PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Gate vs. The Backsaver

ksland
03-18-2004, 04:18 PM
This seems to be a popular topic so I figured I would share my experiences with the two.

For starters I recommend these to EVERYONE who uses an open trailer with a gate. I have back problems and I am pretty sure they started from lifting trailer gates all day.

I have bought both the backsaver (thebacksaver.com) and the EZ-gate (ballard-inc.com).

The EZ-gate was $169 plus shipping and the backsaver $199 plus shipping.

The Backsaver:

Nice unit, I like its compact size and one piece design. I don't like the fact that its a painted unit (rust), it makes noises over bumps with the window down (spring vibrating). Lifts the gate (4 foot) well but the EZ-gate lifts a little better, could just be adjustment not sure. I think it has a slightly smaller spring than the EZ-gate.

EZ-Gate:

Nice unit as well. I like its stainless steel finish (no rust) and it has a plastic insert to prevent spring vibration over bumps. Not quite as streamline sleek looking as the backsaver. Has a slightly larger spring and provides a little more lifting help than the backsaver. Again this could be adjusted differently but I think it is because of the heavier spring.

Bottom line:
EZ-gate wins. Price is less ($30), installation is about the same on both units, but the EZ-gate will resist the weather better and does not annoyingly vibrate like the backsave does.

Picture of the EZ-Gate to follow, will post the backsaver pic also.

ksland
03-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Here is the Backsaver:

Should also mention that both units do a great job, Even though the EZ-Gate would be my assist of choice, the Backsaver is still worth the money as opposed to no assist.

rookiemower
03-19-2004, 11:55 PM
thanks for the imput ksland i always liked the sleek look of the backsaver but i cant see spending the money heres mine

FuzzyOne
03-20-2004, 10:29 PM
I just bought the EZ-Gate but haven't installed it yet. For anyone interested, J. Thomas has the best price.

http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/238.htm

$139.99

Bill Davis
03-21-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a big tex landscape trailer with the four foot mesh sides. How could I put one of these units on my trailer. My gate is extremely heavy with all the reinforcing I did to it so I need a little help.

FuzzyOne
03-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Ballard (EZ-Gate Mfg.) recommends 2 "kits" if your gate is over 180 lbs.

Evan528
03-21-2004, 08:04 AM
ksland, Thank you very much for the comparison. Been meaning to buy one of these for years and just havent gotten to it. With my back getting progressivly worse I think its time.

Fuzzyone, Thanks for the link....gonna order one right now from J-thomas...best price ive seen.

z_clark
03-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much for your views and pictures of these products. Does anyone know if these can be installed on 4 foot high side rail trailers? Thanks!

ksland
03-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Ballard-Inc tells me those J-Thomas ones are made of different material. I am not sure I believe it, I will have to order one from them and compare. That is why they are less money they explained.

FuzzyOne
03-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Hmmm, not sure about the different material. It says EZ-Gate on the side of the stainless steel tube. What could be different about it. It's a couple of bolts, a spring, a tube , some wire and a piece of chain.

The directions look very simple.

ksland
03-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Fuzzy- any chance you can snap some pics of your box and the unit itself so I can compare?

FuzzyOne
03-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Sure, after I get it installed. Should be tomorrow.

ksland
03-21-2004, 05:28 PM
I have been informed that the quilty of product is better oredering directly from EZ-Gate manufacturer. There is a heavier spring and plastic insert (which set it apart from the backsaver) in the stainless tube to prevent noise. Sounds as if you get what you pay for.

FuzzyOne
03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
OK, I mounted it. Took about an hour just as the directions said. Here's my 2 cents:

-I can lift my gate with 2 fingers, no lie...
-I'm surprised there isn't a safety cable running through the spring (like a garage door one)
-I like the stainless steel tube with a plastic insert to stop any potential rattles.
-I don't like the hook that attaches to the gate. It just doesn't seem like it will be strong enough. I'll replace it with one of those "linky things" that you close.
-Ballard needs to make the screws that attach the clamps together about 1/4" longer. They were a b&tch to connect.

Here's a pic. I see no difference in my J. Thomas one from the other. BTW, I ordered this and another box of stuff and shipping for all was about $18 to NJ.

http://www.patmedia.net/jbevan/images/ez4.jpg

http://www.patmedia.net/jbevan/images/ez3.jpg

FuzzyOne
03-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Here's the box it came in. It was shipped directly from Ballard according to the UPS label. :D

http://www.patmedia.net/jbevan/images/ez5.jpg

ksland
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the pictures. It upsets me to see that I have been mislead.

BTW I can see the bolts for the clamps being shorter like they are so they won't stick out and catch clothing once tightened up. I just used channel locks to bent it together and slid the bolt through, was pretty easy really. There is no doubt, that is the exact same unit that I bought.:angry:

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
I put a Easy gate on my trailer 3 years ago. Works great.I had the same problem with the tube bolts being too short. Also the guide pulley for the cable went bad last summer so I had to replace it.

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by z_clark
Thank you so much for your views and pictures of these products. Does anyone know if these can be installed on 4 foot high side rail trailers? Thanks!
I think you could install on your trailer, but they would have to be mounted on the sides. About 18 inches from floor. You would have to make some custom mounting brackets.

FuzzyOne
03-21-2004, 08:17 PM
ksland,

We all spend more on some things than others. I ordered Jungle Wheels the other day and then saw them a few dollars cheaper after reading a few posts. Some times this site can be good and some times bad.

Do you think it would be worth putting another eye bolt at the rear of the tube and feeding the cable through it to act as a "stop" if the spring should break? Maybe I worry too much, but it looks like the tube can double as a cannon. :(

Lawn-Scapes
03-23-2004, 10:24 PM
I'd like to know if it is possible to have the cable feed through the pullies in an "S" configuration with the EZ unit? My trailer has the new fangled latches that would be in the way of the cable.. but if I can have the cable come over the top of the top pulley.. it may work.

Anyone?

draftlawncare
03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
i hual alot of mulch has anybody had a problem with mulch jamming one of these units up or causing any problems

Lawn-Scapes
03-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Anyone have any idea about feeding the cables through the pullies in an S configuration? See 2 posts back.

Thanks