PDA

View Full Version : Trailer flats

specialtylc
03-20-2004, 12:58 AM
How many flat tires do you guys get in a year on your mow trailer? We have a tandem axle trailer and we average 5 or 6 flats a year. Almost always the rear tire. One time we had one that we didnt notice right away and when we stopped it was super hot and about the size of a wheel barrow tire. The tire shop had a heck of a time taking it off.

Phishook
03-20-2004, 01:28 AM
Too many. The right rear usually.

charlies
03-20-2004, 01:45 AM
we run 3 tandem axles all season long, out of all three, maybe one or two a season. i would think that 5 or 6 is unusual.

Del9175
03-20-2004, 03:48 AM
Put a bottle of Slime in each tire. I haven't had a flat since. This stuff works wonders. I had an older walk behind that was semi retired. The tires had some many plugs in them it was unbelievable. I had to fill the tires every morning (sure I should have put some new tires on it but who has the time). I had let it sit for about three months on flats. Well a time came when I needed it. The tires were in bad shape at this time. I put a bottle of Slime in each tire, and have yet to add air. Its been almost a year.

mtdman
03-20-2004, 04:01 AM
Haven't had a trailer flat in a couple 'o years.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Single axle trailer. Never had a flat. 15 months and going strrong.

Randy Scott
03-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by charlies
we run 3 tandem axles all season long, out of all three, maybe one or two a season. i would think that 5 or 6 is unusual.

That's what I thought as well, yet year after year that's the case. I have found, and I stress to our help, to NOT pull the trailer off the road when servicing customers. I don't want them pulling a foot off into the gravel. That's where all the crap from the roads end up (metal, glass, nails, etc.) Our right side tires usually are the culprits, hence staying on the road now. Pulling an extra foot off the road isn't going to save any lives in my mind. People can learn to slow down when approaching our unit. Also, this eliminates any potential for damage to a customers lawn from our vehicles. The tandem axle trailers are way more susceptible to picking up debris when making sharp turns and twisting the sidewalls all out of whack as they do. We get a fair amount up on the sides where you really can't put a plug, the we tube them for repair.

timinkc
03-20-2004, 10:00 AM
"slime"...is that what it's called?

sounds like something i need to look in to.

Lbilawncare
03-20-2004, 11:38 AM
We try to rotate our tires as the back tires wear a lot faster than the front. We still have to replace about 2 tires each every season on two of our trailers. Not from leaks, just wear down to the radials.

bob
03-20-2004, 04:55 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=51781&highlight=flats

GrassBustersLawn
03-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Last season I had 1 flat in my single axle trailer & 5 flats (all rear tires) in my dual axle trailer. Seems like the first axle kicks the nail (or screw) up and the second axle runs over it and drives it right into the tire!

Mike