PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise on buying ZTR

movintomo
03-20-2004, 01:09 AM
I am looking to buy a good quality commercial ZTR for mostly residential use, but I am considering going into the business. I have 3 acres of lawn at my house that is somewhat hilly.

I am retiring from the Marine Corps next month and I really don't want to work for anyone. I am trying to decide whether to do electrical work or lawn care.

I want to buy a quality used or demo mower . I saw a Wright Sentar on Ebay that has 41 hours on it. Is this a good mower or should I go with Toro, Exmark etc...

I want to do a good job quickly at my house and at customers houses!!! I have a Bunton 61" walk behind that will probably work for my house, but I have spent a lot of years on my feet and my knees may not be up to the job.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sam

Tonyr
03-20-2004, 03:31 AM
a great commercial ztr is the new toro z588e.

Specs etc are on toro's web site, mine is going great.

metro-hp_48
03-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Had planned to buy a Wright Sentar for the last few years. Still would, but may be leaning more towards Hustler, now. The Wright is a fine mower........you can use it as a stander, or set on it.
Regardless which one you buy (any comm. grade) I have a feeling you'll be able to overcome, adapt, and improvise! (no doubt)

.........and welcome to the forum, movintomo!

sgoalie23
03-20-2004, 04:22 PM
go with the exmark lazer z 60", you will not be dissapointed

bayfish
03-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Hustler ztr's are great mowers....give them a look if you have a dealer near by.

Mlc gmc03
03-20-2004, 05:19 PM
a scag turf tiger would be a great choice i love mine

chuckwk
03-20-2004, 05:21 PM
demo, demo, demo ... then demo some more.

GrassFearsMe
03-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Husquvarna got a nice machine. Real fast too.

Ohio_Man
03-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Sam,
I bought a Husler Super Z with a 72" deck last year to mow 3.5 acres with some hills at the rear of my lot. I had almost every ZTR you can name on demo and used my neigbors on both sides ZTRs. One has a Toro Z Master 72" and the other has a Bob Cat 60". They both agree for the money , the cut and time I have the best mower. I modified mine at the end of the year by adding a dual blade adaptor and air operated discharge cover. With the dual blade adaptor I have a std. blade on the bottom with a gator blade on top in an "X" arrangment. I have all most no visible sign of clippings. I also added an air operated discharge cover which is great when you do not want to through your clippings on walks or flower beds. On the hills it's great, walks right up them like a mountain goat. But I agree with someone else in here, demo, demo, demo, thats what I did.
Mike

bayoulawn
03-21-2004, 12:26 AM
If there is a Bad Boy dealer in your area, check one out.
Youll be glad you did.

thegreenjeansman
03-21-2004, 01:06 AM
hey sam, i just bought my first exmark lazer hp 2 days ago, plus a little exmark metro, i did a lot of groundpounding in and out of the service and i know how those walk behinds get on the legs , even with the sulkys.
my new exmark lazer let me do 2 of my normal days work in about 8 and 1/2 hours on a friday, boy was it nice to get a weekend off,took me a little bit to get the zero turn down to a smooth line but was definitly easy on my back and feet. if you can find a demo at a good price you can't go wrong with an exmark.
semper fi

mbricker
03-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite, Jarhead.

What did you do in the Corps? Electrician or electronics tech, I'm guessing? When my platoon had maintenance duty for a week in boot camp, they made me an electrician. That's right, the 6'3" guys always got picked to change light bulbs. That was in '67. They still do that when you went through?

ceytl
03-21-2004, 07:18 PM
You said you were looking to buy a good quality commercial ZTR for mostly residential use
The problem with most ZTR mowers is that they are to big for residential yards. Many houses have fence gates that are 39" wide. The best commerical machine I have seen for residential use is made by Gravley
http://www.gravely.com/OPM34Z/
This ZTR deck is only 34" and bagging or mulching is optional.
I also like Dixon, they have a low center of gravity so they perform wonderful on steep hills.
http://www.dixon-ztr.com/
I like the new RAM series. Welded steel frame and 22hp V-twin or 19hp v-twin kawi. IZT hydrogear transmission. Built solid and mulches wonderfully with gator blades.
Good luck finding a ZTR.

cecilcountylco
03-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Just got Toro Z500 60"/27hp kohler about month ago. This machine cuts great, has plenty of power, z-stand is clever. One concern is the weight; it is very heavy, not really suited to smaller lawns (something to think about maybe if you're cutting professionally).

movintomo
03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
"What did you do in the Corps? Electrician or electronics tech, I'm guessing? When my platoon had maintenance duty for a week in boot camp, they made me an electrician. That's right, the 6'3" guys always got picked to change light bulbs. That was in '67. They still do that when you went through?"

Thanks for all the replies. I will keep an open mind until I get to Missouri next month and check availability in my area.

I joined in '84 and I was lucky enough to have a contract that said I was going to be an Aircraft Electrician. I have had a great time over the last 20 years, but I am really ready for a change. When I joined I thought I would see the world for a few years and then settle down. I saw more of the world than I was really interested in and now it is time to settle down and spend some time with the wife and kids.

30 days or 30 years "once a Marine, always a Marine"