PDA

View Full Version : the pickup man?

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Is it just me or am i starting to notice an increasing amount of "landscapers" out there if you want to call them that , it seems to me that anyone out there with a lawn mower and a pickup calls themselves a "landscaper" i think i saw at least a dozen new local contenders last year alone , not that im worried about loosing business but they seem to be selling themselves short by underbidding waaaaayyyy to much , reading one of the other articles were the person said they charge $10per man hour HAHA
ill sub some work out to that guy hehe. ive got a certificate in horticulure and have been in the business for 6 years and i wont even call myself a landscaper.
sorry that is just something i had to get off my chest, we all had to start somewhere but i had to earn the title that i have why should they be different

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 12:41 PM
not many responces to this one i guess

Runner
03-20-2004, 01:51 PM
This has been going on for over 20 years. Every year, a few more come in, and a few more go out. I broke off on my own in '84, and believe me, I've seen alot of 'em come and go.

alpine692003
03-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Yes, a lot will come and go ...

Lux Lawn
03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Everybody sees them every year they come out of the woodwork it seems like.When we started the guys that have been in business for years probably said the same thing about us.

jajwrigh
03-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Every season I see new people who just want to make a buck and after a few months they start to dissapear. They aren't consistent, their work sucks, and the equipment doesn't last! So to me its just part of the usual spring scene.

rodfather
03-20-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm actually seeing less and less of these kinds of guys in my area...fine by me.

mtdman
03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
It's the scrub cycle. I try not to worry about them. Sounds like you know your stuff, have the experience to back it up. Don't worry about the cheapo customers that price shop, sell yourself on quality and expertise. Don't worry about the scrubs.

chimmygew
03-20-2004, 07:15 PM
This is the worst year in my area in the 9 years I've been in biz. So far I have counted 16 newbies in a town of only 6000. Ohh well, you get used to it after a while.

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 07:19 PM
they are more annoying then anything underbidding then disapearing a month later when they get tired of doin the work

bastalker
03-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Its funny this thread pops up pretty much every other day. These so called scrubs dont no anything about the biz, but more than half of them in a couple of years will be on here posting the same type of thread. If they arn't on here posting, they will pretty much have a handle on things.

Just curious as to how your first year in buisness was.......

Be good to your customers, an they will be good to you, an no other lco will be able to sway any of them......

mickman
03-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Not that I would ever like to see any "DROUGHTS" , but when they do come, it weeds them out like round-up. Here in Maryland,
there are so many so called landscapers, but when the tough get going....they get going!

brucec32
03-22-2004, 12:54 AM
I believe the expression is....."I'm in the lifeboat, pull up the ladder".

Why so much complainin' about competition, be it high end or not? Everybody had to start somewhere.