PDA

View Full Version : I got THE CALL!

precisioncut
03-21-2004, 12:50 AM
That's right, this morning I was woke up by a customer calling to tell me to hurry over a cut the lawn because the new owners where coming by later. I told her I don't mow on Sat. but I agreed to go and do it anyways. I didn't ask but I hope she tips me for things like that in the future. Or maybe next time I'll have the guts to say NO, I do it on Monday and THAT'S IT!!

Has this happened to you guys, and did you guys cave like me???

metro-hp_48
03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
In that circumstance, I would rush right over. Wouldn't want a tip. Like working 6 days a week.

Would it have been easy for her to call someone else to cut it, if you didn't want to?

driggy
03-21-2004, 01:03 AM
We offer service and thats why customers call us back, but if it happens too often then it is time to bill an extra amount.

mbricker
03-21-2004, 01:29 AM
When you get some kind of request for special service, there's at least 2 ways to look at it:

One, think about the bottom line. It's not likely to be as profitable as your regular work. You made a special trip, didn't you, instead of mowing the lawn when you were in the area for half a dozen or more jobs. I get these kind of things, "We have company coming, could you mow a day ahead of schedule?" I also get stuff like "Could you see if I have a tripped breaker--my microwave won't come on." "Would you mind burying my cat that got run over?" "Do you have time to screw a new showerhead on for me?" Sometimes these things really gripe me--not just the little jobs these people want done, also the 30 minutes of discussion that inevitably has to go along with it. My day is too full to be messing with this stuff. And if I try to charge some old lady 30 bucks for burying her dead cat (and the conversation time that went with it) she's going to think I'm a jerk. Screwed if I do, screwed if I don't.

Then there's option two. If I'm not pressed for time, I really like to do little favors for friends, family, even the people I work for. One of the things I try to remember is there were people who lived near my Mom who went out of their way to help her with stuff, when I was in another town 120 miles away, and couldn't run over there every afternoon. And a lot of my customers are little old ladies whose sons live 120 miles, or 1200 miles away. And I figure if I'm going to claim the title of "human being" it's not going to hurt me much to go out of my way for someone once in a while.

You gotta figure out for yourself, in each situation, whether giving the customer what he/she wants, is "caving" or "doing the right thing."

llama
03-21-2004, 07:16 AM
If you don't work on Saturdays, why would you even think about it? In your post you stated the customer wanted it cut for the "new owners." That means you will not automatically have the contract when the property is sold. The new owners may cut their own grass or have a friend in the business that will start doing it.

My advise is to set your own rules and stick to them yourself.

Soupy
03-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by llama
If you don't work on Saturdays, why would you even think about it? In your post you stated the customer wanted it cut for the "new owners." That means you will not automatically have the contract when the property is sold. The new owners may cut their own grass or have a friend in the business that will start doing it.

My advise is to set your own rules and stick to them yourself.

The current owner might vary well be staying in his current work area. People often move from one home to the other without ever leaving the area.

I don't see anything wrong with helping out in situations like this. Now if the customer always asked for request like this, then I would say something. I had a guy that always wanted me to come back in a day or two. I knew this was because he didn't have money on him at the time (he was a weekly pay). I had to explain that there would be a $5 traveling fee for me to do this. I also told him that in the future he would have to call me for this request because I wasn't going to make anymore stops at his house without charging him for the stop. I never had a problem after that.

I have since added this into my terms and conditions. If you want skipped then you must call at least a day ahead of time or you get charged. If you want us to make a special trip to your house there is a $5 fee for this.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
03-21-2004, 08:12 AM
I got one Friday at 5:00pm from a guy not even a current customer "Can you mow me on Saturday" ummmmmm no I can get you worked in on Monday or Tuesday.

That wont work thanks for calling click.

"A persons procrastination is not my problem"

Heres how I imagine the conversation between his wife and him.

W:Well is he coming
H:No
W:Then you better get your a** out there and mow I've got 10 friends coming tomorrow night.
H:My mower is broke what do you want me to do
W:Go buy one at HD and then take it back Sunday and tell them the damn thing dont work.

precisioncut
03-21-2004, 10:16 PM
***If you don't work on Saturdays, why would you even think about it? In your post you stated the customer wanted it cut for the "new owners." That means you will not automatically have the contract when the property is sold. The new owners may cut their own grass or have a friend in the business that will start doing it.***

In fact I had the new owners sign a contract to be taken over when the old owners leave the current home. In fact that was one of there selling points was to keep the current LCO. See, this will be there winter home. I will also be taking care of the current owners new property around the corner from there current residence.

mower_babe
03-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Mike's Lawn Landscape - one of my favorite sayings is..."Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine." Love the saying, but I will have to admit that I do not follow it very well. If I had the time, I would have probably mowed it also.

Pecker
03-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Precision, if that's the case you probably made the right call. Ya have to know when to or when to not show yer arse. Not saying that I would have done it, because I don't work on Saturday and the only way I'll go to the trouble to load up and go to a job is if I can make several stops during the day (or if it is Winter and I only have a job or two. . .obligations). Then again, I'm not exactly a full - time LCO.

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 10:34 PM
I had a guy call me a couple of years ago on a saturday. He said he needed his lawn mowed today and it was like 3 pm. He was having a big bar beque and his mower had been in the shop for 3 weeks. I told him I dont do one time mowing services and I did'nt have time do it in the next 3 hours even if i wanted to. He was mad because he had been calling every contractor in the phone book for 2 hours. I dont think he ever got it mowed.