PDA

View Full Version : wide tires on a walkbehind?

AuburnGuy
03-19-2004, 11:59 AM
I have been wondering lately if its possible to put a wider rim and tire on walkbehind. It seems if you could get a tire about twice as wide as what normally comes from the factory it would greatly reduce rutting. I don't have a big problem with this, but Ive never understood why the tires are so small in the first place. The walkers have wide low profile tires, why not have wider tires on a smaller walkbehind. Let me know if this is a dumb idea.

rookiemower
03-19-2004, 01:58 PM
i think that when you would turn quick it would tear the turf, it might not cause ruts but that wide area would eat the turf especially with a hydro. ( I THINK)

Tharrell
03-19-2004, 08:57 PM
How small of a walkbehind? 32 and 36 can't go wider because you'll be trimming your hiney off because you didn't cut close enough. There are no perfect mowers, only close.

locutus
03-19-2004, 09:12 PM
The only problem is, that you will be pushing down grass that you will be mowing on the next pass. Do you understand what I am saying? This does not apply to a very wide mower, say 50". Someone correct me if I an wrong.

locutus
03-19-2004, 09:13 PM
]oop's

PaulJ
03-21-2004, 02:09 AM
Hustler did it with there super walks. that was one of the selling pints for me.