PDA

View Full Version : Deck spraying for weed seeds?

Blade O Grass
03-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Has anyone ever wondered if there is a way to spray under your mower deck with a herbicide to keep from transfering a weed from one lawn to another?

I saw a man spraying something under his mower deck when I was out walking my dog. I walked past and decided to go back and ask. I thought he might have been putting a nonstick spray on.

He said he was spraying a weed killer under there because he didnt want to spread the seed fromm weeds in that lawn to another lawn he had to cut down the road.

My question is ..... Do they make a spray for that and is that a legal use of a pesticide.

James Cormier
03-20-2004, 11:14 AM
waste of time, dont bother you dont spread seeds from lawn to lawn with mowers

TSM
03-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Blade O Grass
[B]

He said he was spraying a weed killer under there because he didnt want to spread the seed fromm weeds in that lawn to another lawn he had to cut down the road.

[B]

Now thats a poor misinformed individual!

Definite waste of time
waste of $$$
and most likely illegal (i've never read a herbicide label that states its use for mowing decks)

Blade O Grass
04-04-2004, 01:55 AM
I kinda thought the same thing. I would be afraid the pesticide would corrode my mower or somthing over time. I still am not sure about the weed transfer, I need to get some facts on that. If I get worried about that I will just wash it with water real good first before I go to another lawn.

Luscious Lawns
04-04-2004, 12:42 PM
I cut turf ranging from very detailed to very rough. I don't see underside buildup of seeds as much of a problem as seeds falling onto the deck/floor bord of the mower. For this I usually use a BP blower to remove the clippings/seedheads from the mower before I leave the rough landscape.

EJK2352
04-05-2004, 03:48 AM
The herbicide won't kill the weed seeds, and it will accelerate the corrosion of your mower deck. I have yet to see a herbicide labeled w/ a mower deck weed seed control label. Just blow the mower off after you mow a weed patch yard, and you'll be good to go.