PDA

View Full Version : 2000-2004 GM Pick-Up Recall

niceguy
03-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I read this in todays Newspaper:
GM is recalling 4 million pick-ups worldwide. Models are the 00-04 chevy silverado, GMC Siera's built between Oct 99 and Oct. 03. Also a limited amout of Escalades and Avalanches are included.
The reason for the recall is the cable that holds the tailgate in place when the tailgate is open can corrode or fracture. There has been 134 minor injuries. If you have one of these vehicles, You will recieve notification in phases. In the meantime. Do not put a direct load on the tailgate. They will replace the cables w/ stailess steel cables.

CNE
03-21-2004, 06:10 PM
I've seen them break but haven't heard of the recall yet. I'm a GM technician full time and part time LCO. I don't see how you could get injured by it. The tailgate would stop when it hits the bumper which is only a couple of inches lower than the strap stop.

Grassmechanic
03-22-2004, 06:56 AM
They were falling off and hitting the vehicles behind them. I also read about the recall, and saw it on the news.

logjammer
03-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I had mine break already. I heard it coming, so I took weight off of it before it hurt the tailgate. My friend had his break and he wasn't so lucky. He was taking out his mountain bike and it broke while he was on the tail gate. He fell off and dislocated his shoulder. GM gave him two new ones and said you must of nicked them. They need to bring the old style straps back that were on older trucks.

Jeff

CNE
04-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
They were falling off and hitting the vehicles behind them. I also read about the recall, and saw it on the news.

Well now you shouldn't ride down the road with the gate open in the first place now should you?

pottstim
04-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by logjammer
They need to bring the old style straps back that were on older trucks.

Jeff

Amen! But that will never happen unfortunately. Evidentally, the cable straps are cheaper and lighter. Even the cable straps on our '98 F150 at work are starting to frey.

grassyfras
04-07-2004, 02:04 PM
is this why my tailgate fell off while mulching?

Lowcountry Lawn Care
04-23-2004, 10:40 PM
I have a 2003 silverado. I recieved my recall letter yesterday stating that they will be replacing the cables soon. They say in the meantime not to put weight on the tailgate or injury may occur. Also they say to take the tailgate off if you must haul in the bed and weight will be put on the tailgate causing you load to come out.

dobehap
04-27-2004, 07:14 PM
I got the notice few days ago as well, to bad my cables broke long time ago, and I had them replaced with aftermarket cables myself.

CNE
04-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by dobehap
I got the notice few days ago as well, to bad my cables broke long time ago, and I had them replaced with aftermarket cables myself.

Most of the recalls that GM puts out have a reimbursement clause. If you bought new cables and still have your reciept, you should be able to go to your local dealer and get your money back. At the worst, you can have them install the new GM cables for free.

glllc
04-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Glad i got FORDs.

hosejockey2002
04-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by CNE
Well now you shouldn't ride down the road with the gate open in the first place now should you?

Does it state in the owner's manual not to drive with the tailgate down? I would really hope that you could drive a $30,000 truck down the road without fear of pieces falling off.;)

CNE
05-06-2004, 09:53 PM
It is a safety issue, not a GM recommendation to not drive with the tailgate down. Actually, I think it might be a law in some states. I agree that pieces should not fall off. I'm not defending GM's quality or lack of. I think the quality has dropped over the years. They have definately gotten uglier, especially the latest front end.