PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Parking Pad

matthew horner
03-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Hello everyone..............

I've been challenged with cutting into a small bank (1/5 feet up for 18feet run) and installing a parking/turn around pad. I've done small concrete jobs, but this is different. Any ideas? I understand forming (as in forms on the borders) but don't completely understand how to estimate how much concrete to use, or what tools I'll need to smooth (float?) it out. Also, what TYPE of concrete should I get? Should I use reinforcement bar, and if so, what does this involve?
Thank you for your advice-----all,
Matt

landscapingpoolguy
03-20-2004, 10:18 AM
what is 1/5 feet up? I would use 5000lb test .....build your forms and have the cement delivered .....I would do a 6 inch road base....use wire mesh and rebar ontop of that.....prolly some footings too, maybe one in the middle of each pad, that will totally keep it from moving...well as far as prepping the cement you float the top....score your edeges....make your you have even joints...broom the surface for texture ..keep it wet after yur done. The longer it takes to cure the harder it will be.....Are you planning on doing any stamped concrete? and how many square ft actually is the job?

Chuck

aries
03-20-2004, 10:37 AM
I agree w/Landscapingpoolguy also make sure you are prepared with enough help because if the concrete sets up on you quickly your in trouble you will never be able to finish it properly.:blob2:

landscapingpoolguy
03-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Aries where in NJ are you?

Trim Creations
03-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Iwould use a 3500 psi with air and fiber mesh and put in some wire. if its just parking for your average truck or car dig it up put in 3inch of sand then copact it. if its round use masonite siding for the corners and stake it about every foot for stability. What kind of finish broom or smoth. dont over work it with a whirly bird.

aries
03-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Landscapingpoolguy I am in morris county east hanover area but I am building a house in fredon sussex county and will be moving in april or may how about you!

hole in one lco
03-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Call the cement supplier and give them the measurement and they will tell you how much cement you will need.

When your work with cement timing is every thing. As for the float you cant pay a guy enough its a art what thous guys do.

HIRE A PRO.......... PREFERABLY A UNION GUY

landscapingpoolguy
03-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Aries in The Wayne Area......What kinda stuff do you do mostly maint, or design install? or both?

Chuck

aries
03-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Landscapingpoolguy I do alot of the construction end did alot more maintenance years ago and starting that end back up again I like to have the steady flow of money coming in and the lawn maintenance pretty much guarantee's that for me

Joe