PDA

View Full Version : The scrub cycle

TMlawncare
03-20-2004, 04:26 PM
In my area, this is how the scub cycle works. At the beginning of each year, usually around mid-April, you will begin seeing people soliciting lawn business who you have never seen before. These people will be hungry for the dollar. They have a mower, a truck (sometimes a station wagon will suffice), a weed eater and depending on the person a blower or broom. Hence, everything you need for a sucessful operation. They get the ads and flyers out, the prices gather the attention of your clients and sometimes poses questions. By the end of April you see them at work. They whiz through a yard in no time at all. Some trim a few items others will take care of it next week. When they are done mowing they will eye the property to see if blowing by ways of the mower is in order, broom or not worthy of blowing at all. Debris, they are too focused on the days route or the afternoons softball game to worry over this, if they can't mow over it they will push it out of the way. By the end of May, they usually find that the hot weather and dust makes this more work than necessary so they find the local unemployment office and we work for them till a new, better job pops up. In the mean time their customers just wait and wonder about what is holding their LCO up. They usually never find out and that's why our phones light up by late spring. Then next April the cycle begin all over again,

Lux Lawn
03-20-2004, 04:46 PM
In the late spring just say Thank You to all of your new customers.

jajwrigh
03-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Sounds about right tm.

bastalker
03-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I am intrigued by this post. Are you posting this because you are losing customers to these so called scrubs?

If you are, you need to build a better repore with your customers. A repore that no lco, no matter how low they go, cant touch..

If lowballers or scrubs, as you call them are taking customers away, you might want to re-evaluate your client relationships..

If you are not losing customers, then the post was futile....

TMlawncare
03-20-2004, 05:26 PM
bastalker, never said I was losing any of my accounts to these guys. The post was intended to spur some interest. We have about a 97% retention rate. The problem is gathering new accounts in the early spring. They post prices that overshadow the rest of the legimate industry. People keep there prices in mind for a long time. You can go on about service, but at the beginning of the season they can tell the customer anything about service they want to here. When they quit and the customer has to go searching for another LCO they sometimes question the price difference, not the service. Once you sign them and the quality of work is top nopnotch, they figure it better be because your making a killing at that price. When you need to ask for a raise down the road eyebrows sometimes rise.

Randy Scott
03-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by TMlawncare
[B The post was intended to spur some interest. [/B]

Being a new member, you should type the word "scrub" into the search feature. You'll see that this subject has been beat more than a red-head stepchild. I for one, could puke over this subject. So truthfully, there is no need to discuss it. We all know the cycle and ways of the business.

I would imagine you ARE talking about a "scrub" not "scub" correct. Like you stated in your first sentence.

Mykster
03-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
I for one, could puke over this subject. So truthfully, there is no need to discuss it. We all know the cycle and ways of the business.

I'm with ya on that.

TMlawncare
03-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Randy, new member check the stats, 2002. I don't post a lot but I read a lot of posts. Sometimes a topic that has been beat to death is still on peoples minds. A lot of the "new members" as well as a few old one still face the issue daily. Maybe we can beat it a little more and come up with some fresh ideas. Sometimes those that complain about old topics really don't have to much to offer in the way of new ideas.
By the way I didn't put the "R" in scrubs in the first sentence. Wow, a typo maybe you should get a new job as a spell checker.

bastalker
03-20-2004, 06:07 PM
TM.....You stated that these so called scrubs dont have any effect on you. You have a 97% retention rate.

All Randy an I am asking, if this is the case, why post this question in the first place.

Scrubs an lowballers are a part of the biz, if they are not effecting you, dont beat a dead horse......

Randy Scott
03-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by TMlawncare
Wow, a typo maybe you should get a new job as a spell checker.

I probably should because everybody is too lazy to use the one at the bottom of the f 'in page. You want to criticize scrubs, you better be perfect then.
All the talk on here about scrubs, I guaranfuggintee half the people on this site are scrubs as far as I'm concerned.

TMlawncare
03-20-2004, 09:45 PM
First of all, I should have known better than to start a scrub thread, but guys the season is starting and they are one major issue we have to deal with. Scrubs do effect me, I've been fortunate not to have lost any existing business to anyone. The problem is with new potential accounts. Their pricing hinders the rest of us. This is when we need to be at our most aggressive state. There is a lot more people in the market that are seeking out our service due to time issues in their own life. Who they give the business to is up to us. What price they believe is fair is also up to us. Many customers have no clue to what a maintenance program will cost until they start calling around.

Albemarle Lawn
03-20-2004, 10:57 PM
custom built for scrubs who have no gas money!

Albemarle Lawn
03-20-2004, 11:04 PM
This one was actually designed as a THESIS by MIT engineering student, Michael Shakespeare.

Click here for details: http://www.art.net/Studios/Hackers/Tower/hpvs.html

hmmm....a SHAKESPEARE!!!....from MIT!!!

If this is all our nation's "best and brightest" can come up with, folks, we as a nation are in serious trouble:cry:

The world is getting a little too artsy-fartsy for me these days!

KB

lawnworker
03-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Even though the issue has been beat to death, it still is an issue that needs to be discussed from time to time. It was said along time ago that if things keep up we will all be battling each other to cut for free.
The fact that new customers are becoming so hard to acquire at a decent rate can in part be blamed on (scrubs). The rest is the lack of knowledge of new owners that don't know the real cost of their business. They can do more damage to a market then the scrubs, due to the fact their service quality is high and their prices are low, but both issues are important to me.

craigs lawncare
03-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by lawnworker
Even though the issue has been beat to death, it still is an issue that needs to be discussed from time to time. It was said along time ago that if things keep up we will all be battling each other to cut for free.
The fact that new customers are becoming so hard to acquire at a decent rate can in part be blamed on (scrubs). The rest is the lack of knowledge of new owners that don't know the real cost of their business. They can do more damage to a market then the scrubs, due to the fact their service quality is high and their prices are low, but both issues are important to me.

Agreed!!:)

Craig

tedk
03-21-2004, 09:47 AM
i am sure that some of the people who have been around awhile could write a thread on the cycle of complaining about scrubs. every year around this time, all of the super professionals increase their complaining about scrubs who have the audacity to work in their neighborhoods.

scrub complaining....

somebody call the waaaaaambulance!

gramps
03-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
I probably should because everybody is too lazy to use the one at the bottom of the f 'in page. You want to criticize scrubs, you better be perfect then.
All the talk on here about scrubs, I guaranfuggintee half the people on this site are scrubs as far as I'm concerned.
May be more. So What?

Mack
03-21-2004, 12:22 PM
I just have one thing to say and that is the subject might have been beaten to death, but people still have things to say about it. Randy I am sorry but if your sick of it, don t reply to it. I feel there are to many people saying do a search. If someone has a question let the people that want to answer it answer it. If all you can say is do a search I feel you should not reply. There new info coming out everyday just like new equipement, so what might be old new to you is new news to someone else. Just my openion.

tedk
03-21-2004, 02:30 PM
mack, mack, mack...

you should be extra careful with spelling when randy's around. you do know he is the spelling police, right?

westernmdlawn
03-21-2004, 03:19 PM
why don't you all just take it outside and duke it out? Sounds like thats what you want to do anyway. Good to see a sense of good fellowship and community here. I'm inspired by the sheer level of maturity and commoradery here. Next time I think about making a post, I'll be sure to use the spell checker, the search engine, and the dam@#d please don't chew my head off cause I made a post that someone didn't like buttons.

Cleatus
03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by westernmdlawn
[B]I'm inspired by the sheer level of maturity and commoradery here. Next time I think about making a post, I'll be sure to use the spell checker/B]

next time you make a post you'll use the spellchecker, but not this time...right?lol

Mack
03-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I guess I would just like to read some questions without a person getting slammed for spelling or go do a search. I feel that every person has a right to ask a question without negative feedback. If all you are going to put down is do a search then don't reply. I know I am beating a dead horse, but it seems that all there is anymore is negative feedback instead of helping people. I might be wrong but I stand by my feelings.

Tvov
03-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Sheesh, I just replied to the "what's wrong with LS" thread saying that everything seems fine here, and then I read this thread!

Everyone's got spring fever and/or cabin fever. A few days with temps in the upper 50s should help. Just this morning, it was only 25 degrees!

Oh, and yes, you are right about the scrub cycle. Personally, I don't let it bother me. I don't really want the customers who use scrubs.

tedk
03-22-2004, 12:14 PM
i think many of you are missing the point here, which is that TMlawncare, mack, bastalker and westernmdlawn can't spell.

proenterprises
03-22-2004, 12:30 PM
the key word in the scrub cycle is the cycle. unlike you and I, we will be around for seasons to come, these losers will be done by the end of june.

protouchlawn
03-22-2004, 12:57 PM
westernmdlawn,

An excellent reply to a couple of smart@#% comments!