PDA

View Full Version : Am I making a mistake going into lawn care?

snippy
03-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi folks, I would like to work for myself and want to get into the whole gardening scene but I see a lot of other operators in my area, am I wasting my time, is the industry at saturation point, can it handle another operater?
I want to do residential only and have all new equiptment and a trailer lined up which I will pay cash for, so I wont have any debt hanging over my head, is it worth it?

Lux Lawn
03-20-2004, 04:48 PM
If this is truly your passion and want to do it and can see this being the last job you will ever have then I would say go for it.
Good Luck

FFMED74
03-20-2004, 06:43 PM
I say yes it is worth it. If this is something you like try it for a season or two, but know that there is really a lot a work out there, just don't try and go low on your bids, that hurts all those other guys out there and drives the market down. Make sure you get insured though, protects you and your customer, plus it , I feel, gives some crediblity to your biz. Just my opinion.

lavan
03-22-2004, 03:09 PM
I agree also. You should give it try and there is a ton of work out there. Just don't give up.

Good Luck!!!

goodbeus
03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
You need to go work for someone for at least 6 months...you'll find out if this is what you want to do...it will give you a good foundation as well...to many guys buy all their equipment and then get out of it a few months later...wasted time and money...

vadeere
03-22-2004, 05:34 PM
When you choose to do something you are truly passionate about, it is the last day of your life you will "work".

snippy
03-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I am really amazed at the level of satisfaction the posters here seem to have with their lawn and garden ventures. Mostly you seem to be very happy with your chosen proffesion, and hardly have a bad word to say about it.

A-1 Lawn Care
03-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by snippy
Hi folks, I would like to work for myself and want to get into the whole gardening scene but I see a lot of other operators in my area, am I wasting my time, is the industry at saturation point, can it handle another operater?
I want to do residential only and have all new equiptment and a trailer lined up which I will pay cash for, so I wont have any debt hanging over my head, is it worth it?

A-1 Lawn Care
03-24-2004, 04:45 PM
We have made the commentment also! Have spent nearley $10000 with only two cust. We will get more because we made the commentment now.We were retired!!!!!! so much for that now. Have gone to new equp.like Scag and echo and Honda
GOOD luck!!!!

grasssin
03-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Dont you think that is the way in ANY business you get into? If you start an insurance company for instance, it is not like you are the first to do it. You just have to be better than everyone else, remeber it is all in the details..

Team Gopher
03-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Snippy,

If you want to make it happen, you will make it happen :)

monkey9197
03-25-2004, 02:14 AM
make sure u buy only the equipment u need

indmowing
04-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Don’t you think that is the way in ANY business you get into? If you start an insurance company for instance, it is not like you are the first to do it. So True!!! We do seem to like to isolate our industry from others, when any business is fundamentally the same. We all have competition in every business. Competition is what should make your business great, it's what makes you go that extra mile.

You wouldn’t believe how many people have asked this exact same question before you Snippy, I am sure it get brought up in conversation I have with people, or emails we receive AT LEAST once a week.

In Australia there is a lot of demand, and there have actually been a lot of contractors drop out in the last two years due to the drought. Those who are in for the long haul are enjoying the ummm rains now (well in most places). The drought did get rid of a lot of “backyarders” or as is commonly referred to on here “scrubs”.

You want residential work, then you won’t have any problems. Just be fair, reliable and a good personality always helps with residential accounts. Good quality work will bring in referrals. You going to be using an edger? Just curious?

I suggest you do get insurance, say $5 Million public liability is enough. Not only does this give your customers confidence when using your service it works as an advertising medium and a huge advantage to your image. Not to mention piece of mind etc. we all know how easy it is for a rock to flick up and break a window, my concern would be if a person was standing in front of that window.

If you're metro adelaide you'll probably be using 19 or 21" mowers I am guessing. Pretty light start up in these instances which is great. If by chance this is not the job for you there is not that much of an investment lost. Trailers pretty much hold their value and the equipment can be used for personal use or sold with the business, depending on how far you went.

But if this is what you want to do and you stick to it, you'll do well! Just don't go in half hearted, and make sure you treat it as a business and take it seriously, you're not in the employment of others anymore.

Take care all

Ebony

snippy
04-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks for your words of encouragement indmowing, I have a near new Victa four stroke mower and have just purchased a BG 65 blower and fs85 trimmer and I also have a small chainsaw that I recently purchased for use in my hobby which is Bonsai.
Why are you curious about an edger, do I need one of those too?

Originally I enquired about a franchise but they just seemed to be a waste of money to me, I suppose they're good for people who need a lot of support but I already have a strong background in sales and business/ marketing so I would rather do it all myself, more of a challenge too which I like.

I priced a new trailer but decided to just convert my own 6x4, it's rough but ready, the original trailer was constructed from an old caravan chassis by my father who passed it on to me, I made the boxes myself using scrap steel from a salvage yard, theres no top on the trailer so I can fill it up with green waste, so I guess the trailer would only owe me about 300 dollars all up.

So far I would have spent about fifteen hundred dollars, not including the mower or chainsaw which I bought for non business purposes before, a lot cheaper than a franchise which run at around twenty thousand!!!
I'd rather buy the good wife a new car than hand my dough over to them :D

So if the whole thing falls in a big hole for some reason I'll be able to live with that expenditure, plus I'll have the wickedest household blower and trimmer in the street, wont the neighbours be envious LOL

indmowing
04-02-2004, 06:10 PM
I am glad you didn't go the way of franchising :) You should know I am not a big fan of the franchise system and I do not agree with anyone paying those amounts of money for some support. We put up a whole section on our website relating to franchises etc.

You don't need an egder, you might want to consider one in the future when you rbusiness is established. Grow and improve.

Wow Bonsai eh? Very nice hobby you got there

If you have sales background that is fantastic, you are miles ahead of many contractors already

Nice Trailer.

BTW. If you need discount pricing on anything give me a yell!

Ebony