PDA

View Full Version : dead spots in the yard

jeff_0
03-19-2004, 09:17 PM
I looked at a yard today that had a few dead spots. The lady said it's from where the dog pees at. The sections are pretty small. I bought some scotts turf soil that contains starter fert. I planed on digging a inch of the soil up and putting the scotts soil down. and putting seeds on top of that. The sections isn't big enough to worry about putting down straw. Sould i just put a light coating of soil on top of the seeds after putting it down. or just leave the seeds on top of the new soil... Thanks

sildoc
03-20-2004, 01:24 AM
First get rid of dog. Then, for best results I would just add a little bit of soil on top to assure good soil see contact.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Tell her to avoid this watch where fido whizzes then spray it with the garden hose,This delutes the urea in the urine,Thats what burns out the grass.

Lbilawncare
03-20-2004, 11:24 AM
I had a customer ask if there was something she could put in her dog's water to neutralize the urea, has anyone heard such a thing? I think that might be a time consuming option, but she is tired of her dog killing the grass. It took me a while to convince her it was her dog in the first place, she just didn't want to believe it.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Well being in the biz I like to keep my lawn up to snuff ,but a member of my family (Black Lab) peez right in the front yard so this keeps me busy seeding the dead spots all summer long,I have checked everywhere thinking there would be something I could give her,But I have heard certin types of dog food will generate more urea in there urine.

M Raggs Yard Service
03-20-2004, 11:34 AM
There is a pill that you can give dogs that eliminates brown spots.

We have a friend who has a choc. lab female and the pills really do work.

Sorry I do not know the name but I am sure you could check with a vet for more info.

gramps
03-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Sure you didn't gas up there.

lbmd1
03-20-2004, 02:24 PM
Lawn and Garden guy is correct. By changing my dog's food to "Nutro" brand dog food, all my dog's piss spots disapeared. Was told by someone else about this dog food brand and was skeptical but it worked just like they said. It is something in the food that has less or no animal by products that causes the acid to be neutralized or something like that.

Mike

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Its the animal by-products that do it,but I still get them maybe not as bad ,I switched to Buckeye Pro Form

jeff_0
03-21-2004, 02:00 AM
did the soil have to be removed or are you able to put seeds just over the dead spots. since it rains and the urin has been washed through the soil.