PDA

View Full Version : Name that Critter!

Shady Brook
03-20-2004, 12:23 AM
I have two yards with a reoccuring problem. In the spring these two yards, every couple years have a race track cut into the grass. What I mean is, there is a path about 1.5" wide that runs around a section of yard. The path is filled with the dead grass that was torn out, and lays on the surface of the path. You just rake the dead loose stuff out, and you have bare ground all around the path.

I don't think they are mice, could it be a shrew? Is this the practice of a shrew? I have not seen ground squirels do this, or gofers. I can't figure out what these little buggers are. Any ideas. Any good deterents for them next year, any good trapping methods this year?

Thanks a bunch
Jay

Russ
03-20-2004, 04:47 AM
The race tracks are make by voles (the American field mouse). Check and see if the race tracks are near decks, mulch beds wood piles ect. The voles will make their winter homes in these areas where they will propagate. The paths or race tracks are areas they use regularly in in winter to forage.

GarPA
03-20-2004, 04:50 AM
sounds like voles as Russ mentioned.

they are nocturnal (active at night)
try mouse traps with peanut butter..it works

GroundKprs
03-20-2004, 04:54 AM
See if this is your problem, Jay: http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/allPDF/ro_b177.pdf.

Voles and mice will tunnel like that in turf, and sometimes damage shrubs by stripping bark all around trunk near ground. D-Con or similar in the run, covered with screen stapled down to keep birds and kids out of bait, will work. Just keep replenishing bait until it is not eaten, and your critters are gone.

Shady Brook
03-20-2004, 08:46 AM
You fellas are awsome! Voles it is, fits every description. Would an application of a pest repellant in the winter be of any use in areas where they seem return? Thanks for the suggestions, and D-con is at one site already. Great suggestions on preventing the poisoning of the birds Jim, thanks.

Take care
Jay

Randy Scott
03-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Also, look for areas within the trails that are mounded piles of grass. You'll be able to see areas that look more like a nest than just the tracks. This is usually their nest and you will be able to find their youngin's. Just kick around the piles and you'll uncover the babies, then fricken' squash them with your boot. Helps eliminate the heard.