PDA

View Full Version : Shop Labor Rates

NCSERVICE
03-20-2004, 06:43 PM
What is your local commercial dealership shop labor rate?
Thanks
andrew

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
dont know i feel more comfortable with servicing my own equiptment that way i know the job is done right

ZaK18
03-20-2004, 06:53 PM
$70.00 per hour, but why pay to let a stranger touch your equipment when you can buy a manuel and fix it yourself.

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 06:55 PM
preventative maintenance will save you $$$$ in the end i change oil, sharpen blades clean filters and plugs and gease weekly then go over the machines . fix it befor it becomes a problem

NCSERVICE
03-20-2004, 07:13 PM
I cant beleive the lack of trust you have for your dealerships competitiveimageland. Some landscapers do not have the know how or the time to service there own equipment. some would rather the dealership does it knowing they stand behind there work...

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 07:18 PM
i lost trust with them this last year with the perchase of a new ztr
bobcat for $8000 youd expect a machine to have no down time but with the machine being in the shop 4 times and only having 18 hours on it i said f them and went right to textron and they replaced the whole hydrolic system thank you textron

BSDeality
03-20-2004, 07:29 PM
how much "know how" is involved in changing oil, blades, greasing and cleaning the air filter?

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 07:31 PM
not much at all just some people must have money falling out their A$$ to be spending on service from the mower shops

cantoo
03-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Juat as important as shop rates is what is their markup on parts. I don't really use a Dealer for service other than for parts. I guess I've been pretty lucky the last couple of years to have been able to fix things myself and the fact that they were only minior things helped. This year we are buying a couple of new mowers so a couple of old ones will be resold before they need any major work. As for my truck shop they charge $52 and pass on their discounts to me for parts. They also sell parts to me at their cost plus 10% so it works out good.

NCSERVICE
03-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Yeah that was not handled correctly, ill give you that. they probably could have made a phone call and done that for you. However there are good dealerships out there that want to take care of there customers.

gene gls
03-20-2004, 09:18 PM
My dealers are at $60.00 per hour shop rate. I do regular maintance and depend on the dealer for every thing else. Their time is tax deductable and mine is not. They have the correct tools and receive factory training to know all the in's and out's.

Gene

justmjc
03-20-2004, 09:21 PM
$30 per hour for service...

j fisher
03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I do all my routine maintenance and repairs. Only use dealer for major problems. Luckily, I have had few. As far as parts, I found out it pays to shop around. Example, I paid 24.00 for an air filter at my local dealer for a 15 hp Kawsaki. Talked sh%t to them about the price, but had to have it ASAP. Found out that I can get the same filter through my local NAPA and Hardware store for $13.95. Ordered enough for the season.

ceytl
03-21-2004, 07:33 PM
I would be very careful when shopping for parts. Most parts that are sold thru Napa are after market and do not perform as well as orginal OEM parts. Sometimes after market parts will do; however, if use use those parts it might void your warranty on your machine. I find it best when the landscaper and the mower shop work out a set dicounts on parts and service.
My shop labor rate is $60 dollars a hour.

PLI1
03-21-2004, 07:50 PM
$70 per hour here. They are so busy there is always at least a 2-3 week backlog. I only buy equipment there. I fix my own. If I didn't love working outside so much, I would repair equipment for a living. Good $.

Outdoor Services
03-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by justmjc
$30 per hour for service...

Where did you find the rate of 30 bucks in Michigan???:cool:

NCSERVICE
03-22-2004, 10:21 PM
We are at $62 an hour. We are factory trained and opeesa certified, we are also trained to take care of customers. I dont expect every oil change to come through the shop BSDEALITY however it is good to see your service dept. even when you arent having catostrophic problems... Hopefully some landscapers do see the value in "mower shops".

SWD
03-22-2004, 10:33 PM
The dealer I bought my equipment from is at or around $55.00 pr hour.
I charge $45.00 pr hour.
And yes, I return MY equipment to the dealer for warranty service.
This guy actually likes the fact I take some PITA customers from him:)
I warranty my work for 180 days for a homeowner and 30 for a commercial customer - however, the commercial warranty depends upon the shape of the pos I'm working on.

NCSERVICE
03-22-2004, 10:38 PM
SWD what is PITA?

BSDeality
03-22-2004, 10:40 PM
pain in the izzass

NCSERVICE
03-22-2004, 10:45 PM
haha... I know what a "pos" is. the pita is new for me... cow:can of worms

odin
03-22-2004, 11:30 PM
60 an hour..we do all routine stuff ourselves..only time i let the dealer do work is for the major repairs i cant handle or dont have the tools to do.

Carolina Cutter
12-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I do all my routine maintenance and repairs. Only use dealer for major problems. Luckily, I have had few. As far as parts, I found out it pays to shop around. Example, I paid 24.00 for an air filter at my local dealer for a 15 hp Kawsaki. Talked sh%t to them about the price, but had to have it ASAP. Found out that I can get the same filter through my local NAPA and Hardware store for $13.95. Ordered enough for the season.

You need to make the annual trip to Agri Supply with me in the spring. Air filters, oil filters, blades much cheaper than the dealer.

Heck.....a set of blades for my metro are only about $12.....dealer can't touch that.

sawman65
12-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Heck.....a set of blades for my metro are only about $12.....dealer can't touch that.[/QUOTE]

you may get blades for 12.00 but are they exmark blades???
my labor rate is $60.00 hr.for all those guy's using aftermarket parts,( we
know who you are) go ahead use them and don't support your dealer but when it comes time for a major repair don't think we will push you mower to the front.and a discount price on a mower forget it.i have lco's with whole fleet's of mowers that use oem parts.they buy 3 or more mowers a year and they get to the front of the line.even the one man shows who use my parts
and buy only from me get the vip treatment. when you buy a mower form me
it's just a mower same as all the rest out there.what makes me the largest
dealer in the area???? my service plain and simple you don't just buy a exmark
a hustler or a dixie chopper you get me and my staff with all our staff we have over 75 years experience.

Travis Followell
12-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Our dealers around here charge around $60 hr.

YardPro
12-26-2004, 09:37 AM
dealer here charges $68.00/hr for his minimum wage untrained flunkies.
we have NEVER in 12 years had something fixed correctly there.
we do almost all our own repairs.

TURF DOCTOR
12-26-2004, 10:56 AM
60 and up here on labor,i try to fix most break downs on my own. I do pay high prices for break downs but i have my own shop fix it yourself if you have the time.

jeffex
12-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Turf doctor I used to have a neighbor who's cousin was the sherif in Berea Kentucky. Ray Brandenberg was his name I think . I visited that town back in 1976. Great place. Friendly people. His uncle Elvin was the athletic director or something like that at Berea Colledge.

kkat
12-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Im with you sawman, we work on everything, but the lco's that buy from me get top notch service, my oem prices on parts are just about even with the aftermarket prices, and some are even cheaper! Hell I even do repairs at the job site if its something that can be done on site, the pita's that come thru my door usally just jump from dealer to dealer, word gets around pretty guick who they are, so depending on how they walk thru my door usally sets the (dealer/client) relationship pretty quickly

packerbacker
12-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Heck.....a set of blades for my metro are only about $12.....dealer can't touch that.

you may get blades for 12.00 but are they exmark blades???
my labor rate is $60.00 hr.for all those guy's using aftermarket parts,( we
know who you are) go ahead use them and don't support your dealer but when it comes time for a major repair don't think we will push you mower to the front.and a discount price on a mower forget it.i have lco's with whole fleet's of mowers that use oem parts.they buy 3 or more mowers a year and they get to the front of the line.even the one man shows who use my parts
and buy only from me get the vip treatment. when you buy a mower form me
it's just a mower same as all the rest out there.what makes me the largest
dealer in the area???? my service plain and simple you don't just buy a exmark
a hustler or a dixie chopper you get me and my staff with all our staff we have over 75 years experience.[/QUOTE]

I order aftermarket parts all the time. How the heck is my dealer going to know? He wont!

But the thing is I have a buddy who has connections at Oregon so i get blades for my Encore 48 for $3.00

beransfixitinc
12-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Man.. at $45, we must be too low.

packerbacker
12-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Man.. at $45, we must be too low.

My shop is around 60-65 an hour

Texas Mower Parts
12-26-2004, 06:48 PM
What some of the dealers on this board, non sponsors, don't understand is: 1) Every dollar the landscaper saves is money that can be used for more supplies, equipment, or just food for your family. The Landscape business is cut throat in all areas of the country. These members are just as entitled to save a dollar just as you are, and I'm sure you do every chance you get. So do I. 2) Aftermarket parts are designed to OEM specs and they are cheaper. Every dealer sells aftermarket parts, if they don't they are only hurting themselves. 3) Don't come on a Landscaper based board and start telling the members how to run their business. You are byass, and need to see it from the landscapers side. I for one service any piece of equipment I can. If that landscaper didn't buy it from me, then maybe I should work alittle harder for his business. Money is money! Thanks

I guess I should have started this post off with, "I am a dealer".

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, we charge $55 hr and average a 3 day turn around for ALL customers. Landscapers do recieve priority!

beransfixitinc
12-26-2004, 07:12 PM
I for one service any piece of equipment I can. If that landscaper didn't buy it from me, then maybe I should work alittle harder for his business. Money is money! Thanks

So, what you are saying is, if we have somebody want us to work on a Scag, we should go ahead and service it, charging them our extra cost to obtain Scag parts since we are an eXmark dealer and not a Scag dealer, just to service everything they run? I'm sorry, sometimes, there are non engine related parts needed on something that we're just going to have to turn them away. Just as with Echo and Stihl.. if you're not a dealer for those lines, it's not worth it from the dealer side, or the user side for that piece of equipment to be in our shop (if it's more than carburetor related failure). The problem around here (or it could just be that we are still new in the commercial mower and power equipment section) is that people don't understand that a main factor in what you purchase should be where service is available for that product/brand.

And yes, for some applications we do use aftermarket parts, which is known to the customer, but we must stock OEM parts as well for the occasional warranty, or customer that wishes to have original parts installed on the equipment. We do not tell somebody they are getting original parts and then stick an aftermarket part on it.

Texas Mower Parts
12-26-2004, 07:22 PM
I have a very good relationship with my fellow dealers in my area. I don't sell Scag, but I work on them everyday. I can call another dealer and have the part next day. Sometimes cutters don't want to return to their purchasing dealer and need service. I will always try to service any brand that comes through my door. They know I'm not a Scag dealer and will buy one of my brands next go around, guaranteed!

I also stock OEM parts, and yes I'm aware of warranty procedures. That is not the point of my post. My point is, dealers see things from one side and sometimes forget what retail is all about. It's about SERVICE. If you don't agree with what the landscapers are doing then change professions. That is going to easier than changing the way Landscapers want to run their business.

K c m
12-26-2004, 07:24 PM
not a soul will touch my equipment. period.

Gautreaux's LNG
12-26-2004, 07:27 PM
I am a dealer also, but was a landscaper until about a month ago...

I opened my dealership in April 2004, have been an LCO since 1998. I understand both sides of the story. But, when I was a landscaper I was loyal to one dealer, not because he was the closest or cheapest. He was the best. We had an account with him, my guys could pick up oil, parts, string whatever and he'd put it on account and bill me. We dropped off equipment for repair many times we could pick it up on the way home. His SERVICE was a GREAT ASSET to my business. Saved me time and time is money!!

I decided to open a dealership in my home town because I sold all my accounts in his town and concentrated on my local area only. We had NO quaility dealers in our area who would service LCO's! We had a great first season and the response from the local LCO's was awesome. So I sold my LCO and will concentrate on the dealership exclusively....

What some of the dealers on this board, non sponsors, don't understand is: 1) Every dollar the landscaper saves is money that can be used for more supplies, equipment, or just food for your family. The Landscape business is cut throat in all areas of the country. These members are just as entitled to save a dollar just as you are, and I'm sure you do every chance you get. So do I. 2) Aftermarket parts are designed to OEM specs and they are cheaper. Every dealer sells aftermarket parts, if they don't they are only hurting themselves. 3) Don't come on a Landscaper based board and start telling the members how to run their business. You are byass, and need to see it from the landscapers side. I for one service any piece of equipment I can. If that landscaper didn't buy it from me, then maybe I should work alittle harder for his business. Money is money! Thanks
But I guess being a NONSPONSOR I just don't understand.... I guess my 6 years experience growing a LCO from nothing to a $300,000.00 + gross annual business doesn't apply.... Maybe a sponsorhip would make me a genuis!

My shop labor rate is $50.00 / hour.... but what do I know!

Texas Mower Parts
12-26-2004, 07:35 PM
That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. My problem is when dealers come on this board and run down a cutter because he wants to save himself some money by purchasing online or from a out of town dealer.

I run my business the same way your past dealer did, and I'm sure you do. We take care of anyone and everyone.

Carolina Cutter
12-26-2004, 08:37 PM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, we charge $55 hr and average a 3 day turn around for ALL customers. Landscapers do recieve priority!

Very well put and straight to the point...........