PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping Price Question

grasssin
03-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Bid a landscaping job for a retirement community today. Look over the job description and tell me what you think.

Have about 135 sq. foot of flower beds to be refurbished with new top soil and pinestraw and of course flowers and three gallon shrubs.

Then have a 50'x 40' area in a courtyard with restricted acess (a single door to the outside, no heavy equipment) with a drainage problem. I have to dig up the old drain pipe and redo the system. After installing the pipe I have to add topsoil to the clay dirt to then sod with zoysia.

I bid $1300 for materials and $3600 for labor.

First major bid for a landscaping job after getting my lisc.

Am I any where near the worth of this project?

On your landscaping bid do you list the material cost along with a labor cost or do you add the labor cost to each plant?

Thanks guys

grasssin
03-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Come on guys help me out here at little please

EagleLandscape
03-20-2004, 02:19 AM
You can get a pretty good basis for labor costs by taking material costs and then multiply that by 2. That should give you a cost for labor to play around with a little bit.

Make sure you take into consideration if anything could go south with digging up that old pipe, and you possibly having to eat the cost of something. Bid in a little extra to cover anything that could go wrong.

It would help pricing if you knew how many flowers, how many yards of soil, and how many shrubs you were putting in though.

grasssin
03-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys for the help at least jwingfield2k took the time to answer.

By the way the materials only amount to $1300 padded about $175 in case I miscalculated somewhere.

The project is going to require about 60 man hours of labor to dig drainage system, once pipes are in place remove old soil about 2" and bring in new topsoil to sod 50'x 40', redo a 8'x8' flower bed, and then plant the plants.

No way doubling the cost of the plants will get me what I need.

Does $3600 for labor sound like a good price? Way more or way less?

grasssin
03-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Sorry it is 6 flats of flowers, 10 one gallon shrubs, eight three gallon shrubs, and three 15 gallon shrubs.

Tim Canavan
03-23-2004, 11:56 AM
If you triple or quad the amount of the materials you will be fine. It's kind of difficult to give a detailed bid without being there. I hope you get it. Good luck.

NickN
03-23-2004, 12:26 PM
How deep is the drain pipe?Digging in clay,by hand?Better add some time to that 60 manhours.How much soil are you removing?How much are you bringing in?(Yards wise)I assume you're going to have to wheelbarrow the old clay soil out?
Can you get a small walkbehind trencher in the gate?That'd beat digging in clay by hand.
3600 sounds right to me if you can do it in 60 manhours.

grasssin
03-23-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks guys,

NickN where in Alabama?

NickN
03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
ummm..........,Somewhere north of you :) Waaaaaaaaay north of you.

Artistic Blooms
03-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I break down my bill into specific catergories. I have a page for materials listed individually and a labor page with a breakdown also. If your digging in hand by clay defintly add some more hours. Good Luck

Artistic Blooms
03-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Ooops digging in clay by hand

grasssin
03-24-2004, 07:16 PM
thanks guys for the help, already submitted the bid and hopefully hear from them next week.

grasssin
03-24-2004, 07:17 PM
NickN how about Florence or Huntsville?