PDA

View Full Version : Mowers - Need your help

jtholmes
03-20-2004, 08:19 PM
I am brand new to this website and the lawn care business. I am about to make some major purchases within the next month. I need to know what size mowers compliment each other. I will be mowing everything from 3 acre lots to small city lots (residential) and commercial business in the near future. I will be getting a 60 inch zero turn but am not sure what size walk behind will compliment it. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Any brand suggestions would help also. I have it down to exmark, toro and great dane but I am open to suggestions. Thanks

FFMED74
03-20-2004, 08:29 PM
I have to say that I have a 48" and it seems very versitile, but the draw back is if you have a bunch of gated yards with a small opening, then a 36 is a much better investment. I would say, even though I don't own one yet, go with the Exmark if you have the money for it. By far the bast handling mow I have ever tested. I will be buying one sooner rather than later. Just my opinion. By the way also take in to account the best service department too.

Dave655
03-20-2004, 08:32 PM
If your going to be doing small city lots with some obstacles I would go with a 36 in gear driven walk behind. I love my walkbehind. It can go anywere. Engines- go with kawasaki or kohler. 15-17 hp. The beat part about this size mower and gear driven, is thier pretty cheap.

DJL
03-20-2004, 08:43 PM
We only have two commercial mowers, both 48", hydro WB. Starting our second year in the biz. I like the mowers versatility. Putting a sulky on it we can cut down the time on our larger, more open lots. Pull the pin and take off the sulky and we can handle two of the steeper hills with ease. Mower doesn't want to flip or go off on it's own. Of course I'm not going very fast, but a good walking pace. They also manage to 'jump' curbs easily. Some of our lots have a lot of curbs (driveway/street) and the hydros handle them pretty good. Unfortunately, we had to turn down people that asked us to do their lawn because of a gate. Our mowers wouldn't fit. It was a trade-off we made. But we do love the versatility of them. Haven't had any other mowers besides a 21" push mower so take my info as that's all I ever had.

Lawn Services Plus
03-22-2004, 10:48 PM
the shop where i bought my mower offers a starter package
(mower,blower,trimmer,trailer)the mower is a 48"wb-I got the
36" because of the gates and small yards.I like the sulky on the
big areas--anything bigger im going for a 48 or 52 zero.by the wa
y its a scag.the deck on this thing is bulletproof i think. Kawasaki
eng runs great

FineScapes
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I have a 2001 52''emark turf tracer 19 hp kaw. with velky . It runs great with about 950 hours in it. Stripes well one day I want a ZTR but first i need a bigger truck for landscaping my V6 Ranger is real nice but can only pull a wb. I want a Full Size Truck soon. Has anyone used the echo string trimmer attachments? I was thinking of getting the Articulating Hedge Clipper and the Power Pruner

John Gamba
03-23-2004, 07:08 AM
60" rider---------------------------------

John Gamba
03-23-2004, 07:10 AM
60" Turf Tracer with jungle wheels, Back up for rider,Bigger hills.

John Gamba
03-23-2004, 07:13 AM
A 48" Metro-Hp. So when you go broke you can go back to being a scrub and do granny lawns:eek:
Oh and all the fixings!!!

John

win1free
03-28-2004, 04:24 PM
John,

I am considering buying a 48" Metro HP for $3,000 or A 36" Metro for $2,500. Do you like the 48" Metro HP and what do you use it for? I noticed you had a 60" TT also, so why the different sizes?

Troy

John Gamba
03-28-2004, 07:21 PM
I bought the 48 with some accounts in mind but i;mm not going to do them. I like the 48 because it does bigger areas and smaller one's too. I needed the 60 TT to support the Lazer for this year. I think i will sell the 48 soon and just run the TT and Lazer.
John

Green Care
03-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
60" rider---------------------------------

John where can I find that Discharge blocker?

John Gamba
03-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Lawnzzz
John where can I find that Discharge blocker?

Tony
Its called the Qwikchute, Its made in Florida and i'll have to find the number BUT you can ask Pj in the hustler forum. They have dealers that sell them. They work great with great customer service.
John

John Gamba
03-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Tony
Its called the Qwikchute, Its made in Florida and i'll have to find the number BUT you can ask Pj in the hustler forum. They have dealers that sell them. They work great with great customer service.
John

Go to wwwqwikchute.com :angel: