PDA

View Full Version : Hippo spraying system question

turfmann
03-21-2004, 06:41 AM
I bought a surplus chemlawn hippo and I have been having a great time rebuilding the plumbing system. I am having trouble with the bypass system. It splits into two - one bypass goes to the top of the tank and discharges, the other connects to a pipe that goes to the bottom of the tank, forks into four pipes with venturi nozzles at each end. The two bypass lines connect at the top of the tank through a pressure regulator. We've rebuilt the regulators (all five of them) rebuilt the two pumps and are satisfied that they work. All we can get the system to do is to discharge through the top, not through the venturis. What am I missing here?

vegomatic40
03-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Check to make certain that the venturis are not clogged with old, dried up material(s). Since access to the bottom of the tank is very tight, I would suggest simply cutting the pvc about 4"-6" down from the elbow, leaving room to re-attach after you have inspected the entire pipe and the venturis. It's pretty common for those to be partially or completely blocked. Use a coat hanger or similar wire to fish out the obstruction. Short of climbing into the tank (damn near impossible unless you are a circus-freak) it's the only way to be sure. I would also suggest vacuuming out the bottom of the tank as old product may have solidified and may repeat the problem once you have removed the obstruction.

turfmann
03-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Thanks, vegomatic. I separated the return line from the hose barb and used compressed air to test the venturi. Got a nice boil on the liquid, so I know that the venturi aren't clogged. I did notice that the line was bone dry. I guess I'll have to disassemble the regulators again. Maybe I assembled them wrong. BTW that comment about the circus freak was great LOL. Climb into enough tanks and that's sure to turn you into one, huh?