PDA

View Full Version : Non Turbo Diesel

Andyinchville
03-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi ,

I have a chance to buy a 1988 Ford F250
4x4 Diesel Pick Up....The truck is in good shape but the one thing that struck me as odd was the fact that the diesel engine in it was a non turbo unit.....Is this worthwhile doing (I mean getting a diesel w/o a turbo).....I have heard that the stop and go driving I do pulling a trailer might be hard on a turbo unit (coking problems etc,)....so maybe getting a non turbo unit i
is a blessing in disguise or should I just get a truck w/ a turbo and idle it up and down to let the turbo cool off (seems like that would be a pain to do 12+ times a day minimum), Any input would be greatly appreciated.,

Thanks

Andrew

PS - I'm normally a Dodge man but the
price on this truck is sooo right,

Eclipse
03-19-2004, 12:43 AM
A non turbo diesel will be very doggy and seem like it has no power. Especially with a trailer in tow.

terracare
03-19-2004, 01:14 AM
you could also instal an aftermarket turbo like a banks if you do need more power

Ed

Grassmechanic
03-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Those old ford non-turbo diesels were dogs. Can't even get out of their own way. The price is right for a reason. Stick with the Cummins.

cuttinggreen
03-19-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a 88 Ford that was originally a non turbo. After a short period of time I put an aftermarket turbo on it. Not a big ordeal. Runs like a new truck. I now have over 250,000 miles on it with doing nothing other than replacing glow plugs. I would not hesitate buying the truck and if you feel there is not enough power, put a turbo on it. Again easy to do. The 7.3 is a very tough motor. Lots of low end torque. Lots better mileage than a gasser too. That motor should outlast the body of the truck. Mine has at least.

Just my opinion.

jlewis
03-19-2004, 11:29 AM
I have a '93 non turbo 7.3 and have no issues w/ it. The 88 may have the 6.9. Same basic motor. What you need to be concerned about is cavitation. The 6.9 had it more than the 7.3. See if the current owner put the special coolant additive in the coolant. There are test strips that you can buy at Napa, IH truck dealer or a (big) tractor store. This will tell you if it is in the coolant now, not whether it has been used in the past.

Cavitation causes pin hole leaks in the cylinder walls. The only fix is to bore/sleeve (read major $$)

I have a Banks stinger system (exhaust / intake) on my truck so I am at 200hp, 400lb ft torque. It is not a sports car, it is a F350 crew dually, I don't need more hp for what I use it for.

Joe

Mdirrigation
03-19-2004, 10:36 PM
a friend had a 86 with a 6.9 he put on 3 inch eshaust and a bigger air cleaner, quite an increase in power, pulled a skid steer , no problem , he sold the truck to his brother in law with 550,000 miles on it its a bit rough lookin but still going strong.

I have a 93 ford with a 7.3 and a 93 international flat bed with the same engine , great trucks , yes I could leave the light quicker If I had a turbo but they do the job just fine and great fuel mileage

bayfish
03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
1987 was the last year of the 6.9. The 7.3 is a tough motor. I have an 88 F350 stake. I've loaded 8 yards of mulch on it and towed a trailer with tractor with frontend loader, together and it did just fine. Mine is a 5 speed manual. I don't know how an automatic would do. Also have a PSD and their is no comparison. The PSD is powerful.

Andyinchville
03-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi.

Thanks for all the input.....I have been still
been thinking about this truck....If it had an auto trans It would be sitting in my driveway now but since it is a stick I'm still debating it (I can drive a stick but alot of times I find myself w/ 3 people in the cab and snacking between jobs....kinda hard to do while rowing the gears.....Hmmm not to mention if the cell phone rings....It' good to know that the non turbo units are OK too (I guess just a little down on power) But I guess it is the mileage increase that I'm after too.....I currently have a 86 W250 w/ a 360 4bbl and auto trans....Gets about 7 MPG towing a 16' trailer.....With gas prices what they are I need better mileage.....

Thanks again for all the input

Andrew

bottlefed89
03-20-2004, 02:46 AM
I'd try to find you a 94 idi turbo 7.3L, or a powerstroke. There is more power to be had from them in the stock form. Very true that if you have the non-tubo idi you can add a turbo for power, but by the time you do that you might as well buy a turbo and save yourself the hassle(unless you have fun with that type of thing, I have a different turbo on my psd). between the older 7.3's and the powerstroke there are a lot more differences than just the turbo's. Save and buy a stroke would be my advice. they've been out since 94.5 so you can find older ones reasonably priced. But... if the price is right you'd be fine with the n/t idi 7.3, you just wont get anywhere very fast, esp. with a trailer.