PDA

View Full Version : echo power boost tornado engines or stihl/shindaiwa 4 strokes?

joed
03-20-2004, 03:19 PM
I wanted to get some feedback as to which engine is better to go with, the echo power boost tornado engine or a 4 stroke model from either stihl, shindaiwa or honda? The echo seems to be the a simple two stroke design that tries to make more efficient use of gas and air to reduce emisssions and increase fuel economy whereas the 4 stroke engines seem more complicated and add more weight to a unit. What experiences has anyone had in terms with:
1. The echo powerboost tornado engine brought out in 2003.
2. Shindaiwa C4 engine
3. Stihl 4 mix engine
4. Honda 4 stroke engine.

Thank you

jajwrigh
03-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Echo makes a good unit in my opinion. Everyone will tell you what their favorite is, but I think your 1st 3 choices above will be the most popular. What not post a poll?

joed
03-20-2004, 06:39 PM
I'd like to post a poll but how do you do it once the initial thread has been posted?

ceytl
03-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Echo is having a tuff time with their engines. They do not meet tuff card tier II or EPA phase II requirements.

The stihl 4 mix engine is a rip off the Shindaiwa C4. Shindaiwa is currently suing Stihl for stealing patent technology on the C4.

I like Shindaiwa's C4 the best. It has been on the market for two years and has had great success. They have worked many of the problems with this technology and have an update kit for older machines in the market.

I also like Honda's trimmer; however. I think it is way to heavy. Weight is a big deal, especially if you are holding the trimmer for more than 15 min at a time.

joed
03-22-2004, 09:57 PM
I thought that Echo's new power boost tornado engine meets all EPA requirements through 2006. Their idea to recirculate the exhaust gas is similar to what many diesel engine manufacturers are doing.