PDA

View Full Version : Universal trimmer head replacement.

matthew horner
03-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Ok here goes. I own an echo, a john deere, and a maruyama trimmer. The heads are horrible on all of them (well, I don't know about the echo yet, as I bought it without the head). I am looking for a universal head that will fit all of them, so I can wind them the same way with the same line. Does this exist?

specialtylc
03-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Try Rotary catalog. Their E mail address is recleisure.com. I have been buying their universal bump heads for years. They will thread on Echo and Tanaka. But not Stihl. Dont know about the other brands. Alot cheaper than the dealer versions.

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 08:20 PM
ECHO HEADS ARE THE WORST HEADS IVE EVER SEEN THEY SUCK

matthew horner
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
is there anything worth the money that can be bought at lowes or home depot?

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
HAHAAHAHHA next question

SCFF
03-20-2004, 08:34 PM
I like the rapid load by echo. I wish Stihl made something like it.

metro-hp_48
03-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Not knowing your particular models of each, there are several diff. brands that are universal. I buy from J-Thomas.com (as well as others) and have a app. guide to show your models. (The Oregon "green machine style" 6" head I just bought came with 3 diff. bolts ....7mm, 8mm, and one size bigger)

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/214.htm

DLCS
03-20-2004, 08:37 PM
I was always going to try the Veri products trimmer head, landscaper supply sells them. I think are more universal type and they have some that will hold 40' of line too.

metro-hp_48
oops..........thought they would have Deere, and maruyama, too.
(my bad)

competitiveimageland
rapid load? cute you are starting to sound more and more like one of these pickup men with every comment you make

DLCS
03-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by competitiveimageland
rapid load? cute you are starting to sound more and more like one of these pickup men with every comment you make

Wow, you just joined yesterday and you're out to slam everyone. Ease up a little. :rolleyes:

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 08:42 PM
sorry just getting on the web

SCFF
03-20-2004, 08:45 PM
What are you talking about?

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 08:46 PM
becuse ive got a cocky attitude guess these guys arent likin it much
i speak whats on my mind

metro-hp_48
03-20-2004, 08:46 PM
I like any head that will "rapidly load" (this Green Machine head seems alot better than the fact. Shind. (hate them when the line-up marks get wore down.....and only a 25% chance of getting it to line up, the first time, with guessing)

SCFF
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by competitiveimageland

What exactly are you saying?

specialtylc
03-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by metro-hp_48
Not knowing your particular models of each, there are several diff. brands that are universal. I buy from J-Thomas.com (as well as others) and have a app. guide to show your models. (The Oregon "green machine style" 6" head I just bought came with 3 diff. bolts ....7mm, 8mm, and one size bigger)

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/214.htm
Most Echo and Tanaka and some other brands have the bolt built into the shaft end. Its not like you can change the bolt size.

competitiveimageland
03-20-2004, 08:50 PM
ill pass on walking around with a pocket full of pixie sticks to stick in my trimmer every five minutes

metro-hp_48
03-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Right specialtycl. Why I tought I was doing good, with a chart showing which universal heads would work which diff. ones..........should have looked at it better before posting that link.

SCFF
03-20-2004, 09:04 PM
You wanted an opinion right? Unless you're cutting through briars, it works good. I use it and usually get through the day without messing with the string. Then it takes about 5 seconds to pull the sting out and add another one.

Randy Scott
03-20-2004, 10:24 PM
We use the rapid load head on all our trimmers. They come with a variety of nuts and adapters. We have them on an Echo, RedMax, and Tanaka trimmers. They are awesome.

I get a kick out of this conversation every time it comes up. Guys that have never used them like to reply negatively although having zero experience with them. We had the garbage bump heads on them. The time spent wrapping them versus slipping three pieces of line in isn't even a comparison. The line will last for two to three facilities that we service. It's not even close to how much is used with a bump feed. When you go to grab the trimmer off the rack of the trailer, it literally takes 10 seconds to put three new pieces in the head.

Whatever the case, those that don't want to use them, don't. I could care less. My time is money, and I save money and time with this set-up. Some people are just afraid of change. Let them be stuck in the old school ways. Anybody that has ever come to work for us that hasn't used them before, think they're the cats azz.

matthew horner
03-20-2004, 11:06 PM
someone is getting added to my ignore list..................
Thanks for the info all, almost. I'm wary of the rapid load because of cost, and my style. I will admit that i've never used them, and I think I'd love to get the same repl. head for all three of my trimmers, if that is possible. Thats what i'm striving for with this post.

I like to maintain about 8 inches of line out of each hole when I cut. If it falls short, I bump it, and bring it out where I want it.

I think if I had rapid load, I'd be doing a lot of cutting with 3 or 4 inches, and that won't cut fast or well (as we know).

I'd be interested in hearing more about the rapid load from some experienced users, because the bump heads do wear out alot, and fast.
Matt

matthew horner
03-20-2004, 11:08 PM
What is rapid load's website?

specialtylc
03-20-2004, 11:17 PM
We get at least 500 hrs out of the bump knob/spools that I buy from Recreational Leisure. And the replacement spool is only $8 . They hold 40 ft of .095 line. These are easy to reload because the spool isnt divided and the line winds together. If I could put them on the Stihl trimmer I also have I would. We do miles of side walks every week If you fellas are wearing out bump knobs too fast you need to quit dragging the head on the concrete.

DLCS
03-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by matthew horner
What is rapid load's website?

http://www.echo-usa.com/echofirsts.asp#Rapid

matthew horner
03-20-2004, 11:57 PM
On what brand of trimmer are your recreational leisure spools?

matthew horner
03-21-2004, 12:03 AM
does recreational leisure have a website for its spools?

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 12:13 AM
recleisure.com is the web address. I dont know if their catalog is online or not. I just call the 1-800-521-6848. Ive been getting the catalog for 5 years.
We use the ones that are like the original Echo heads. Like those best. Also converted our Tanakas to this type. Part # 27-8536

metro-hp_48
03-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Most Echo and Tanaka and some other brands have the bolt built into the shaft end. Its not like you can change the bolt size.

Oh, before I forget specialtylc, the universal heads I buy are a nut/bolt in one (reversible)
No reason to ever have to worry about the bolt size when made into the gear-head. Comes in 3 diff. sizes of each.

matthew horner
03-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Did'nt see the replacement heads on the rec leisure site. I will call my echo dealer monday and see if he stocks the rapid loaders. Do you just cut the line yourself, or is it precut?
Thanks Thanks Thanks

metro-hp_48
03-21-2004, 01:02 AM
I like fixed heads as much as anyone (Shind's. version) and manual head, too.
I could never see wasting that much line with a fixed head (around objects that would promote rapid wear) The left over piece that comes out of my bump head, I would use on a fixed head. Seems too wastful to me. I mean, how long is the piece of line when it gets replaced? ( I know how much was wasted on my fixed head) That said, the Echo appears to be alot easier to load. But I just take a piece, tie a knot in it, and run it out 2 opp. holes)
Alot quicker than their instructions.

matthew horner
03-21-2004, 01:28 AM
seems like you could make a setup like this out of just about any trimmer head

ceytl
03-21-2004, 08:03 PM
I like to use Kwik loader heads or Echo's rapid loader which is the same thing. The best feature about these heads is that you can use .095, .105, .130 and up trimmer line. These heads come with different abor bolts and nuts so you can adapt it to any gas trimmer.
Unverisal makes several heads that the major OEM's use. My favorite head is a RedMax head. 4" tap head, they just updated it by reinforcing the bump knob.

JDRep2
03-22-2004, 11:53 PM
MHorner
Ask your dealer to show you the heads that are going on the new LE Trimmers from Deere. I think you'll like what you see, it gives new meaning to easy load. They have two volume options.