more in. That price seems a bit high for the shin though.

Whichever you buy, look into the edgit edging and trimming guide to get the most out of your trimmer. www.edgit.com

lawnman_scott
03-19-2004, 08:08 AM
I would say its personal preference here because I will never buy shindiawa again. They are like cheap toys to me.

metro-hp_48
03-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
I would say its personal preference here because I will never buy shindiawa again. They are like cheap toys to me.

So, what brand YOU recommend lawnman_scott? And why do you prefer it?

TURF DOCTOR
03-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Shindawia 1 of the best i am trying redmax, go with shindawia.

P&C Lawn Care
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
I always like how someone recomends a certain brand when they have never even used the other brand. But this is my thoughts, if you can buy the unit at Lowes or Home Depot it is not a commercial unit and probblay not something you want to earn your bacon with. Yes you may save some money buying the cheaper version, in the long run it MAY cost you more in downtime or just plain old breakdown. A homeowner unit may last a few years but is not made to the specifications commercial units are.
I would say that the majority of the commercial units for sell are good. Each person may have their own personal preference. But with high Quality Control with the large manufactors (Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Tanaka, Shindaiwa) there is not alot of junk made. We started years ago with a brand called Green Machine and then graduated to Shindaiwa. I have never had to try another brand since then, with the good service Shin equipment has given me. But with each brand (just like Ford, Dodge and CHevy) you will find ones who love them or hate them.

Zito
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have decided on the Shin; sounds more reliable, plus the dealer is 10 minutes closer to me. Although I don't like the fact that their website does not have their phone number. That is often an indicater of poor support, but it sounds like I shouldn't need it anyway. Thanks again for the advice!

metro-hp_48
03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
You won't be disapointed, zito!

specialtylc
03-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Zito
Thanks for all the input. I have decided on the Shin; sounds more reliable, plus the dealer is 10 minutes closer to me. Although I don't like the fact that their website does not have their phone number. That is often an indicater of poor support, but it sounds like I shouldn't need it anyway. Thanks again for the advice!
Whether or not a dealer has a phone # on their web site or a web site at all is NO indicator of the service you will receive. My favorite dealer has no web page.

Zito
03-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Whether or not a dealer has a phone # on their web site or a web site at all is NO indicator of the service you will receive. My favorite dealer has no web page.

Sorry Specialtylc, I was unclear. When I said "their", I meant Shindaiwa's website. But your probably right. I like y local dealer, and I think he'll make up for any corporate shortcomings.

metro-hp_48
03-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Don't worry about their site not having a phone #. Why would you ever want to call them anyway? (sure you can get a # for their "home office", but without a translator.......unless you can speak Japanese (not to assume you can't)

Your dealer will be able to answer any questions. (plus, most Shind. owners here, will know more than some dealers)

I and I'm sure 90% knew you meant Shind. when you said, "their"
website. (all dealers have a # listed on the Shind. dealer locator pages)