PDA

View Full Version : cleaning trimmer carb.

Nitroman
03-19-2004, 05:58 PM
I've Never done this, I have a echo 210 and it runs a little ruff. When I start it.. it bogs down, it takes at least three times of starting it to get it to stay running. Unless I just flore the gas on the second or third time it trys to start after pulling it 15+ times. Then after a few minutes of running high rpms it fine. :confused:

When you clean the air filter what do you guys do? Use water, blow it out or just replace it. It's only been threw one season.

Any tips on cleaning the Carb?:(

tailoredlook
03-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Try some carb cleaner. Available at any auto parts store.

GreenTurf
03-19-2004, 06:53 PM
i think to seem this is the way echo's are. all mine do it even when they are brand new. when you get it started toggle the choke lever up and down when you have it at 1/2 to 3/4 speed and should keep it running. I do that all the time.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Did you change the plug ?I usually tear mine totally apart and clean everything.If exhaust is gunked up I tear it off and dump a little gas in it and ignite it (Outside of course) and let it burn out. The little spark arrester on my Echo Hedge shears plugged up and it would run right.I like to freshen up my stuff every pre-spring that way alot of breakdowns are eliminated.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-19-2004, 07:12 PM
I soak my filters overnite in dish liquid and water,Blow them out with compressed air then let dry out, Check over pre-cleaners and replace if tore.I spray them with a little air cleaner oil for foam filters.

Westbrooklawn
03-20-2004, 07:38 PM
I have had terible experience with the gas lines on echo two cycle equipment. They break down.....due to the poor quality of today's gas according to my echo dealer. They don't look bad on the outside, but replacing them works wonders in the way the equipment runs. I gues they develop air leaks which messes up the way the fuel feeds to the carb.

I have had trimmers that don't run right......cleaned exhaust, cleaned carb, changed plugs, adjusted carb, etc. but they still didn't run right. Changed gas and vent lines and they straightened right out. Try it.....

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 07:39 PM
sounds like a typical echo to me

Curtis
03-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Take the exhaust screen out and throw it away those things have caused me more trouble than their worth . Also clean the exhaust port but make sure the piston is closed .

ceytl
03-21-2004, 07:47 PM
I cannot believe that quality of expertise in this area. I am saying this sarcastically. First of all never take off the exhaust screen; doing so will cause internal engines problems down the road. The exhaust should be cleaned or replaced when there is too much carbon build up. To clean the best way is carb cleaner or a good solvent. I always put new screen in because it is not that expensive.
The best way to clean your carb is with carb cleaner; however, this will not always work, you may need to buy a carb kit which can cost between 10-15 dollars. Sometimes it is easier to buy a whole new carb for $35. Always replace your spark plug, bad gas or poor fuel mixture can foul the plug.
On the Echo's they are known for carb problems. They use Zama carbs the same that Ryobi, Homelite and WeedEater.
If it takes you more than an hour to fix your carb problems it would be cheaper for you to take it somewhere to fix it.
Your time is worth money.

bugspit
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Is there something better than Echo? Don't all 2-strokes have these issues?

bart may
03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
I have 3 stihls with over 1,000 hours each and I always take the screens out when new. They clog at least once a week. My dealer told me to do it. I haven't had any problems doing this. The screen is a spark arrestor, required when trimming on national forest and such. I don't think I'll start a fire on some green bluegrass. I haven't yet. Do what you want.

tiedeman
03-21-2004, 08:47 PM
two things I do:
1. take off the exhaust screen and spray carb cleaner on it
2. use a wire brush on the screen to clean it off

Those have worked year after year for me. I have never had to replace a screen

premier lawn care
03-21-2004, 08:54 PM
I agree w/ the exhaust screen!

shorty7616
03-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Where would I find the exhaust screen?