PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

swim
03-18-2004, 08:59 PM
I have been cutting this lawn for 5 or 6 years. Met and talked to the guy that does the lawn across the street. He seems very nice and like a good guy. Last fall the guy that owns the property in question comes over to me to ask me to cut his lawn 1 last time for the year. He says that he has called the other guy, but he did not return the call or come by for the last cut. I told him sure. I did it for the same price as the regular guy. I told him that I am not interested in trying to get the lawn, but if he needs anything over the winter give me a call.

The other day he calls and asks me to cut his lawn this year. I ask what about the other guy. He says that he is not very dependable and he has to call him most of the time to get him to come over. I said well I guess but don't want to take the nice guys lawn. He said well I contacted you anyway. I said OK do you want me to come measure it or charge the same as the last guy. He says the same is fine with him. So I said OK I'll see you in a couple days. Also the other guy does other lawns on the street and I will see him every week.

Did I do the right thing or am I sticking it to the other guy who was nice to me?

dvmcmrhp52
03-18-2004, 09:05 PM
The customer came to you,didn't like his previous service apparently,and now you have a new customer.

I don't see any thing underhanded about it.

metro-hp_48
03-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Dang Swim, the only prop. I do in Franklin, and your trying to snatch it up.
(J/K......has to be a joke, cause he wouldn't have to call and remind me. Always on time.)
Go for it. Let the customer decide. Seems like he did, and chose you. Cut it guilt free.

Premo Services
03-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
The customer came to you,didn't like his previous service apparently,and now you have a new customer.

I don't see any thing underhanded about it.

I agree, the customer came to you.
If the "nice guy that was doing it, comes to you and doesn't have a bad attitude, this would be a good time to tell him that it was a lesson he should have learned. TAKE CARE OF HIS CUSTOMERS OR THEY ALL WILL FIND SOMEONE ELSE...

metro-hp_48
03-18-2004, 09:14 PM
...........but that said, I can see how it would be awkward to have to run into him, and him seeing you doing his ex-yard....but the customer wants you.....Seems like the bottom line.

ludwiglawncare
03-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I would cut the lawn. You are the person who ultimately has to make the decision, but the guy came to you looking for dependability. There is no shame in being dependable.

gravedigger5
03-18-2004, 09:21 PM
If the customer is not happy with the other guy, he is going to find someone more reliable to do it whether it is you or not. I don't try to steal yards away from other lcos, but if I get the chance to get my foot in the door, I go for it. Especialy if you are already mowing across the street. You are making a living at this, and you have to look out for #1. Just my 2cents worth, Marc

Randy Scott
03-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't TRY taking a job from a friend. If offered the job, I would bid it. Taking work from other companies on the other hand, that's called business. Every time anyone prepares a bid, they are taking work from someone. Don't kid yourselves into thinking you're a nice guy. Any person out there is fair game.

Secondly, why would you service the property for the same price as his last service that he wasn't happy with, and had to continually hound to get it done. That's stupid, you have the opportunity to make a few bucks more, even if the current price is fair to you, you STILL should up-sell the charges due to what you supposedly will bring to the table. Better service and reliability. Some of you guys need to know when to seize the moment.

Del9175
03-18-2004, 09:44 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong. I have been in similar situations where I have done various jobs for people that I don't mow their lawn. I know and am friendly with the Co. that does so I never try to get the lawn job until they offer it to me. I figure if they aren't happy with their current service they are going to get someone else so it may as well be me. As I said, I know the other LCO and he knows I'm not out to steal his work.

lawnman_scott
03-18-2004, 09:55 PM
It happens all the time. If you see him tell him why your doing the lawn. shouldnt evan question it.

Expert Lawns
03-18-2004, 10:02 PM
friendly competition. he isn't dependable, that's not your problem.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
03-19-2004, 06:34 AM
He may learn a very vauluable lesson. Besides if you didn't do it someone else will. Try and work with the guy and tell him you didn't steal the account but your not gonna turn down business.

GrassFearsMe
03-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Who voted no in the poll i mean seriously the cutomer chose him he didnt look to take it away from the other dude. I have gotten new accounts because the previous company was not reliable or good. As a matter of fact we lost a good customer to a goof (dont do any work without first taking to the customer, bad news)
he got some1 else and by the end of the season we cut the lawn b/c his new guy didnt show or return phone calls. I feel happy that even after pissing the customer off our reliablity was the reason he called us back.

sildoc
03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Randy Scott

Secondly, why would you service the property for the same price as his last service that he wasn't happy with, and had to continually hound to get it done. That's stupid, you have the opportunity to make a few bucks more, even if the current price is fair to you, you STILL should up-sell the charges due to what you supposedly will bring to the table. Better service and reliability. Some of you guys need to know when to seize the moment.

I am with you Randy. What the heck I would at least added 10%. You took an account that could have easily paid you more. Now it is going to take years before you even get to where you could have started out at. Say it was a 30 dollar account. why not say well I can do it but not quite for the price of what your gentleman was able to do it for. I would normally charge 40 for it but since I can still make money at 35 I will do it for that.
You raised the price over 10%. 99% of the time the owners never snivvel. If he does then explain insurance, fuel, million dollar mower, and other items that it takes to make his yard beutiful.

rodfather
03-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Someone is going to get the account, so it might as well be you IMO...

bobbygedd
03-19-2004, 12:37 PM
take it. price it using YOUR pricing guidlines, don't lower it to match his, and don't raise it to take advantage. just price it at your prices. randy, very unproffessional, i'm ashamed at you

lawn perfection
03-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Take the job. Its not personel, just business. if you are satisfied with the price thats all that matters. Do a good job and show up on time.

swim
03-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Just a heads up I did take the lawn, as the majority of the poll agreed with me. I went by this morning and cut it.
I agree with what most everyone said, he was going to replace the other guy anyway. May as well be. Hopefully no hard feelings, but if he asks I'll tell him the truth.

As far as being stupid for not raising the price. I'll have to disagree with that. I did cut it 1st last fall and new what it was before I said yes this spring. It is at a price that I am very comfortable with and the owner will be happy that he is getting someone dependable for the same money.:D